OT: UConn breaks top 20 public universities in newest US News and World Report | The Boneyard

OT: UConn breaks top 20 public universities in newest US News and World Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn was #27 last year. They are now tied for #19 along with University of Florida, University of Pittsburgh, and Texas A&M. This is UConn's 13th year in a row where they have been the best public university in New England.

One other interesting thing to note, UMass-Amherst is no longer the second best public university in New England (the school that was first prior to UConn's current streak). It is now the University of Vermont. (Aside: If you've ever been there, it is absolutely beautiful.) UConn also passes Rutgers on this year's list.

UConn's graduation rate in 2010 was 81% and the freshmen retention rate was 93%. These are among the highest in the nation.

You can find the whole list here: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...ges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
is that clemson at 25? vt at 28? fsu and ncst at 46? no couldn't be. the acc always says they have 12 schools in the top 5. they are so good at school work. what a joke. anyway, congrats to uconn for making the top 20, next year top 15!!! uconn is rising all around. from facilities to the classroom to the ball fields. amazing!

Reaction Score
What's amazing is the National University rankings. Among Big East schools:
1. Notre Dame (19)
2. Georgetown (22)
3. UCONN and Pitt (58)
5. Syracuse (62)
6. Rutgers (68)
7. Marquette (82)
8. TCU (97)
9. DePaul and Seton Hall (132)
11. Cincinnati (143)
12. St. John's (152)
13. Louisville and WVU (164)
15. USF (181)

Providence, Villanova - considered regional universities

Reaction Score
There have been several snotty posters that have mocked a UConn education on these boards. It's funny, UConn either ranks close to these schools, or, is ranked ahead of these schools.
I'm surprised Villanova is only a regional school. They're located in a major metro area, and should be ranked alongside G-town or bcu.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn was anywhere near the top half when I graduated.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Cool - I went to the #4 Liberal Arts Colleges.

Reaction Score
Cool - I went to the #4 Liberal Arts Colleges.

I too am surprised that Villanova isn't considered national, but they belong below both GTown and BC.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Link to summary of Connecticut rankings, including ranking by specialty (school).
Check it out

Reaction Score
is that clemson at 25? vt at 28? fsu and ncst at 46? no couldn't be. the acc always says they have 12 schools in the top 5. they are so good at school work. what a joke. anyway, congrats to uconn for making the top 20, next year top 15!!! uconn is rising all around. from facilities to the classroom to the ball fields. amazing!

Why don't you highlight UNC or UVA? Or schools like Duke, Gtech, Wake, BCU, which none of the football BE schools even come close to. I'm a BE homer, but I'm not a jerk either.

Reaction Score
Why don't you highlight UNC or UVA? Or schools like Duke, Gtech, Wake, BCU, which none of the football BE schools even come close to. I'm a BE homer, but I'm not a jerk either.

Because the schools that he highlighted are in the ACC, it undercuts the argument that UConn is a school whose academics are inferior to that of the ACC. Duke, Wake, and BC are private schools. Obviously UNC and UVA are superior to UConn, but that isn't the entirety of their conference. Clemson, VT, FSU, and NCSt prove that UConn could academically fit into ACC culture, suggesting that the academic ridicule spent on UConn is foolish and ignorant.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Because the schools that he highlighted are in the ACC, it undercuts the argument that UConn is a school whose academics are inferior to that of the ACC. Duke, Wake, and BC are private schools. Obviously UNC and UVA are superior to UConn, but that isn't the entirety of their conference. Clemson, VT, FSU, and NCSt prove that UConn could academically fit into ACC culture, suggesting that the academic ridicule spent on UConn is foolish and ignorant.
Intelligently and concisely stated. What school did you graduate from?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

exactly.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There have been several snotty posters that have mocked a UConn education on these boards. It's funny, UConn either ranks close to these schools, or, is ranked ahead of these schools.
I'm surprised Villanova is only a regional school. They're located in a major metro area, and should be ranked alongside G-town or bcu.
The classification is dependent on the number of graduate degrees (Masters & PHD) a school offers. Nova is very limited in Masters offerings and likely has very few (if any) PHD programs. PC has even less.

Reaction Score

I haven't seen UConn attacked for academics. They are solid to strong. You can attack the SEC for academics or even b12 a little, but Pac10, ACC and B10 are very strong academic conf generally.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
but Pac10, ACC and B10 are very strong academic conf generally.
Absolutely and Uconn would fit nicely into any of those leagues academically.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen UConn attacked for academics. They are solid to strong. You can attack the SEC for academics or even b12 a little, but Pac10, ACC and B10 are very strong academic conf generally.

It was a lot in the past few years by fellow Big Easters, mainly Cuse and Rutgers, both which UConn passed this year.

Oh and BCU fans (which we also passed.)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

investing 2 billion dollars kinda helped, eh?

Reaction Score
how do you make a gif as your signature i forgot
In your account settings, click on signature, then just either paste it in or use the little tree icon to paste the location of the image/gif.

Reaction Score
Damn. My school, RPI, dropped from 41 to 50 in the National Rankings. Pretty good, but I was hoping they would keep rising, not falling. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom