UConn Assistant Director of Ticket Operations | The Boneyard

UConn Assistant Director of Ticket Operations

Reaction Score
FYI for those that can:

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

Bachelor’s degree; three years of ticket operations experience in a Division I athletics ticket office; demonstrated experience with Paciolan’s products and services to include tRes, eVenue and PAC 7 or other contemporary ticketing software.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Demonstrated and/or related ticket operations experience with men’s ice hockey, m/w basketball, m/w soccer, and/or FBS football; demonstrated experience with data base reporting, event and manifest creation, online sales setup and management of an e-commerce site; demonstrated experience with Jump Forward’s player-guest ticketing platform; demonstrated experience with Ballena Technologies Seats 3D Venue Visualization and Seat Relocation Management System; demonstrated experience scheduling and processing payroll for part-time and game-day personnel; experience with reviewing deposits and ticket office transactions to ensure fiscal accuracy.

SALARY
Commensurate with experience

TO APPLY
Candidates must submit letter of application, resume, and the names of three references to: UConn Jobs, UConn Jobs | Department of Human Resources, Staff Positions. Screening of applicants will begin immediately. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2018707)

This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 PM eastern on July 20, 2018.

All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found athttp://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.

Reaction Score
FYI for those that can:

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

Bachelor’s degree; three years of ticket operations experience in a Division I athletics ticket office; demonstrated experience with Paciolan’s products and services to include tRes, eVenue and PAC 7 or other contemporary ticketing software.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Demonstrated and/or related ticket operations experience with men’s ice hockey, m/w basketball, m/w soccer, and/or FBS football; demonstrated experience with data base reporting, event and manifest creation, online sales setup and management of an e-commerce site; demonstrated experience with Jump Forward’s player-guest ticketing platform; demonstrated experience with Ballena Technologies Seats 3D Venue Visualization and Seat Relocation Management System; demonstrated experience scheduling and processing payroll for part-time and game-day personnel; experience with reviewing deposits and ticket office transactions to ensure fiscal accuracy.

SALARY
Commensurate with experience

TO APPLY
Candidates must submit letter of application, resume, and the names of three references to: UConn Jobs, UConn Jobs | Department of Human Resources, Staff Positions. Screening of applicants will begin immediately. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2018707)

This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 PM eastern on July 20, 2018.

All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found athttp://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.

I nominate Whaler. With his understated ability I am quite sure he could get the job done in a matter of minutes per day. I can see full athletic venues in our near future.

Reaction Score
I nominate HCRE2.0. The quickest way to increase sales is simply to win. Win 5 this year and sales will skyrocket.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I nominate Whaler. With his understated ability I am quite sure he could get the job done in a matter of minutes per day. I can see full athletic venues in our near future.

I think what they should keep doing is chasing away the people that pay full freight for season tickets by selling tickets at a fraction of a price later! That can't possibly be one of the reasons they don't have season ticket bases anymore!

Maybe they should tell us they are lowering ticket prices and then not actually lower them (again)!

Perhaps they can leak money to a third party that sells tickets to people that were already going to buy them! Bringing in those guys to leave a message on people's cellphones every couple of months is some cutting edge 21st Century stuff. Telemarketers! Brilliant.

Hate on Whaler if you like but if you don't get what a joke this school is at selling tickets..... that's a you problem not a Whaler problem.

Reaction Score
I think what they should keep doing is chasing away the people that pay full freight for season tickets by selling tickets at a fraction of a price later! That can't possibly be one of the reasons they don't have season ticket bases anymore!

Maybe they should tell us they are lowering ticket prices and then not actually lower them (again)!

Perhaps they can leak money to a third party that sells tickets to people that were already going to buy them! Bringing in those guys to leave a message on people's cellphones every couple of months is some cutting edge 21st Century stuff. Telemarketers! Brilliant.

Hate on Whaler if you like but if you don't get what a joke this school is at selling tickets..... that's a you problem not a Whaler problem.

I generally disagree with you but with this I agree. The school is hosing the season ticket holders every year by giving those ridiculous game packages and lower single game packages. It's cheaper to just wait until the tickets go "on sale".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Looks like I'll need another ticket liaison soon.

Reaction Score
I tried to buy extra season tickets for football. My ticket rep started giving my attitude when I questioned the extra fees for other facilities. She said, “don’t you support the program?” Um, screw you. I’ve had seasons for football and basketball for 20 plus years and have sophomores in the UCMB. Not to mention I paid these fees on my regular tickets

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I tried to buy extra season tickets for football. My ticket rep started giving my attitude when I questioned the extra fees for other facilities. She said, “don’t you support the program?” Um, screw you. I’ve had seasons for football and basketball for 20 plus years and have sophomores in the UCMB. Not to mention I paid these fees on my regular tickets

They gotta do what they can to sell tickets lol not a good idea on their part

Reaction Score

All of what you say is a problem but I’m not sure what the solution is when the product is bad. Sure it’s more fair to lower all of the prices and then not lower them further. But you give up revenue on the front end and then give up on attendance on the other end.

I would imagine that there is no way to be satisfied as a season ticket holder when you are 3-9.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
All of what you say is a problem but I’m not sure what the solution is when the product is bad. Sure it’s more fair to lower all of the prices and then not lower them further. But you give up revenue on the front end and then give up on attendance on the other end.

I would imagine that there is no way to be satisfied as a season ticket holder when you are 3-9.

They do it across the board.

There is no long term strategy - there is only lets get as much money today as we can even if it cost us money yesterday and tomorrow.

I guess being bad excuses terrible ticket policies? If they are ever good again they already conditioned the buyers to act in a way that is forever going to limit their upside.

Reaction Score
They've done similar things in the past with "points" used for regular season and post season ticket sales priority. It's the "what have you done for me lately" method of managing assets like tickets.

We had been in the top annual donor group for over ten years, had lots of points, and all ticket sales had been based on total points for both regular season and post season games. But, when I called to order tickets for the women's Final Four in 1995 I learned there was a new twist to priority seating.

Ben Kirtland (later infamous for the ticket scalping scandal at Kansas) told me I'd have to call back in the afternoon because starting that year we were only in the second group eligible for postseason tickets. We had stayed at our long time annual donation level while they had added a new, higher, level that year and those who were in that new level were the first to be offered post season tickets, without regard to previous support or total points.

I asked if long term support and total points were now considered irrelevant because under this new policy someone with 10% as many total points would be given priority just because in this one year they made a larger donation.

Ben told me, "no, you still have priority for season tickets and that gets you great seats for all 18 or whatever home games each year, but for postseason we go by donor class and then total points within the classes."

I told him if UConn doesn't care about long term support then donors should do the same and cut their donations way back in years when the teams look as if they won't be very good. He didn't agree......

Reaction Score
They do it across the board.

There is no long term strategy - there is only lets get as much money today as we can even if it cost us money yesterday and tomorrow.

I guess being bad excuses terrible ticket policies? If they are ever good again they already conditioned the buyers to act in a way that is forever going to limit their upside.

Do you think this fanbase would ever behave in a way that wasn't selfish? Given how few fans actually donate to the school I'm not sure what other strategy works. This fanbase has shown that they will head for the hills at the first sign of adversity. I'm not excusing it, but even if you gave the tickets away for free only 15-20K people would show up. So why not get as much money as you can?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do you think this fanbase would ever behave in a way that wasn't selfish? Given how few fans actually donate to the school I'm not sure what other strategy works. This fanbase has shown that they will head for the hills at the first sign of adversity. I'm not excusing it, but even if you gave the tickets away for free only 15-20K people would show up. So why not get as much money as you can?

That’s the point: The short term cash grabs don’t maximize revenue. They do the opposite.

It’s an even worse strategy when you don’t generate a penny of revenue from parking or concessions. At least then you could pretend you were generating ancillary revenue.

Not rational consumer would buy a face value ticket from UConn.

If the argument is they can’t monetize a terrible fanbase then they should stop the bleeding. I wouldn’t come to that conclusion until they employ competence though...

Reaction Score
That’s the point: The short term cash grabs don’t maximize revenue. They do the opposite.

It’s an even worse strategy when you don’t generate a penny of revenue from parking or concessions. At least then you could pretend you were generating ancillary revenue.

Not rational consumer would buy a face value ticket from UConn.

If the argument is they can’t monetize a terrible fanbase then they should stop the bleeding. I wouldn’t come to that conclusion until they employ competence though...

I’m not sure that the math actually agrees with you. They are extracting $ from everyone that has an inelastic relationship with the university. I’m going to pay full freight no matter what the cost is. Because a) I’m going to go no matter what and b) I want to sit where I sit. And the people around me keep showing up year after year even though they could sit somewhere else and lose the seat donation.

If they charge me less money they just get less money. I’d love to see the list of people that don’t go to uconn games due to the prices.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m not sure that the math actually agrees with you. They are extracting $ from everyone that has an inelastic relationship with the university. I’m going to pay full freight no matter what the cost is. Because a) I’m going to go no matter what and b) I want to sit where I sit. And the people around me keep showing up year after year even though they could sit somewhere else and lose the seat donation.

If they charge me less money they just get less money. I’d love to see the list of people that don’t go to uconn games due to the prices.

I don’t believe there is no price you won’t pay and I think you are way overestimating the number of people with an inelastic relationship with the programs.

They have done a terrible job for too long and there is probably no way to fix it - but if you truly believe their approach is optimal then I’d suggest the market has rejected the product and they should be on the phone with the Big East asking if a football-less program has an invite for all sports.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe there is no price you won’t pay and I think you are way overestimating the number of people with an inelastic relationship with the programs.

They have done a terrible job for too long and there is probably no way to fix it - but if you truly believe their approach is optimal then I’d suggest the market has rejected the product and they should be on the phone with the Big East asking if a football-less program has an invite for all sports.

Of course there is a price I won't pay. I won't pay for a suite. I won't pay for chairbacks. Other people will. But I'm going to pay for Row 2 - 241 - seats 1-6 - where I prefer to sit - as long as there is a D1 team. If there isn't a D1 team, I will never go to another footabll game.

And of course I'm not overestimating the number of people that have an inelastic relationship with the department - given that there are only something like 3,500 donors - that's the maximum number of inelastic people we have. Which is pathetic given our athletic success.

And I'm not suggesting they are doing a good job. I'm just saying that if the job is extracting the maximum amount of money out of the existing base on a year by year basis, I'm not sure how else you do it - when the product is bad.

The thought that we can charge way less - and make it up in volume - doesn't work when most of our "fans" wouldn't show up to a game at any price.

Reaction Score

I agree with this. Trying to market the product as big time D1 football is a tough sell. I think they think that since folks got a taste of it 10 years ago, they are still big time. But the product is a long long way from that today. And if the team is not relevant, nobody cares. If UConn football was at the top of the American year after year, maybe...maybe they could market that. But this is no Michigan or Alabama. They have to really get creative and be realistic about bringing fans and season ticket holders in. I thought they were on the right track with the surveys they were doing trying to get input. I would think one of the ways to close the gap between season ticket holders and the $10 on game day fan is to provide non monetary exclusive perks to season holders that the $10 folks cannot access. I am not sure what perks fans would want. But if you survey them, you might find out what would tip the scale.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
FA577CD1-FBFF-4F26-9DFB-D42AC4A9E1CF.png
Of course there is a price I won't pay. I won't pay for a suite. I won't pay for chairbacks. Other people will. But I'm going to pay for Row 2 - 241 - seats 1-6 - where I prefer to sit - as long as there is a D1 team. If there isn't a D1 team, I will never go to another footabll game.

And of course I'm not overestimating the number of people that have an inelastic relationship with the department - given that there are only something like 3,500 donors - that's the maximum number of inelastic people we have. Which is pathetic given our athletic success.

And I'm not suggesting they are doing a good job. I'm just saying that if the job is extracting the maximum amount of money out of the existing base on a year by year basis, I'm not sure how else you do it - when the product is bad.

The thought that we can charge way less - and make it up in volume - doesn't work when most of our "fans" wouldn't show up to a game at any price.

I didn’t realize things were quite this bleak.

I guess it doesn’t matter anymore there is no coming back from here.

Maybe they should just start a gofundme.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'll take my own experience from another sport on: installment payment plan for men's hockey tickets is only available to people renewing season tickets.

So they only make it easier for renewing people to pay full-boat on season tickets, but not new customers. That's dumb. This isn't about cutting prices to get more tickets sold, they're getting full price customers in the end. If anything, they should be promoting the hell out of the ability to pay over time to get new customers.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
View attachment 32808

I didn’t realize things were quite this bleak.

Its almost as if paying $90 or more for a season ticket with the incentive to be able to make a season ticket that costs at least $30 less...doesn't...make sense?

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
I'll take my own experience from another sport on: installment payment plan for men's hockey tickets is only available to people renewing season tickets.

So they only make it easier for renewing people to pay full-boat on season tickets, but not new customers. That's dumb. This isn't about cutting prices to get more tickets sold, they're getting full price customers in the end. If anything, they should be promoting the hell out of the ability to pay over time to get new customers.

That right? No payment plans for new customers? Absurd.

Reaction Score
That right? No payment plans for new customers? Absurd.
I didn't even realize that was a thing for tickets. I'm not sure I'd ever consider it, granted there are people that finance couches so maybe I'm in the minority.

Reaction Score

Are you sure that's right? Did you call or just try to do it online?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom