UConn Baseball Weekend Series @ Home vs. Cincy | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Weekend Series @ Home vs. Cincy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Well we're underway... Cross has given up two singles and a walk to start the game with the bases loaded and nobody out. Sac fly makes it 1-0 and 1st/3rd with 1 out.

Edit: Obviously there is precedent to expect Cross to turn this start around and dominate the rest of the way but just a general thought here... When you (as a team) drop winnable games throughout the season, a game like this becomes a must win not only for at large hopes and conference tournament seeding but all for morale. It seems every game with Cross on the mound are must win otherwise you feel like you've already lost the series.

Edit 2: Another sac fly makes it 2-0 with a runner on 2nd and 2 outs. He steals 3rd and scores on an error by McDowell (not listening but I assume he threw it into the outfield. Next guy strikes out to end the inning. 3-0 heading to the bottom of the first. Horrible start to what is basically a must sweep series.

Reaction Score
And we are off to another wonderful start. Down 3-0, throwing the ball away. Unearned run. Once again coming out not ready to play. Unbelievable when these games are must wins.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Bases full of Huskies with no outs in the bottom half on the strength of a HBP, a single, and a walk. It's almost like there's a reason Cincy has the record they do. Need to capitalize.

Davey walks to make it 3-1 and the bases remain loaded. Sac fly makes it 3-2 and 1st and 3rd. JDD strikes out (shocker). Hopefully Yahn can tie this game up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks to a wild Cincy pitcher they are able to get 2 back but leave a runner at 3rd and less than 2 outs because of 2 k's.

Reaction Score
Now they have a guy picked off and screw that up too. Wow!!

Reaction Score
McDowell with an RBI single but gets caught rounding 1st too far and gets caught for an out.

Reaction Score
Testani with a solo HR to lead of B4th. Huskies...5-4, nobody out.

Reaction Score
Double steal by Cincy, we have the guy caught and Yahn drops the ball. 2nd and 3rd, 1 out

Reaction Score
Tie game now. Should be another unearned run but won't go down as one.

Reaction Score
McDowell throws out a third base steal attempt to end the 6th for Cincinnati. In my mind stealing third is a play I really dislike as the runner is already in scoring position at second. For it to pay off, you need to make it well over 90% of the time.

Reaction Score
Two sacrifice flies and a two run homer for Davey give the Huskies a 9-5 lead in the 6th. UConn still up with Cincinnati changing pitchers.

Reaction Score
Nepiarsky comes into the game in the 8th with a six run lead. Two innings, no runs, and five strike outs later Nepiarsky seems to pass another Penders trust test. He sounded good. Let's hope Penders has enough confidence to use Nepiarsky when it counts by the time of the AAC tourney, since I really think the UConn bullpen is really going to need him.

mets1090

Reaction Score
McDowell throws out a third base steal attempt to end the 6th for Cincinnati. In my mind stealing third is a play I really dislike as the runner is already in scoring position at second. For it to pay off, you need to make it well over 90% of the time.
To be fair, in college the whole don't make the last out at 3rd cliché is not as strict as it is in the majors. With the higher rate of wild pitches, errors, and infield singles, there are a lot of ways for the stolen base to pay off (especially given it was an 0-2 count I think). Granted that may means you only need to make it like 80% of the time but it's more of a forgivable mistake in college for someone who is adept stealing.

Anyways, a great win after a horrible first few innings in the field. Take the next 2 and maybe we can get our hopes up again.

Reaction Score
And the comedy of errors continue.

I've was listening to the game driving back from Philly today and I have to be honest - In the early part of the game I actually thought of you and figured you had to be close to popping a clot.;)

All's well that ends well.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/050815aaa.html

Game Notes:
  • UConn has won at least 30 games in nine of 12 seasons under head coach Jim Penders
  • Carson Cross recorded his 10th win and is fourth in UConn history with 22 career victories
  • Vinny Siena recorded his 23rd multi-hit game and 15 multi-RBI performances
  • UConn's four home runs marked a season-high and most in a game since hitting four at Central Connecticut on April 27, 2011. UConn last went deep four times at J.O. Christian Field on May 21, 2010 against Seton Hall
  • Joe DeRoche-Duffin took over the team-lead with his eighth home run of the season
The Huskies and Bearcats continue their weekend series with a 1 p.m. start tomorrow afternoon in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Here's where things were @ start of weekend:
CEHGWI-UkAAJBZ0.jpg

Today's results: Houston 10-1 over ECU, USF 12-0 over Tulane, UConn 12-6 over Cincy and UCF 10-2 over Memphis. So, not considering tie-breakers...

UH -- 12-7
ECU -- 11-8
USF -- 11-8
Memphis -- 10-9
UConn -- 9-10
Tulane -- 9-10
UCF -- 8-11
Cincy -- 6-13

Reaction Score
I've was listening to the game driving back from Philly today and I have to be honest - In the early part of the game I actually thought of you and figured you had to be close to popping a clot.;)

All's well that ends well.
Thanks, yeah I was stressing early on. They did not come out strong.

Reaction Score
Nepiarsky comes into the game in the 8th with a six run lead. Two innings, no runs, and five strike outs later Nepiarsky seems to pass another Penders trust test. He sounded good. Let's hope Penders has enough confidence to use Nepiarsky when it counts by the time of the AAC tourney, since I really think the UConn bullpen is really going to need him.
Nepiarsky needs to see more action when it counts. The guy has come in and shown he can consistently throw strikes. Something the others struggle to do. Unfortunately with him pitching 2 innings today he probably won't be available if there is a tight game the next two.

Reaction Score
Either that or we really didn't want to give up a Friday.
Well we scored big runs in our Friday game again. Why can't this seem to carry over to Saturday and Sunday? You would think if we are doing it against the other AAC teams #1 we could certainly do just as well against their #2 & # 3. Unless do you think others don't throw their #1 against Cross knowing he is so good and we are getting the others # 1 on Saturday? Just a thought because it is so baffling the night and day difference consistently between Friday scoring and the rest of the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom