UConn basketball fans disappointed but understanding of decision to play Gampel games without them | The Boneyard

UConn basketball fans disappointed but understanding of decision to play Gampel games without them

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By DOM AMORE and ALEXA PHILIPPOU
HARTFORD COURANT NOV 03, 2020

The decision to play UConn men’s and women’s basketball games at Gampel Pavilion without fans this season was, predictably, disappointing to those who root avidly for the Huskies. Some expressed frustration, some offered ways it might’ve been done. Others who responded to The Courant’s call for thoughts considered it the responsible thing to do.

In-person attendance limited to families of student athletes and coaches at Gampel Pavilion.

Reaction Score
What a shame, with so many new talented players added this year. Anticipation of overall depth not seen in several years. Full court pressure options, foul trouble options.
We the sixth man / woman have been removed. :eek: :(
I feel bad for the players and hope they realize we will be hollering at our televisions game in game out. ;)

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I was looking forward to attending a couple of games this season, but I understand the climate we are in. I will be watching and cheering for our Huskies via t.v. as always. I the Coaches and players stay safe, and have a successful season!!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I was looking forward to attending a couple of games this season, but I understand the climate we are in. I will be watching and cheering for our Huskies via t.v. as always. I the Coaches and players stay safe, and have a successful season!!

My emoji didn't show up. I pray the Coaches and players stay safe, and have a successful season!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What a shame, with so many new talented players added this year. Anticipation of overall depth not seen in several years. Full court pressure options, foul trouble options.
We the sixth man / woman have been removed. :eek: :(
I feel bad for the players and hope they realize we will be hollering at our televisions game in game out. ;)

Of course we all hope and pray for the health and safety of all of our players, coaches and staff. Unfortunately there is a country wide rise in positive COVID 19 virus infections and hospitalizations.

Some cities are having critical shortages of hospital beds again as well as staff fatigue/shortages. It’s being reported that refusal to wear masks and observe social distancing recommendations are directly to blame.

The COVID virus is on the rise, and has just about consumed the state of Wisconsin. By no means are we out of the woods. If the season does begin, because you also must depend on the ability of each team on your schedule to strictly adhere to CDC and conference guidelines, you can’t look beyond the next game.

Of course your team must also maintain strict protocol adherence as well. One positive test on either team can cause a game to be postponed or canceled.

It’s been proven that bubbles to work.
How feasible they would be for college basketball remains to be seen. Look at all of the college football games that have been canceled or postponed because of players testing positive.

Entire NFL facilities being shut down. Fans not being allowed to attend games in outdoor stadiums. Nothing can be taken for granted at this time. Once the season begins, the approach may be to take things one day at a time. Plan for tomorrow, but don’t take it for granted.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom