UConn All-Decade Team | The Boneyard

UConn All-Decade Team

Reaction Score
Wanted to set the record straight, as I've seen a few UConn all-decade teams that are laughable. When it comes to contribution to UConn basketball at the college level, here is my best take on it.

Methodology: Ranking top 10 regardless of position (I didn't want to be constrained by having to pick best of at each position to create a starting 5). Additionally, I am only considering COLLEGE performance and contribution. This is just simply put, the top 10 players to wear the UConn jersey in games at the collegiate-level this decade.

1. Kemba Walker
Let's not waste time here.

2. Shabazz Napier
Again, let's not waste time here.

3. Jeremy Lamb
After the first two names, no doubt the third best combination of talent and impact to the program this decade. I get he only has two seasons with the program with a Freshmen year regular season that was definitely nothing special, but to have the postseason he had with Kemba as a Freshman and then prove it was no fluke with an All-Big East team nod his second year with one of the best individual regular seasons this decade gives him the edge to me over the next couple names on this list.

4. Jalen Adams
Even though UConn was at it depths, Jalen Adams was debateably the best player on the team for three years this decade. Top 10 all-time in scoring and assists (Jim Calhoun era) is not a light accomplishment and you can't entirely hold the lack of team success against him when you evaluate him as a player. That being said, the lack of success is what bumps him slightly down to me compared to Lamb. I could see the argument either way, but regardless, his full-court buzzer beater might be the second most iconic UConn moment this decade.

5. Ryan Boatright
From all the lists I've seen of UConn decade teams, Boatright has gotten the least respect out of anyone this decade. Everyday starter and no doubt key part of the 2014 championship team, and then the unquestioned leader of the 2015 team that, albeit didn't have a lot of success, made a nice run in the AAC tournament with a buzzer-beater win over Cincy at the XL, that I will never forget. After the first two names on this list, he embodied the best of what it meant to be a UConn guard.

6. DeAndre Daniels
Similar career to Lamb and he was maybe just as integral to the 2014 Championship team as Lamb was to the 2011. Had he come back for his senior year, who knows how good that 2015 team could've been with him, Boatright, Hamilton, but because he we didn't get to see a true year of Daniels in his tournament form, I knocked him down a few pegs on my list.

7. Daniel Hamilton
Probably the most talented true wing player we had this decade, an AAC rookie of the year, and all-conference player. Even though that 2016 team went nowhere, he was right there with Jalen as the best player on that team. Had he stayed longer, we could've seen him fill the record books across points, assists and rebounds like no other Husky in history, but only two years of his excellent all-around play moves him to 7 for me.

8. Neils Giffey
Now I'll admit I'm a bit biased here, as Giffey is my second favorite Husky of all time (behind my namesake), but Giffey was maybe the greatest glue-guy in UConn history, and maybe even this decade in all of college basketball. He is also one of the few guys who can say they played significant minutes in both National Title games this decade (never forget as a freshmen he logged 20+ minutes in the 2011 slugfest against Butler being a pest on D). Again, my favorite Husky this decade and you'll be hard-pressed to find someone who played harder for his role every time he stepped out on the court than Giffey.

9. Amida Brimah
A rough, rough decade for UConn centers, and while Brimah is definitely not the most talented one this decade, he made his impact on UConn history forever. People may not realize that he climbed to number 3 all-time in blocks for the program, which puts him in elite company. And his offensive rebound, and-one against St Joe's to tie the game in the first round of the 2014 tournament started the entire run. His contribution to UConn hoops far surpasses the next name on this list.

10. Andre Drummond
I almost didn't even put him on this list. Yes, he had the best single season for a center this decade, but that's not even saying much. If he could've gone to the league straight outta high school, he would've and he should've. Way too many lists had him in their all-decade starting lineup as a center, and that's just disrespectful to the rest of the guys I've put ahead of him in terms of contribution to the program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom