UConn athletic director David Benedict searching for next football coach: "We need some charisma" | The Boneyard

UConn athletic director David Benedict searching for next football coach: "We need some charisma"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There’s quite a bit of info in this Mike Anthony article to unpack..

->The next UConn football coach could fit any number of profiles.

An offensive mind or a defensive mind. Someone with NFL experience or college experience. An established head coach or an intriguing assistant. Ties to the program and the Northeast, both or neither.

Regardless of style, experience or philosophy, the person who emerges in the coming months must recognize and embrace that turning around the program is about more than Saturdays and X’s and O’s.

“We’re at a point in time where we need some energy, we need some enthusiasm, we need some charisma as it relates to being able to connect with recruits as well as fans,” athletic director David Benedict said Tuesday.

“Ultimately, you’re trying to hire someone who is going to have the ability, knowledge and know-how to build a successful program. Where does that piece fall? I think it’s pretty high.” <-

->“We’re going to need someone who doesn’t look at [engagement] as being a burden or something they don’t want to do,” Benedict said. “We’re going to need someone who has the want-to, to get out in the state and this community and really sell our program and get people engaged. That’s a big part of what we need right now. It’s a critical component.” <-

Reaction Score
If he botches this it will effectively kill the UConn football program. Even if he doesn't, I'd be shocked if DB even sniffs a P5 job or even a top-tier G5 job, EVER. He needs to knock this hire out of the park. Pressure is on, reviving UConn football* is, in effect, reviving DB's own career.

(*the bar is low at least to start)

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
If he botches this it will effectively kill the UConn football program. Even if he doesn't, I'd be shocked if DB even sniffs a P5 job or even a top-tier G5 job, EVER. He needs to knock this hire out of the park. Pressure is on, reviving UConn football* is, in effect, reviving DB's own career.

(*the bar is low at least to start)
Huh? He could leave tomorrow and get a P5 job…

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

That is the point! IF he botches this hire, his stock will go down and he will be less appealing to a P5 school. IF he hits this hire out of the park, he will add another great coach to his hiring legacy to go with Hurley.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
There’s quite a bit of info in this Mike Anthony article to unpack..

->The next UConn football coach could fit any number of profiles.

An offensive mind or a defensive mind. Someone with NFL experience or college experience. An established head coach or an intriguing assistant. Ties to the program and the Northeast, both or neither.

Regardless of style, experience or philosophy, the person who emerges in the coming months must recognize and embrace that turning around the program is about more than Saturdays and X’s and O’s.

“We’re at a point in time where we need some energy, we need some enthusiasm, we need some charisma as it relates to being able to connect with recruits as well as fans,” athletic director David Benedict said Tuesday.

“Ultimately, you’re trying to hire someone who is going to have the ability, knowledge and know-how to build a successful program. Where does that piece fall? I think it’s pretty high.” <-

->“We’re going to need someone who doesn’t look at [engagement] as being a burden or something they don’t want to do,” Benedict said. “We’re going to need someone who has the want-to, to get out in the state and this community and really sell our program and get people engaged. That’s a big part of what we need right now. It’s a critical component.” <-

I am very glad to read this. For those who respond... "I just want wins... everything else takes care of itself".... yes... that's assumed. This is an extra element that is needed right now.

We all knew that the media and fans were a nuisance to Edsall. That's cute at Alabama...but a disaster at UConn. And really not cute when the team sucks. Maybe giving more media access or having a spring game is actually a good thing.

This puts Benedict on the spot...now he needs to deliver on this. Hard to hire a cranky old retread after making these statements.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
That is the point! IF he botches this hire, his stock will go down and he will be less appealing to a P5 school. IF he hits this hire out of the park, he will add another great coach to his hiring legacy to go with Hurley.

Regardless of what happens he can get a p5 job. You do realize our previous AD, who has been much worse than BD is the AD at Michigan?

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Regardless of what happens he can get a p5 job. You do realize our previous AD, who has been much worse than BD is the AD at Michigan?
Yes, I am aware of Warde's successful transition to Michigan. However, I still maintain that it is in AD Dave's professional interest to hire a successful football coach.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
For those of you who are doubting AD David Benedict, this one is his call and his call only. He is a sharp guy and he is a former football player. He knows exactly what he is looking for. He has always talked in generalities to the public, but behind the scenes he knows exactly what the criteria are and in what order.

Reaction Score
"sell our program and get people engaged."

And how do you do that Dave?

Winning games. That's how you do that. You cant sell or get people engaged if the game is over at halftime.

The article is behind a pay wall so I don't know if it was talked about...but did he actually talk about trying to win games? Did he mention if the athletic dept. and University were committed to funding a staff of assistants that are top notch and can help the head coach turn this around? You know the only important qualities to actually turning this around?

Because if he talked only about the superficial of charisma and engagement and energy than this is going to be another lost cause of a hire. Bob Diaco had charisma.

Reaction Score

This is a massive subtweet of Edsall, right?

He was clearly looking to coast.

Reaction Score
Charisma is nice but getting a coach that understands offense is critical. Edsall DC, Pasquoloni DC, Diaco DC, Spanos DC, the only OC we promoted was Weist. That's, what?, six games in the last 21 years.

The parade of "defense and running the ball" head coaches has to end.

Reaction Score
I am very glad to read this. For those who respond... "I just want wins... everything else takes care of itself".... yes... that's assumed. This is an extra element that is needed right now.

We all knew that the media and fans were a nuisance to Edsall. That's cute at Alabama...but a disaster at UConn. And really not cute when the team sucks. Maybe giving more media access or having a spring game is actually a good thing.

This puts Benedict on the spot...now he needs to deliver on this. Hard to hire a cranky old retread after making these statements.

This is the problem right here. This post. This is why everyone is shocked when things don't work out. Shocked when we lose to Holy Cross or can't win games. When the play is unwatchable. This is how you make 3 bad coaching hires and torpedo the program.

Coach engagement with the fans and ESPECIALLY the Horde should not even be on Benedict's mind or ANYONE's mind for this search. It means nothing. Absolutely nothing. No one is gonna be engaged with this program unless there is MASSIVE improvements. Improvements in the team, the play, the results, and the staff of coaches. That will take money. That will take a plan. By the school. That will create the fan engagement. Not "charisma". Or letting Dom Amore into a practice.

No coach will engage this fan base unless he puts a product on the field that will demand engagement. It should not even remotely be an important trait in this job search. If it is, we are in trouble.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I don't know if that was meant to be serious but
If Benedict could seriously leave tomorrow and get a P5 job, he would have left yesterday (and tried to reset hic clock and buy a longer career).
However, he's still in Storrs and trying to navigate the same budget that Pat Forde wrote about.
Benedict wishes he had the resources and schedules a P5 gets.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This is the problem right here. This post. This is why everyone is shocked when things don't work out. Shocked when we lose to Holy Cross or can't win games. When the play is unwatchable. This is how you make 3 bad coaching hires and torpedo the program.

Coach engagement with the fans and ESPECIALLY the Horde should not even be on Benedict's mind or ANYONE's mind for this search. It means nothing. Absolutely nothing. No one is gonna be engaged with this program unless there is MASSIVE improvements. Improvements in the team, the play, the results, and the staff of coaches. That will take money. That will take a plan. By the school. That will create the fan engagement. Not "charisma". Or letting Dom Amore into a practice.

No coach will engage this fan base unless he puts a product on the field that will demand engagement. It should not even remotely be an important trait in this job search. If it is, we are in trouble.
You are assuming it's one or the other. As I said in my post, fielding a good team is obviously the core requirement. If Benedict came out and said "I want to hire a coach who will win games"....the response is "duh". You are stating the obvious.

I like that he doesn't stop there...he wants a coach to build a winning program AND he wants a coach that will bring energy and inspire the fans.

Seems like a good objective to me.

Reaction Score
Not sure I would call what Diaco had charisma. He had something... But that ain't it.

Oh the revisionist history....

From the Register when Diaco was hired:

Charismatic 40-year-old Bob Diaco was a walking bundle of pomp and circumstance.

Footballscoop.com:

Diaco brings an engaging and charismatic personality at a program - following the dismissal of Paul Pasqualoni

From the private plane UConn super-donor on twitter:

Mike Melio on Twitter: "Incredible evening with @UConnFootball ...

https://twitter.com › enzosdad › status
A Man's TALENT and CHARISMA can get him to a place that ONLY his CHARACTER can ... Incredible evening with @UConnFootball Coach Bob Diaco @UConnAlumniGHC !

The New London Day:

UConn's new football coach, Bob Diaco, is on a mission

https://www.theday.com › article › SPORT07

Dec 13, 2013 — Storrs - Bob Diaco didn't exactly play hard to get when meeting with UConn ... conference with his passion, energy, enthusiasm and charisma.

Warde Manuel:

"Is it a show? The first time you see him, listen to Diaco, that's the question. The second time, it's still the question. He's so charismatic, so full of energy and ideas and specific structures, you wonder how can he keep it up? And is it genuine?"

ADimeBack:

Bob Diaco, photogenic human/football coach. ... with the impossibly handsome and charismatic coach leading the program back on a positive ..

I could go into The-Boneyard thread on his hire but it would be too embarrassing to share the responses when he was hired (for me included).

One of the chief reasons Bob Diaco become our football coach was....his charisma. No need to rewrite history and say he had none. If you fail to learn from history...

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel:

"Is it a show? The first time you see him, listen to Diaco, that's the question. The second time, it's still the question. He's so charismatic, so full of energy and ideas and specific structures, you wonder how can he keep it up? And is it genuine?"

Welp Warde was asking the right questions... just came up with the wrong answers. Yes it was a show... and unfortunately the style and show is all he had under the hood.

Reaction Score
And a stadium. Here's a nice spot on Discovery Drive. 195 is on the other side of the field towards the left.

discovery dr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger