UConn basketball should keep playing in Fairfield County (Brian Koonz) | The Boneyard

UConn basketball should keep playing in Fairfield County (Brian Koonz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It makes sense for the winter holiday when school is not in session. Have a game or two vs the locals in Bridgeport, if it can get some of the bigger money alumni or coporate donors attention it is a win.

Reaction Score
"Let’s be honest: It’s tough to think of UConn as New York’s college team if the Huskies can’t even be Connecticut’s team."

Brian Koonz

He simply cannot write a column or a game story without being dismissive.

I get the Syracuse sneer; you don't need to overkill. Syracuse plays regularly in Buffalo? Rochester? Albany? Why not? No ... they draw townies and assorted motley others to the ugliest CBD in upstate NY. Do I think a good Fairfield effort makes sense for OUR University? Yes. That's clear. For the obvious reasons he states. And we are doing FAR better in that County than we did 10 years ago ... and far far better than 35 years ago. We can do a mix of things. But, we do need to build back our core Hoop fanbase and keep that thriving as well. Multiple goals here.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Brian...my best advice to you...is to shut up.

(But I do agree that throwing a couple games to Fairfield County is not a bad idea.)

Reaction Score
http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Brian-Koonz-UConn-basketball-should-keep-playing-6388117.php

Interesting read. I'd personally rather see the games at Gampel where more students can attend. Pending dates of games
UCONN itself says there are only 4200 members of the UCONN CLUB. five percent from Fairfield county. Of which I am one of. Better marketing, along with a game in BPT, might result in more members. Lest we forget, folks, there is a business side to sports.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Interesting idea would be for UConn to work out an agreement with Yale to play a "home" game against the Bulldogs at the Yale Bowl. If UConn is going to play FCS opponents might as well play Yale and the stadium has a larger capacity. Just a thought.

Reaction Score
If we are talking basketball, one game a season in Bridgeport is a good idea. I'm biased living in Stratford, but I do notice groups of young kids (especially inner city) coming to the game who may not be able to make the trip to Storrs of Hartford. They appear awestruck seeing future NBAers live. Plus there is a buzz that week when the game nears, regardless of the opponent. Its easy to forget Bridgeport is CT's largest city but when nearby Bass Pro Shop is completed it may add to the attraction for the game. Bridgeport needs this more than anything, and in 5 uears, it should really become an Event.

Anyway I just hope they continue this for us 'down under'.

Reaction Score
Having multiple hockey games at Bridgeport was dumb unless they knew they could get that demand. But Brian is clearly just thinking of $$. Most of the Fairfield county doners are paying money for their kids to sneak into schools they dont deserve to get into in the first place.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
If we are talking basketball, one game a season in Bridgeport is a good idea. I'm biased living in Stratford, but I do notice groups of young kids (especially inner city) coming to the game who may not be able to make the trip to Storrs of Hartford. They appear awestruck seeing future NBAers live. Plus there is a buzz that week when the game nears, regardless of the opponent. Its easy to forget Bridgeport is CT's largest city but when nearby Bass Pro Shop is completed it may add to the attraction for the game. Bridgeport needs this more than anything, and in 5 uears, it should really become an Event.

Anyway I just hope they continue this for us 'down under'.

I agree - and I'm a bit biased living in Milford - but the BPort game last year was a great event. That stadium has a nice "pro" feel to it with the lighting and beers and it seemed like people were generally enjoying themselves. I see no harm in having a game down here during the winter session and I think Koonz actually has a good point there.

It'll be interesting to see where Steelpointe takes that city in the future ...

Reaction Score
Where does he get that UConn is on the fence about playing basketball games in Bridgeport? from the hockey experience only? He is making stuff up.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Argument: UConn should play games in an extreme corner of the state rather than on campus or in a central point equally distant from most fans and in the immediate vicinity of the largest contingency of fans.

Proposed benefit: Increasing fan base in Fairfield county

Implied argument: No fanbase in Fairfield county.

Evidence: UConn basketball gets large draws when it plays games in Fairfield county.

Conclusion: Syracuse is New York's college team.

Reaction Score
Where does he get that UConn is on the fence about playing basketball games in Bridgeport? from the hockey experience only? He is making stuff up.

Exactly. Oh boo hoo the athletic department didn't return your call about whether or not there will be a game in Bridgeport this year- let's go write an article putting UConn on blast, again.

Reaction Score

Exactly. Brian Koonz is a liar and should be in prison.

Reaction Score
I got hooked on live UConn BB when they played in New Haven
Then followed them back to Hartford
Playing in Bridgeport will create additional Hartford fans

Reaction Score
As a UConn alum who was born, raised and currently lives in Fairfield County, I hope the men and woman play at least one game/year in Webster Bank Arena when the students are off from school. This year, the game against CCSU on 12/23 would be perfect and makes a hell of a lot of sense. However, most of the stuff written in this article was a little ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom