UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So what happens to a team testing on Wednesday for a Saturday game, and the test takes 7-10 days to come back? The obvious answer is, there is no game. Time to shut this all down. It has a zero chance of working because the goal posts keep moving, and the rules in each state and conference are all different. You can't operate with 50 different sets of rules. Plus, at this point our schedule is in shambles.

FSU, with its on campus PCR machines and lab has announced same day or next day turn around...the programs, I assume will have their on campus labs like FSU.

And a "play all in conference" rule ensures the control of procedure.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The reason there won't be a season is the math basically doesn't work. It doesn't work in terms of the number of tests, the cost, the number of players available, you name it and it wont work.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Baseball keeps having positive cases, not a good sign for sports not in a bubble.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Medically one of the things that had to happen to have fall football short of a cure is the advent of a cheap, accurate and instant COVid test. Something that anyone can administer daily on hundreds of people. Without cheap instant testing you really can't proceed. P5 schools are going to realize this days before the first game.

Reaction Score
UCONN opponents in All-NE reshuffling:

Sacred Heart
CCSU
URI
Maine
New Hampshire
Army
UMASS
Albany
Stony Brook
Wagner

The ‘buy game’ checks ain’t there BUT it’s football and keeps the kids engaged.

Reaction Score
Medically one of the things that had to happen to have fall football short of a cure is the advent of a cheap, accurate and instant COVid test. Something that anyone can administer daily on hundreds of people. Without cheap instant testing you really can't proceed. P5 schools are going to realize this days before the first game.

Not cheap...but FSU, at least, will be testing 130 folks weekly with same and next day returns....the answer is setting up PCR machines and lab on campus.

Reaction Score
Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests, the NCAA's preferred test, costs on average $100 to $110. Take a football team like Northwestern State's: It would cost almost $8,000 a week to test the 71 players on its 2020 roster.

"Multiply that by 16 weeks," Burke said. "I mean, that's a chunk of money for somebody like us. And I think it is for a lot of schools at the FCS level, to be honest."

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not cheap...but FSU, at least, will be testing 130 folks weekly with same and next day returns....the answer is setting up PCR machines and lab on campus.
Once you have one case you have to do it daily. It takes a few days for COVid to incubate.

Reaction Score
UCONN opponents in All-NE reshuffling:

Sacred Heart (NEC Cancelled Season)
CCSU (NEC Cancelled Season)
URI (CAA Cancelled Season)
Maine (CAA Cancelled Season)
New Hampshire( CAA Cancelled Season)
Army
UMASS
Albany (CAA Cancelled Season)
Stony Brook (CAA Cancelled Season)
Wagner (NEC Cancelled Season)

The ‘buy game’ checks ain’t there BUT it’s football and keeps the kids engaged.

CAA and NEC have already cancelled their fall football season.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Good point-Rutgers is not and never has been a legit B10 Team
... And yet the cash a Big 10 check. Go figure.

Reaction Score
Once you have one case you have to do it daily. It takes a few days for COVid to incubate.

You do know that the incubation period is the time between being infected and the showing of symptoms? The Covid virus is there during incubation and the DNA can be identified by the PCR...

Could someone become infected in the three days between the test and the game...sure...But it really cuts down the odds. Particularly if they isolate from other students in that interim.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
You do know that the incubation period is the time between being infected and the showing of symptoms? The Covid virus is there during incubation and the DNA can be identified by the PCR...

Could someone become infected in the three days between the test and the game...sure...But it really cuts down the odds.
You can still be infected prior to testing positive if your viral titer is below the LOD of the assay.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So if football season gets cancelled what about basketball???
Football is poised to be shelved (tune in next week). Basketball is on deck. I think they will cancel Nov and Dec and then give it a go in January if the vaccines roll out and winter weather doesn't turn this world further upside down (big if).

Reaction Score
You can still be infected prior to testing positive if your viral titer is below the LOD of the assay.

The real time reverse RT PCR's are as precise as you can now get...if the DNA of Covid is there...they should find it better than any other test...

If you can not play with that, scrap all sports until next summer.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
The real time reverse RT PCR's are as precise as you can now get...if the DNA of Covid is there...they should find it better than any other test...

If you can not play with that, scrap all sports until next summer.
I’m aware of how precise RT-PCR is, I run them almost daily. Every test has a limit of detection, even PCR.
Edit- also don’t wanna be that guy, but COVID is caused by an RNA virus, so you aren’t testing for the presence of its DNA, you’re testing for its RNA via the presence of cDNA.

Reaction Score
I’m aware of how precise RT-PCR is, I run them almost daily. Every test has a limit of detection, even PCR.

True...but reverse RT PCR is measures ahead of RT-PCR in levels of virus needed to detect....as it becomes more commonly used, testing will catch more....and, this virus, as you must be aware, is tricky...always false negatives at some level.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
True...but reverse RT PCR is measures ahead of RT-PCR in levels of virus needed to detect....as it becomes more commonly used, testing will catch more....and, this virus, as you must be aware, is tricky...always false negatives at some level.
What is reverse RT-PCR? I have heard of reverse transcriptase PCR (RT-PCR) and qPCR/real time PCR but never reverse RT-PCR.

Reaction Score
Fausti says that vaccines may be here by first of year...count on six months to roll out...but polls right now are saying that 40% of Americans will refuse vaccinations....
The rollout should be much quicker. They are in full production right now on a bunch of them bookkeeping success. The production run for each failed candidate gets destroyed. The long poll in the tent will be getting significant data. That should take three months. End of November we should have a couple apparent winners that get released in December. Guessing they will go to an expedited process. The pressure will be intense on the number crunchers.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Edit- also don’t wanna be that guy, but COVID is caused by an RNA virus, so you aren’t testing for the presence of its DNA, you’re testing for its RNA via the presence of cDNA.
Thank you for being that guy. Was going to say the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom