UConn at WNBA Crunch Time: Seattle - Phoenix | The Boneyard

UConn at WNBA Crunch Time: Seattle - Phoenix

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The single-elimination playoff game between Seattle and Phoenix just ended, with Phoenix getting a narrow victory. It may have been Sue Bird's last pro game.

But for those of us on this forum, the greater interest may be in the key roles played by Husky alumni for both teams:
  • For Phoenix, Diana had 14 points, 5 assists, and 4 rebounds in 33 minutes, even though this is the first game she has played in a while because of her injury. She didn't shoot very efficiently, but hit some big 3's late in the game.
  • Kia Nurse played 28 minutes, had 12 points and 4 rebounds. Both DT and Kia were on the floor during the overtime period and late in regulation.
  • For Seattle, Sue played 37 minutes, scored 16 points including 4 of 8 from 3-point range, and had 5 assists and just 2 turnovers.
  • Katie Lou played an amazing 35 minutes (she usually plays about 15 minutes even though she starts), and scored 18 points including 4-for-6 from 3-point range. Two of those were clutch shots late in the game. She also had 5 rebounds. She defended Diana for most of the game. Both Sue and KLS were in the game during crunch time (OT and final minutes of regulation time).
We won't dwell on the fact that neither Bria Hartley nor Megan Walker got on the floor for Phoenix. Bria was mentioned -- they said that because of her injury, she needs about 3 minutes of playing time to warm up, and there was no opportunity to do that in this game.

I am now watching the other single-elimination game between Minnesota and Chicago. Napheesa got into early foul trouble, but Crystal is contributing good minutes for Minnesota. Stef and Azura have both had significant playing time for Chicago. It is now halftime, and the Sky have a slight lead.

On Tuesday night, the Sun will play Phoenix if Minnesota wins, or Chicago if they win the current game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lou and Kia have made very good contributions to their teams and I am particularly proud how Lou really hit multiple pressure shots in the game but in the other game, Pheesa really had a very inefficient shooting game which is really the story for much of the season season and I am not sure why.

The Lynx almost seem to be 2 types of teams forced together. More free wheeling players like Powers and McBride trying to fit in with more "system" players like Pheesa , Fowles and I am not sure what Reeve wants from Crystal. She never challenges the defense off the dribble anymore just getting the first pass to start the offense.

On the Sky, I do like how Azure is getting her teeth into the league, She has some major talent. A nice target to set for Liv when she enters the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Obviously had Stewie not been injured, the Storm would have won but Lou did her best to fill her shoes. Lloyd just had an awful night shooting—when she’s hot, she’s sizzling, when she’s cold...well, she could end global warming. Everyone kept waiting for her to get hot but she kept not only missing but missing badly. And taking too many shots. Lou, who led Storm in scoring with 18, her WNBA high, I believe—and Sue—were hot. They needed to be taking most of the shots Lloyd took. But Jewell was doing her Arike imitation and the Storm lost a game they shouldn’t. And, yes, Lou played a lot of minutes and possibly showed her coach why this might be good for the team going forward. The Lou-Talbot combo sharing minutes has worked but Lou has more upsides, given her improved defense and rebounding, and her attacking the basket. Having the two of them on the court at the same time is worth consideration. Wait til next year.

Reaction Score
Obviously had Stewie not been injured, the Storm would have won but Lou did her best to fill her shoes. Lloyd just had an awful night shooting—when she’s hot, she’s sizzling, when she’s cold...well, she could end global warming. Everyone kept waiting for her to get hot but she kept not only missing but missing badly. And taking too many shots. Lou, who led Storm in scoring with 18, her WNBA high, I believe—and Sue—were hot. They needed to be taking most of the shots Lloyd took. But Jewell was doing her Arike imitation and the Storm lost a game they shouldn’t. And, yes, Lou played a lot of minutes and possibly showed her coach why this might be good for the team going forward. The Lou-Talbot combo sharing minutes has worked but Lou has more upsides, given her improved defense and rebounding, and her attacking the basket. Having the two of them on the court at the same time is worth consideration. Wait til next year.
Stewie needs to find a way to take some time off.She has been non-stop since coming back from injury. Next year is like this with the World Cup.

Reaction Score
Lou and Kia have made very good contributions to their teams and I am particularly proud how Lou really hit multiple pressure shots in the game but in the other game, Pheesa really had a very inefficient shooting game which is really the story for much of the season season and I am not sure why.

The Lynx almost seem to be 2 types of teams forced together. More free wheeling players like Powers and McBride trying to fit in with more "system" players like Pheesa , Fowles and I am not sure what Reeve wants from Crystal. She never challenges the defense off the dribble anymore just getting the first pass to start the offense.

On the Sky, I do like how Azure is getting her teeth into the league, She has some major talent. A nice target to set for Liv when she enters the WNBA.

Pheesa is battling with plantar fasciitis

Reaction Score
Stewie needs to find a way to take some time off.She has been non-stop since coming back from injury. Next year is like this with the World Cup.
Yup

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Bye the way, this was Lou's(and Karlie's) schedule on Saturday, the day before yesterdays game. Practice with the Storm late Saturday morning, shower, fly from Seattle to OC for her sister Bonnies wedding. Arrived about 1 hour before the wedding. Stayed for a bit over 2 hours at the wedding, catch a flight back to Seattle that landed late Saturday night. Play Sundays game and score 18 pts and 5 rebounds in 35 minutes. The most minutes KLS has played in a previous WNBA game has been 31 minutes in games vs NYL and LVA. The most points were 15 earlier this year.
If you watched the game and listened to the Storm huddles, you heard Sue talking as a coach does. She is the best coach the Storm currently have. I do hope Sue plays one more year, back in the remodeled Key Arena.

Reaction Score
My favorite exchange in the game yesterday Mercury versus Storm with Lou banging and fronting BG She drew a foul the foul. Who would have thought as a freshman at Uconn that Lou would develop defensively to the point where she could at least momentarily get the best of Brittany.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
My favorite exchange in the game yesterday Mercury versus Storm with Lou banging and fronting BG She drew a foul the foul. Who would have thought as a freshman at Uconn that Lou would develop defensively to the point where she could at least momentarily get the best of Brittany.
DT shoving Lou away, several times, was also enjoyable.

JoePgh

Reaction Score
Bye the way, this was Lou's(and Karlie's) schedule on Saturday, the day before yesterdays game. Practice with the Storm late Saturday morning, shower, fly from Seattle to OC for her sister Bonnies wedding. Arrived about 1 hour before the wedding. Stayed for a bit over 2 hours at the wedding, catch a flight back to Seattle that landed late Saturday night. Play Sundays game and score 18 pts and 5 rebounds in 35 minutes. The most minutes KLS has played in a previous WNBA game has been 31 minutes in games vs NYL and LVA. The most points were 15 earlier this year.
If you watched the game and listened to the Storm huddles, you heard Sue talking as a coach does. She is the best coach the Storm currently have. I do hope Sue plays one more year, back in the remodeled Key Arena.
Well, that's the answer! Make Lou fly a 3,000 mile round trip before every game, just as a warmup. Then maybe she will play like she did yesterday in every game.

Congratulations to Bonnie, by the way.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Guess Bonnie thought Seattle was going to get the double bye. :oops:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Great game for Lou, despite the loss.

Maybe Bonnie should get married more often. :cool:

I`m assuming the Samuelson sisters will now head off to Spain. Perfumerias Avenida is already 1-0! Talk about seasons running together.

Avenida will also add Kaleah Copper when the Sky finish up. They lost a few players from last season`s Spain league championship team, especially Tiffany Hayes, but they added Copper and Maria Fasoula, among others. Those rosters appear to turn over quite a bit from season to season. Same coach though, and he seems really good.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Guess Bonnie thought Seattle was going to get the double bye. :oops:
Pretty sure that was part of when to schedule it. Had they switched places with Phx, the flight to Phx would have been a bit easier.

Not sure when they leave for Spain. I would guess Lou might arrive after Karlie. So Avenida should add Karlie and Bella Alarie, then Lou and Kaleah Copper. Euroleague starts next week, on October 6th(on you tube)

The Spanish league moved the game of Avenida vs Valencia, on October 2nd to the first week in November, so neither team would be short handed.

JoePgh

Reaction Score
Lou recap

Her comment about, "I'm not the kind of player who's going to break somebody down 1-on-1, so it's better if I play in a system" is telling, not only about her but about her two prior teams, Chicago and Dallas. She appears to be implying that their offenses were basically, "Beat your defender and shoot or drive to the basket, and only pass if they stop you."

That certainly fits a player like Arike or Diamond Deshields, who can be successful in that "system", and even make their teams successful (up to a point). And I would think that Chicago, with a PG like Courtney Vandersloot, probably has more subtlety to their offense than that. But I can certainly see why Lou has found a home in Seattle.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And yet Loyd and Stewie both are sometimes very much in the "beat your defender and shoot or drive to the basket" mode for Seattle.

Also, Quigley has thrived in Chicago w/out being a drive to the bucket kind of player.

Overall that doesn't really hold water for me.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Good for Lou. She's smart. She understands how offenses work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom