Uconn 'Better than average chance' of getting in ACC | The Boneyard

Uconn 'Better than average chance' of getting in ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Obviously take this with a grain of salt like everything else.. Interesting to note Pendergast isn't starting until Oct 1 now... is this so the new President has more say?

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/uconn/article/UConn-source-Better-than-average-chance-2177994.php
I hope we do join the Acc. It is a natural fit. We will still have our great games with Pitt and Syracuse and we get a chance to play BC again and there is so much hatred there it makes for a great series. The Acc has good football and will help bring our program along but make no mistake that basket will be great in that conference with our history of Playing Duke in the tourney and also having games against NC and the fact that Syracuse and Pitt are also in the conference. If Uconn does get a chance to Join, I hope another good basketball program joins. NotreDame and Uconn would be a great fit for the ACC. But I think ND chooses the Big 10 in the end. They can basically go where they want right now. We just need Texas to go to PAC 16 so they don't mess up our chance to get into the ACC.

Reaction Score
President has first, second and last in this matter vs AD. She does answer to a board but they usually give perameters and then say go to it.

Reaction Score
If the ACC wants to lock up the Northeast, they have to add Rutgers and UCONN. If the Big 10 adds Rutgers and UCONN, they would have a larger northeastern footprint. Penn State, UCONN, and Rutgers, trumps Pitt, Syracuse, and BC.

Reaction Score
Many believe ACC HAS to take UConn. I hope I am wrong but I'm not convinced it will happen. Too many other scenarios need to NOT happen. Texas and TT have to say no. ND has to say no. If T and TT say no and ND were to say yes, then it would be a choice between Snooki and UConn and I don't like UConn's chances. Hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Texas and Texas Tech are not going to ACC. Texas will got to PAC 12 or Big 10.

As for ND, they will go to Big 10 (98 percent) or ACC (2 percent). if they go to Big 10, they probably want East Coast partners which would be Rutgers and or UConn.

Bottom line, there will be a spot for UConn, but the real question is do you give up the BE Conference and BE tourney to join the ACC? That is a tough call as a BE basketball conference can still work with basketball powers Georgetown, Villanova, UConn, Louisville, St. Johns, and possibly Kansas. And don't forget WVU, Marquette, ND, and Cincinnati. This is close if not better than the new ACC. Syracuse has been a player for a long time, but the BE made Pitt, a program that has only had recent success driven by NY metro players.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, there will be a spot for UConn, but the real question is do you give up the BE Conference and BE tourney to join the ACC? That is a tough call as a BE basketball conference can still work with basketball powers Georgetown, Villanova, UConn, Louisville, St. Johns, and possibly Kansas. And don't forget WVU, Marquette, ND, and Cincinnati. This is close if not better than the new ACC. Syracuse has been a player for a long time, but the BE made Pitt, a program that has only had recent success driven by NY metro players.

You seriously think that is the big question? That is a no brainer. Furthermore, I would think that the remaining basketball schools are tired of getting stabbed in the back (not that I blame Pitt and SU for leaving) and will look to align themselves with schools that have similar interest/goals.

Reaction Score
You seriously think that is the big question? That is a no brainer. Furthermore, I would think that the remaining basketball schools are tired of getting stabbed in the back (not that I blame Pitt and SU for leaving) and will look to align themselves with schools that have similar interest/goals.

+1

Reaction Score
Interesting to note Pendergast isn't starting until Oct 1 now... is this so the new President has more say?

Herbst has all the say.

In response to the other post saying that we should think about giving up on the BET, im sorry but that isn't even a question. UConn isn't in a position of power here -- none of the schools still in the Big East are; they need to find a major, stable conference and get in if they can.

Reaction Score
Coach K and Roy are smart about this. They see the old BE reconstituting minus the Catholics, and the old ACC as well. It's as though the football conferences merged.
Miami, UConn, BC, Cuse, Pitt, Rutgers, VT and Maryland (who has always groused about Tobacco Road) in one division
Virginia, UNC, WF, Duke, NC St, Clemson, GT, FSU in the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul