UConn at Ohio State 2025 | The Boneyard

UConn at Ohio State 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone who argued stridently for the status quo that independent football was worse than staying in the AAC should be publicly flogged in this forum and it should be a badge next to their user name so we all remember how wrong they were.

That is my opinion of this news.

Reaction Score
Everyone who argued stridently for the status quo that independent football was worse than staying in the AAC should be publicly flogged in this forum and it should be a badge next to their user name so we all remember how wrong they were.

Why? This kind of buy out game has always been available to us (at least since no one had to fear us winning it). We didn't do this often before because we didn't need to.

Look, I'm fine playing a game like this every so often, but it will only be important when and if we've rebounded to the point where we actually have a chance to win the game, as we did when we went to South Bend in '09 or Michigan in '10.

So good news? Sure. But actually change the equation as to whether we can survive and thrive as an Indy? Not even close.

Reaction Score
Why? This kind of buy out game has always been available to us (at least since no one had to fear us winning it). We didn't do this often before because we didn't need to.

Look, I'm fine playing a game like this every so often, but it will only be important when and if we've rebounded to the point where we actually have a chance to win the game, as we did when we went to South Bend in '09 or Michigan in '10.

So good news? Sure. But actually change the equation as to whether we can survive and thrive as an Indy? Not even close.

Tactically
1. Playing these types of games will put us on equal or better financial footing than our awful AAC contract.
2. Playing these types of games will allow us to recruit better than garbage AAC conference affiliation
3. We will have an equivalent ACC/Big10 schedule for the near term future. That is better for fan experience and butts in seats.

Strategically
1. We were on a slow glide path to death in the AAC, at least throwing the dice opens up a chance that we dont' die. Scheduling games like this verifies that we won't die, and gives us a window of opportunity to thrive that DID NOT EXIST in the AAC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yeah this thread is about Ohio State, but whenever these announcements come out I am compelled to dump in my latest machination to fill that four game hole we have in 2021.

So my new idea (and I acknowledge there are hundreds of possibilities) to fill those four missing games for 2021. Lets break up the 9/18 Coastal Carolina at Buffalo game. Coastal can come here 10/16 and we can go to Buffalo on 10/2. Add the Wyoming home game as 11/7 and push Holy Cross to 11/1. This would leave us with just one more game to pencil with open dates of 9/27, 10/30 and 11/27 to choose from....and hopefully you can get it with a new H&H - although I can't find any FBS programs with open dates for 2021.

The longer we wait on fixing the 2021 hole the more I think it might be tied to a November game at Yankee with a marquee opponent (how about BYU?).

Our renewed four game series with Buffalo doesn't start until 2024. I can't imagine Coastal Carolina views a visit to Buffalo to be any different than a visit to UConn. Buffalo gets us for a replacement which is a decent swap.

Last edited:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I'm honestly more excited that we've been successful in getting some home and homes with lower level p5's and upper level g5's (Purdue, Fresno State, etc) than I am with these buy games. Toledo, Buffalo, etc can get these games just as easily as we can.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Yeah this thread is about Ohio State, but whenever these announcements come out I am compelled to dump in my latest machination to fill that four game hole we have in 2021.

So my new idea (and I acknowledge there are hundreds of possibilities) to fill those four missing games for 2021. Lets break up the 9/18 Coastal Carolina at Buffalo game. Coastal can come here 10/16 and we can go to Buffalo on 10/2. Add the Wyoming home game as 11/7 and push Holy Cross to 11/1. This would leave us with just one more game to pencil with open dates of 9/27, 10/30 and 11/27 to choose from....and hopefully you can get it with a new H&H - although I can't find any FBS programs with open dates for 2021.

The longer we wait on fixing the 2021 hole the more I think it might be tied to a November game at Yankee with a marquee opponent (how about BYU?).

Our renewed four game series with Buffalo doesn't start until 2024. I can't imagine Coastal Carolina views a visit to Buffalo to be any different than a visit to UConn. Buffalo gets us for a replacement which is a decent swap.

Haven’t looked in a while but I think NMSU can play a 13th game as a result of being @ Hawaii if we need another game

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Haven’t looked in a while but I think NMSU can play a 13th game as a result of being @ Hawaii if we need another game
Correct - NMSU has two games vs Hawaii in 2021. The problem I see here is that there is no way to head to Hawaii for a game (already open the season at Fresno) and I don't see NMSU giving up a home game. Would we dare visit NMSU leaving Hawaii to find their own rematch? Maybe, but seems unlikely...

Reaction Score
This is another good get no doubt but keep in mind our home schedule can’t be Central Connecticut, Northern South Dakota, Middle Tennessee and Whatsamatter U with only road games against teams people care about. Somewhere along the line we need to get one or 2 name teams to play us at the Rent or it is going to get old fast. We seem to be able to get home/homes with mid level P5 teams and that’s good. Now we need somebody with a name to come here too.

Reaction Score

I will wear the badge proudly. Going independent will prove to be a death sentence for this program. Signing a deal to get destroyed by Ohio State doesn’t change my opinion.

Reaction Score
I will wear the badge proudly. Going independent will prove to be a death sentence for this program. Signing a deal to get destroyed by Ohio State doesn’t change my opinion.
I don’t agree that it’s the end of UConn football. Not at all. However these type of games don’t indicate anything on success of independence other than it can be a moneymaker. But that, for a school like UConn, May involve a lot of losing. That 2025 away schedule has Purdue Syracuse and Ohio State on it. Which is fine, if you’re BYU. But idk about us. That’s 3 Ls as of right now.

Reaction Score
I don’t agree that it’s the end of UConn football. Not at all. However these type of games don’t indicate anything on success of independence other than it can be a moneymaker. But that, for a school like UConn, May involve a lot of losing. That 2025 away schedule has Purdue Syracuse and Ohio State on it. Which is fine, if you’re BYU. But idk about us. That’s 3 Ls as of right now.
5 years is a long way down the road. A lot can happen in 5 years. Look at how far down we went in 5 years. If you like to travel to away games like I do, these games are games I look forward to and plan for for years ahead. I drive my wife crazy talking about going to the away games, but I look forward to them so much, she puts up with me.

Reaction Score
This is another good get no doubt but keep in mind our home schedule can’t be Central Connecticut, Northern South Dakota, Middle Tennessee and Whatsamatter U with only road games against teams people care about. Somewhere along the line we need to get one or 2 name teams to play us at the Rent or it is going to get old fast. We seem to be able to get home/homes with mid level P5 teams and that’s good. Now we need somebody with a name to come here too.
The next four seasons have 6 P5 home games with open dates left to fill.

Reaction Score
5 years is a long way down the road. A lot can happen in 5 years. Look at how far down we went in 5 years. If you like to travel to away games like I do, these games are games I look forward to and plan for for years ahead. I drive my wife crazy talking about going to the away games, but I look forward to them so much, she puts up with me.
Absolutely. I just hope this team gets competitive.

Reaction Score
I don't get all the excitement. It's not that hard to get a buy game at a big program. If this was a home and home or even a 2 for 1... that's one thing.

Our football program needs some life around it and our UConn athletic:
1583259936547.gif

Reaction Score
So if you are not excited about playing at Ohio State, when do you get excited about a game?
It's not that exciting to get plastered by Ohio State. The money is nice, but other than that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom