UConn Baseball v. Holy Cross | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball v. Holy Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The UConn baseball team (28-17) closes a nine-game home stretch when it hosts Holy Cross (21-24) on Wednesday afternoon at J.O. Christian Field. The Huskies and Crusaders will lock up for the 64th time in the history of the two programs, with Connecticut up 42-19-2 all-time.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/042815aaa.html

UConnBaseball 2:26pm via TweetDeck
#UConn lineup for today's contest with Holy Cross...Andrew Zapata takes a 4-0 record to the hill for the Huskies. pic.twitter.com/TjSTjGlrz8

Line-up

Last edited:

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Normal lineup today for the Huskies. Holy Cross is a couple games below .500 with no good teams to speak of on their schedule (outside of going 0-3 against ranked Texas A&M). Should win this game 9 times out of 10.

The starter for Holy Cross has a 7.61 ERA, 2.11 WHIP, and 15/15 K/BB in 23.2 innings this year.

Zapata yields an RBI double after a 9 pitch battle. Not a great start but limit the damage and the offense should take care of things.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Melley sac fly comes after Siena notches hit number 200, swipes second and advances to third on a throwing error.

After a 2 out error and hit by pitch, JDD flies out to center to end the inning.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Zapata struggling mightily so far. Just gave up a leadoff single followed by an RBI double (4 hits in 1.0+ innings). Might be time to get Montgomerie up.

Reaction Score

mets1090

Reaction Score
Yikes. Zapata gives up a leadoff homerun in the 3rd which ties the game.

With no second mid week game, Montgomerie has to get some action if Zapata can't settle down.

Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 4:16pm via Twitter Web Client
T5 | A one-out double will chase Zapata. Callahan Brown entering for #UConn in a 3-3 contest.

but Holy Cross pots a run. Leads 4-3.

Scratch that... errant throw to first by McDowell on pick off attempt after passed ball moved runner to third on previous pitch pushes another run across. 5-3

mets1090

Reaction Score
McDowell throws behind the runner at first and it sails into the outfield allowing the run to score from third and make it 5-3. Silly decision.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Ugh Brown struggles with command so Penders gives him the quick hook. Short leash is probably the right call here. Can't afford to have a pitcher out there throwing wild pitches. Game could start to get away from them if they don't right the ship.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Due to a comedy of errors this inning, Yahn has scored on a wild pitch and Hill is on 3rd with nobody out. Huskies trail by 1.

The pitcher this inning just made his debut. Surprising to burn a redshirt so late in the season. He was just pulled after walking Yahn, committing an error on a sac bunt that made it 2nd and 3rd, and then throwing a wild pitch.

Reaction Score
Tie game, 1st and 2nd no outs and no sac bunt for Siena, instead a double play. Bottom of the 6th, hmm, think I might think about sacrificing there.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Obviously the double play hurts but I wouldn't even consider sacrificing with the best hitter on the team. JMO

Reaction Score
Obviously the double play hurts but I wouldn't even consider sacrificing with the best hitter on the team. JMO
Well we will have to agree to disagree. There are certain scenarios that call for sacrificing. Tie game bottom of the 6th is one of them to me. But in fairness, this team is no guarantee to get them home from 3rd and less than 2 outs either.

Reaction Score
Now why is Over coming out for a 3rd inning? Why stretch him?

mets1090

Reaction Score
Well we will have to agree to disagree. There are certain scenarios that call for sacrificing. Tie game bottom of the 6th is one of them to me. But in fairness, this team is no guarantee to get them home from 3rd and less than 2 outs either.
To be fair I'm basing my thought process on MLB stats but sac bunting is almost never the right decision based on expected runs scored.

e.g. with a runner on 1st and 0 outs, you are expected to score 0.86 runs. When you have a runner on 2nd with 1 out as you would after a sacrifice, you are expected to score 0.65 runs.

Granted there are tons of differences between the two levels that can positively or negatively affect the expectations for both swinging and bunting. Error rates are much higher, walk rates tend to be higher, etc. I'm just generally inclined to think that when you have guys routinely hitting .300+ as you do in college, you let them swing the bat.

Edit: I don't mean to be argumentative, just trying to explain where I'm coming from. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree lol.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with Over pitching the 8th. When he is on, he is great. When he starts walking everyone, you got to get him out quick. I'm guessing Darras will pitch the 9th.

Reaction Score
To be fair I'm basing my thought process on MLB stats but sac bunting is almost never the right decision based on expected runs scored.

e.g. with a runner on 1st and 0 outs, you are expected to score 0.86 runs. When you have a runner on 2nd with 1 out as you would after a sacrifice, you are expected to score 0.65 runs.

Granted there are tons of differences between the two levels that can positively or negatively affect the expectations for both swinging and bunting. Error rates are much higher, walk rates tend to be higher, etc. I'm just generally inclined to think that when you have guys routinely hitting .300+ as you do in college, you let them swing the bat.

For the most part I hate sac bunts. On this team, I'd bunt with Testani, and that would be about it. Maybe VERY late in a game.

mets1090

Reaction Score
For the most part I hate sac bunts. On this team, I'd bunt with Testani, and that would be about it. Maybe VERY late in a game.
I'm also on board with Testani bunting. He is a great bunter by most accounts and strikes out at a high rate. Good candidate.

Reaction Score
I just got home, but I want to give a Callahan Brown comment. I was surprised when he came in the game when he did in the situation he did. Still, Penders gave him a chance, an audition if you will, and Brown did not take advantage at all. It might be a while before Brown gets another chance like that from Penders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom