Uconn at a higher level | The Boneyard

Uconn at a higher level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
After watching UConns past three games it is very apparent that this years NC is theres to lose. They are the team to beat. The Stanford loss was a fluke because imo UConn wasn't ready. UConn is ready now. The Stanford game was 3 games to early on the schedule jmo. That wont happen again this season and most likely not next season either. UConns loss gave false hope to those teams and fans waiting for UConn to stumble. UConn did stumble and now theyre back. Perhaps some coaches and teams think because UConn lost to Stanford they have a chance. They Don't, not now. Yes UConn could lose because that's just the way it is but looking up and down the weekly polls its gonna take a miracle to beat this team, because they are an unselfish team.

What is also apparent to me is that you must have a big. There are some very good teams out there that need a big such as LVille and DePaul. Both solid teams, well coached but lacking a big which makes it easy for opponents to get inside on them and tuff for them to get inside on opponents. In todays game you need a big or two. You also need solid defense. The womens game is reaching another level. It more just having talent, its about having players who are coachable. Its about having players who are willing to play as team and unselfish. Any dumb dumb can take a group of talented players and give them a basketball and say go ahead do as you want and score a lot of points. That's called out talenting a team. When your a top program and you play a cupcake team that's what you do. That gives your team false hope that they are good. Then they play a team like UConn and get blown out. This is why so many teams that we haven't heard much about, some considered second tier teams are beating up on teams considered better then them this season. We call those games upsets but in reality theyre just some unknowns who have better coaching who have talent that is developed and discipline and very hungry to show they belong playing against a well known team that hasn't made the necessary changes to keep up in the new world of WCBB.

UCLA lacked experience but did not lack desire and fight. UConn was solid confident and poised. UCLA will be a very good team in a year or two as they gain experience. Their coach has the want to. Listening to the game and the announcers talking about how she made one trip to UConn to learn from Geno and another trip with her coaches to learn from Geno speaks tons to me that she is very serious about becoming a big time program in WCBB. UCLA will be a top team in a year or two.

With UConn rolling over ND DePaul and now UCLA all very good teams and with their defense reeking havoc on opponents UConn is back. When you watch UConn play and the intensity from the starting 5 all the way down the bench from the first second of the game to the last second of the game no body lets up. Everybody wants to prove themselves and there is no let up. Its not about getting in the last minute or two and thinking about scoring its about getting in the last minute or two and making something happen, showing pride, playing team ball and when the opportunity presents itself scoring or making a great play.

When I watched some other games and see top teams beating up on each other and hear announcers say gee that's a good team I think to myself can they stop UConn. No No No. Why is that. Well for one their opponent doesn't play team ball or lacks defense or both. I listen to announcers say this team is a FF contender and I think but theyre lacking in so many areas.

When you listen to Geno speak and where he is mentally you can see he is at a different level them other coaches. His winning attitude and his idea of how a team needs to play and the attitude the kids need to have is far more important then winning. He knows that a bad attitude will ruin a team. You look at UConn and you can see the kids buy into his system, his beliefs and that's why they are at UConn and that's why UConn is where they are and unfortunately that's why other teams are where they are. There are teams like DePaul LVille and UCLA and others that are on their way up. They are going through the growing pains to reach the success that Geno and UConn have reached. This will make WCBB even better. There are others who wont change, who are content at where they are and they will fall further down in the polls as the up and coming teams continue to grow.

All I know is this. The FF is UConn and 3 other teams. Who do I think they are? With all the parity in WCBB except for UConn it could be a number of teams. Those teams who make it to the FF will have to have a big in the middle, a go to player, great defense, consistency game after game and not be in UConns bracket.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Here you go Tony...the Final Four:

1. UConn
2. South Carolina
3. Notre Dame
4. Duke

5. Texas
6. Tennessee
7. Louisville
8. Maryland

The more things change the more they stay the same

Reaction Score
Agree with one change. In a surprise, Tenn makes the final 4.

ND won't make it since the refs are now onto the Flopping Irish.

Reaction Score
An interesting phenomenon is occurring this year. Opponents are thinking they can beat UConn. This thought is fueled by what happened at Stanford, coupled with Stanford's continuing failure to perform at a high level. Thus, opponents enter their games with UConn fueled by hope, resolve, and scads of adrenaline. And, for perhaps the first 10 minutes, it works, the score may be close.

From that point on, some doubt begins to creep in as UConn goes into one of their patented runs and begins to pull away despite the opponent's good play. Adrenaline is only a short term aid. It doesn't last 40 minutes. The fight turns into fright as opponents realize UConn is much better than the Stanford game would have predicted. They have been duped by an erroneous assumption about UConn's ability to continually build skills, teamwork, and momentum as the season progresses.

The year is turning into a great one. The players are enthused, and the Wizzard of Storrs is working his usual magic. Fear the Huskies!

Reaction Score

1. UConn
2. South Carolina
3. Notre Dame
4. Duke

5. Texas
6. Tennessee
7. Louisville
8. Maryland

1.Uconn
2.Oregon State (jumping on the bandwagon, I like what I see)
3. South Carolina
4. Texas

I also like Louisville a lot and they could slide in

Reaction Score

1. UConn
2. South Carolina
3. Notre Dame
4. Duke

5. Texas
6. Tennessee
7. Louisville
8. Maryland

Scratch Duke, toss in a Texas team.

Reaction Score

1. UConn
2. South Carolina
3. Notre Dame
4. Duke

5. Texas
6. Tennessee
7. Louisville
8. Maryland

can't say I would put Duke there... even after they beat Kentucky... Texas would be my choice.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
For Tennessee I think it depends on how healthy everyone is. If Harrison stays healthy and no other big injuries. Then I like the chances of FF. The 40 points Stanford scored was the lowest points ever by a top ten team vs Tennessee. So the defense is improving every week.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
An interesting phenomenon is occurring this year. Opponents are thinking they can beat UConn. This thought is fueled by what happened at Stanford, coupled with Stanford's continuing failure to perform at a high level. Thus, opponents enter their games with UConn fueled by hope, resolve, and scads of adrenaline. And, for perhaps the first 10 minutes, it works, the score may be close.

From that point on, some doubt begins to creep in as UConn goes into one of their patented runs and begins to pull away despite the opponent's good play. Adrenaline is only a short term aid. It doesn't last 40 minutes. The fight turns into fright as opponents realize UConn is much better than the Stanford game would have predicted. They have been duped by an erroneous assumption about UConn's ability to continually build skills, teamwork, and momentum as the season progresses.

The year is turning into a great one. The players are enthused, and the Wizzard of Storrs is working his usual magic. Fear the Huskies!

I think by now that optimism is drooping.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I would never discount Louisville.Excellent coach and coaching,talent,and another team buying into the system.It would surprise me if they do not make the final four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom