UConn Alum (Overseas) | The Boneyard

UConn Alum (Overseas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i was wondering if we can keep a thread going with updates from the international winter leagues?

i have seen some updates regarding Breanna and Stef in China, and KML in France, but i think it would be cool to have a couple updates per week...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Speaking over alums overseas, I saw a couple of new (to me) photos of Maya on her management agency's site. I knew she was into a much healthier diet these last couple of years but did not know about her "Beyond Meat" advocacy. Pretty cool! And outstanding photos, I might add. Maya is truly an elite athlete.

Wasserman Media

Maya wasserman 1.jpg

Maya wasserman 2.jpg

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
P.S. As far as I know, Maya will be hooking up again with the Shanxi Flame this winter. If the past is any guide, she won't start her season over there until well into November, possibly even after Thanksgiving. Then she will come back and rest several weeks before the WNBA training camp starts. Smart way to save additional wear and tear on her body.

I see that Jewell Loyd is playing for Shanxi this season (LINK to story) so I am not positive that Maya is still with that squad. I would still bet on it, though. She has been a sensation over there and I think she still has another year on her contract with them.

Apparently, some players will make more than one stop during the winter season. I see a write-up on the Chinese basketball site that Candace Parker played in 2 winter different leagues last year (LINK to story). Also, she either played in the Chinese league late last season or will be playing in it this season, for Guangdong. I can't quite tell for sure from the write-up. More likely it is this upcoming season, though.

Too bad the WNBA doesn't keep their own Players Overseas updated! It would be a great resource.

As MilfordHusky pointed out, Stef is over in China but I can't find which team she's on. Here's a great pic of her and Stewie meeting up on the court, courtesy of Stef, on her Twitter acct!

Stef's Twitter

stef and stewie.jpg

Reaction Score
In 2012, the average WNBA salary was $72,000, and the league minimum was $36,570, according to an ESPN report. For that same year overseas, a typical contract started at $40,000, with top players making about $600,000. Since there are few to no salary caps in international leagues, some players, such as Taurasi, could even make $1 million or more.

Salaries an issue for WNBA players

Reaction Score
P.S. As far as I know, Maya will be hooking up again with the Shanxi Flame this winter. If the past is any guide, she won't start her season over there until well into November, possibly even after Thanksgiving. Then she will come back and rest several weeks before the WNBA training camp starts. Smart way to save additional wear and tear on her body.

I see that Jewell Loyd is playing for Shanxi this season (LINK to story) so I am not positive that Maya is still with that squad. I would still bet on it, though. She has been a sensation over there and I think she still has another year on her contract with them.

Apparently, some players will make more than one stop during the winter season. I see a write-up on the Chinese basketball site that Candace Parker played in 2 winter different leagues last year (LINK to story). Also, she either played in the Chinese league late last season or will be playing in it this season, for Guangdong. I can't quite tell for sure from the write-up. More likely it is this upcoming season, though.

Too bad the WNBA doesn't keep their own Players Overseas updated! It would be a great resource.

As MilfordHusky pointed out, Stef is over in China but I can't find which team she's on. Here's a great pic of her and Stewie meeting up on the court, courtesy of Stef, on her Twitter acct!

Stef's Twitter

View attachment 16344
Stef is playing for Sichuan. If you go to women's basketball 24/7 website, it has scores for the overseas women team.

Reaction Score
I think it would be a no-brainer for the WNBA, to maintain interest during the too long off season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stef is playing for Sichuan. If you go to women's basketball 24/7 website, it has scores for the overseas women team.
Sounds like a spicy place--perfect for Stef!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom