UConn Alumnae's Slow WNBA Start | The Boneyard

UConn Alumnae's Slow WNBA Start

Reaction Score
Seems as though some of our UConn ladies are experiencing sluggish play in this early season.

Last night Maya Moore scored just 6 points on 2-6 shooting. She ranks 28th in league scoring. Breanna Stewart scored 14 points in the same game, but on 5-14 shooting. She stands 23rd in scoring. Is Breanna suffering lingering effects of that knee injury from China?

Bria Hartley, coming back from injury and motherhood, is scoring just 2 points per game.

Saniya Chong is at 2.7 ppg, cooling off a bit, although that places her 10th among rookies. She's 4th in assists among rookies.

Kiah Stokes is scoring at the slowest pace of her three-year career, under 5 ppg. She had a strong game recently, but her coach acknowledged that the coaching staff and her teammates had taken her to task for her early-season performance.

And we have two players out with serious injuries- Kaleena Mosquera-Lewis and Morgan Tuck.

On the other hand, Stephanie Dolson is doing well, scoring 12 ppg, while the workhorse of all-time, Tiffany Hayes, is really shining now, and Tina Charles is proving herself Ms Consistency once again.

But in terms of the UConn cohort, it seems to be an uncharacteristically sluggish early performance.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tiffany was the Eastern Conference Player of the Month in May, and Tina looks like an MVP candidate as she is tied for the league scoring lead. I believe that Sue is averaging a career-high in assists and leading the league. So there are some real positives.

Maya and Stewie will get going at some point, though I expect Maya's scoring to be lower than usual because of the focus on Sylvia. Stewie needs more help from Swords inside.

I'm bummed about the injuries to Morgan and Kaleena.

Reaction Score
And does anyone know why Moriah is coming off the bench for the Stars? I know she had some "knee soreness" that kept her our of the first few games of the season. Is that the issue, or is it something else?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Played only 19 minutes last night...didn't look right

Reaction Score
yeah, Moriah doesn't look right yet. I suspect they were trying to use her as a spark off the bench since in previous games the Stars started well, then fizzled. Didn't work tho. I think she is till compromised by that knee and when your quickness is one of your chief assets, that is a big deal. Hope she gets well soon.

Reaction Score
Tiffany was the Eastern Conference Player of the Month in May, and Tina looks like an MVP candidate as she is tied for the league scoring lead. I believe that Sue is averaging a career-high in assists and leading the league. So there are some real positives.

Maya and Stewie will get going at some point, though I expect Maya's scoring to be lower than usual because of the focus on Sylvia. Stewie needs more help from Swords inside.

I'm bummed about the injuries to Morgan and Kaleena.

Yep, Sue is at a career high in assists in this young season. On the other hand, she''s averaging just 8 ppg. She's never averaged in single-digits in scoring anytime in her long career. Of course, there could be a strategic shift on the court.

So that makes two UConn alumnae out with injuries, and at least two more hobbled on the court: Moriah and Breanna.

Anyone else?

Always rooting for them, of course. Just an uncharacteristic start for the group.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree that Mo is not 100% physically. Stewie may not be either. And Tuck is out. Tough sophomore season for the Big 3. :(

Let's give them time, however.

It's still early in the season. I expect that most players will finish close to their career averages, but I do see some impact of injuries, fatigue, or rust.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Saniya Chong is at 2.7 ppg, cooling off a bit, although that places her 10th among rookies. She's 4th in assists among rookies.

Leading rookies in steals, too.

I was just thinking on my run today that she's likely do as she has all through her collegiate career, and go for 15-20 once or twice during the season. I'm just happy she's playing as much as she is -- the more she plays, the more comfortable she'll become.

Reaction Score
Leading rookies in steals, too.

I was just thinking on my run today that she's likely do as she has all through her collegiate career, and go for 15-20 once or twice during the season. I'm just happy she's playing as much as she is -- the more she plays, the more comfortable she'll become.

I think UCONN prepares all of its players extremely well. Saniya plays very good defense, understands offensive and defensive sets really well. She is a great backup for Diggins-Smith. I have only been worried about her scoring. She is a pass first, pass second point guard.

How long can a minimally scoring guard stay in the league/get a serious look overseas? What does Saniya have that sets her apart from all of the talented guards that are graduating and looking for a spot in the W next year?

Don't get me wrong. I am a Saniya fan. I want her to blossom in the WNBA and show that she can be a top guard. I am just not sure that defense only will keep her in the league for years to come.

I hope that I am wrong. Play long. Play hard Saniya

Reaction Score
is there a specific injury tuck suffered? i didn't read anything definitively

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think UConn prepares all of its players extremely well. Saniya plays very good defense, understands offensive and defensive sets really well. She is a great backup for Diggins-Smith. I have only been worried about her scoring. She is a pass first, pass second point guard.

How long can a minimally scoring guard stay in the league/get a serious look overseas? What does Saniya have that sets her apart from all of the talented guards that are graduating and looking for a spot in the W next year?

Don't get me wrong. I am a Saniya fan. I want her to blossom in the WNBA and show that she can be a top guard. I am just not sure that defense only will keep her in the league for years to come.

I hope that I am wrong. Play long. Play hard Saniya
I think Saniya has looked good when I've seen her. She fits in well and moves the ball better than maybe anyone else on her team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, Morgan at least looks good!

And Moriah and KayMac having fun
Instagram post by Kayla McBride • Jun 4, 2017 at 2:32pm UTC

The year that Morgan sat out, she always looked fabulous on the bench. I'm not sure that she ever wore the same dress twice. I think she's a Summa Cum Laude graduate of the Christine Dailey School of Fashion. My only "complaint" was that I wanted to see her in something more casual--such as a uniform! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom