UConn alums working in the media | The Boneyard

UConn alums working in the media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was thinking about this while reading the thread on Molly Qerim joining Mike and Mike in the morning. What other UConn alums work in the media? The only ones I can think of are Molly, Donny Marshall, Dave Usher from NBC 4 in New York, and ill also include Calhoun working at ESPN. Im just curious because I think that can only be a positive thing for UConn the more people we have working in the media. Television and radio networks are loaded with Syracuse people and ai think thats a good thing for them.

Reaction Score
I asked Susan Herbst why UConn, situated between New York, Boston and Bristol, doesn't have a school of broadcast journalism? Heck even Quinnipiac has one. And she said that they are focusing on digital media. I didn't press her, but I was underwhelmed by that answer.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this while reading the thread on Molly Qerim joining Mike and Mike in the morning. What other UConn alums work in the media? The only ones I can think of are Molly, Donny Marshall, Dave Usher from NBC 4 in New York, and ill also include Calhoun working at ESPN. Im just curious because I think that can only be a positive thing for UConn the more people we have working in the media. Television and radio networks are loaded with Syracuse people and ai think thats a good thing for them.
Rebecca Lobo and Karen Wolters do womens games.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
When we are with this one, can we do a list of UConn Alum working at the Best Pizza Places in CT?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I asked Susan Herbst why UConn, situated between New York, Boston and Bristol, doesn't have a school of broadcast journalism? Heck even Quinnipiac has one. And she said that they are focusing on digital media. I didn't press her, but I was underwhelmed by that answer.

When did you ask her this?

Were you able to NOT mention Tim Boyle during your convo with her?

Reaction Score
You shouldn't be - digital media is a growth industry that's drawing huge investment and provides huge future possibilities. Broadcast journalism really isn't.

Anyway, we're big in soccer: Andy Das at the NY Times is a UConn alum, as is Chris Alexopolos at ESPN (he's a producer - and check out his Twitter avatar). And this is me.

EDIT: I should add that Kyle McCarthy of FoxSoccer is an alum of UConn law. Did his undergrad elsewhere, however.

Tim Crawford, the analytics guy with the Revs, is also a UConn grad.

We are pretty thoroughly outnumbered by Ivy League, Syracuse & Maryland alums, however.

Last edited:

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Why do you hate Tim Boyle so much?

I don't.
Why did you answer a question with a question? Did you learn that at UConn?

Why do you hate Chandler Whitmer so much?

Reaction Score
You shouldn't be - digital media is a growth industry that's drawing huge investment and provides huge future possibilities. Broadcast journalism really isn't.

Anyway, we're big in soccer: Andy Das at the NY Times is a UConn alum, as is Chris Alexopolos at ESPN (he's a producer - and check out his Twitter avatar). And this is me.

EDIT: I should add that Kyle McCarthy of FoxSoccer is an alum of UConn law. Did his undergrad elsewhere, however.

Tim Crawford, the analytics guy with the Revs, is also a UConn grad.

We are pretty thoroughly outnumbered by Ivy League, Syracuse & Maryland alums, however.

The term digital media is wrong. Everything is digital. CBS is digital. Newspapers are digital, kids have digital media outlets in their mom's basement. My cat is digital. Seriously, he has a chip in his neck to identify him if he is lost. What they mean is internet media. And even internet media is dominated by broadcast. Hell, I employ 5o people in digital media (really 30 but I'm on a roll) and I hate the term. It's small minded.

You know a digital media outlet has made it when they start using people from broadcast media. The fact that UConn concentrates on digital media and ignores broadcast media is not a badge of honor.

Reaction Score
I don't.
Why did you answer a question with a question? Did you learn that at UConn?

Why do you hate Chandler Whitmer so much?
I don't hate CW. I appreciate every kid who has accepted a scholarship to UConn in any sport. I just thought he was a very poor football player.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I don't hate CW. I appreciate every kid who has accepted a scholarship to UConn in any sport. I just thought he was a very poor football player.

Well stated.

You summed up my feeling about UConn student athletes and my thoughts about Tim Boyle - Both me and the coaches felt Tim was poorer at playing QB at UConn than Chandler.

Reaction Score
Well stated.

You summed up my feeling about UConn student athletes and my thoughts about Tim Boyle - Both me and the coaches felt Tim was poorer at playing QB at UConn than Chandler.
Then why did they pull CW for Boyle?

For exactly the reasons that I wanted to see Boyle play. First Chandler wasn't getting it done. Second, there was no upside to Chandler because as a senior he was leaving the program. Third, the coaches wanted to see what they had in Tim (good or bad), so they would NOT be heading into 2015 clueless. Finally, perhaps investing in Tim in 2014 would give him a leg up in 2015.

Diaco's decision to pull CW, much later than I would, was the right one for all the above reasons.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Then why did they pull CW for Boyle?

For exactly the reasons that I wanted to see Boyle play. First Chandler wasn't getting it done. Second, there was no upside to Chandler because as a senior he was leaving the program. Third, the coaches wanted to see what they had in Tim (good or bad), so they would NOT be heading into 2015 clueless. Finally, perhaps investing in Tim in 2014 would give him a leg up in 2015.

Diaco's decision to pull CW, much later than I would, was the right one for all the above reasons.

No Leg up from what I hear...but you seem to know what the coaches are thinking.

It is EXTREMELY rare to not produce in practice and go lights out in games...Tim included.

Reaction Score
Back on track.

Justin Verrier (Daily Campus) is NBA Editor at ESPN.com

Matthew Doyle at MLS.com is UConn Alum

Duffy at MassLive? Ostrout? Silver?

Norlander at CBS is WestConn but big UConn fan.

Reaction Score

Isn't Rip Hamilton trying to get into broadcasting?

Reaction Score
Rip did some media stuff this year (NBA network maybe?). I think he said he wants to do more.

Swin Cash does a lot, mostly for CBS. Meghan culmo calls the women's games on sny.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
fwiw, I was the first person in the history of UConn to get a perfect score on John Breen's Journo 101 geography test.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a Journo 102 or Journo anything else back in 1977. It was my original goal to be Roger Grimsby, but couldn't do it at Storrs.

Anyway here's a (very short) list of journalist alumni: http://journalism.uconn.edu/category/alumniprofiles/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom