UConn - A Collection of 3pt Assassins | The Boneyard

UConn - A Collection of 3pt Assassins

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn has always been a good 3pt shooting team, but this year they have risen to another level. As a team, UConn is currently 5th in the nation at .417. After completing the toughest part of their schedule, the Huskies trail only Oregon St, Miami of OH, Baylor & Oregon from behind the arc.

On an individual level, the Huskies have 3 of the top 8 long range shooters in the nation with Kia leading the nation at .558, Lou 6th at .514 & Danger in 8th at .510. Only MD (19 & 27) and Creighton (21/31) have more than one player in the top 50. NOTE - for some reason, Lou's stats are not included on the NCAA stats page, although she has more than enough 3pt shots to qualify - perhaps it's limited by # of games played?

Clearly, the 3pt shot is becoming a more important part of basketball at all levels. While just about everyone shoots the 3 nowadays, most teams would consider themselves lucky to have one player shooting better than 40% from the arc. The Huskies have 3 of only 12 players in the country who shoot over 50%.

You can not overstate how difficult it is for opposing teams to defend another team that can spread the floor and knock down 3's like UConn. Add in the fact that Pheesa, Z, Gabby & Lou can also post up defenders and score in the paint, and opposing teams truly have to pick their poison when they face the Huskies.

Finally, Pheesa has started to shoot the 3 better after a slow start and Z should eventually come around as well. Add in a number of subs who can also bury the 3, and this UConn team is truly a collection of 3pt assassins.

Reaction Score
UConn has always been a good 3pt shooting team, but this year they have risen to another level. As a team, UConn is currently 5th in the nation at .417. After completing the toughest part of their schedule, the Huskies trail only Oregon St, Miami of OH, Baylor & Oregon from behind the arc.

On an individual level, the Huskies have 3 of the top 8 long range shooters in the nation with Kia leading the nation at .558, Lou 6th at .514 & Danger in 8th at .510. Only MD (19 & 27) and Creighton (21/31) have more than one player in the top 50. NOTE - for some reason, Lou's stats are not included on the NCAA stats page, although she has more than enough 3pt shots to qualify - perhaps it's limited by # of games played?

Clearly, the 3pt shot is becoming a more important part of basketball at all levels. While just about everyone shoots the 3 nowadays, most teams would consider themselves lucky to have one player shooting better than 40% from the arc. The Huskies have 3 of only 12 players in the country who shoot over 50%.

You can not overstate how difficult it is for opposing teams to defend another team that can spread the floor and knock down 3's like UConn. Add in the fact that Pheesa, Z, Gabby & Lou can also post up defenders and score in the paint, and opposing teams truly have to pick their poison when they face the Huskies.

Finally, Pheesa has started to shoot the 3 better after a slow start and Z should eventually come around as well. Add in a number of subs who can also bury the 3, and this UConn team is truly a collection of 3pt assassins.
If I recall correctly, for a player to be on that list they had to have played in 70 or 75 percent of the team's games. Lou has played in 60 percent.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, for a player to be on that list they had to have played in 70 or 75 percent of the team's games. Lou has played in 60 percent.l
Hopefully Lou will stay healthy and continue knocking down shots.

Reaction Score
In addition to the marksmanship, they are all very willing and accomplished passers, so even if you close out quickly, you get back cut or the ball is on its way to a more open shooter.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Lou's stats are not included on the NCAA stats page, although she has more than enough 3pt shots to qualify - perhaps it's limited by # of games played?

Per NCAA re 3pt%:
Min. 2 made per game
Players must play in 75% of their team's games

Lou has played in 60% of UCONN's games

Reaction Score
The best was the 2014-15 season when the starting line up was Mo, Kia, KML, Tuck, Stewie. If you read other teams' boards boy did that team irritate fans because as one poster from another site put it "everyone on the team including the ball boy can shoot threes."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With 3 UConn players currently shooting over .500 from the arc, I was curious to see if any Husky had ever shot .500 or better for a full season, so I checked out the archives. I discovered that 4 UConn Huskies had shot .500 or better for a season from the arc:
  • Kiah Stokes - 2014-15 - .500 (1-2)
  • Tahira Williams - 2007-08 - the only Husky to ever shoot 1.000 (1-1)
  • Jessica Moore - 2003-04 - .500 (1-2)
  • And my favorite - Stacey Marron - 2002-03 - .588 (10-17) playing only 1.4 minutes per game. Clearly, Stacey was the Queen of Mop-Up Time.

Reaction Score
With 3 UConn players currently shooting over .500 from the arc, I was curious to see if any Husky had ever shot .500 or better for a full season, so I checked out the archives. I discovered that 4 UConn Huskies had shot .500 or better for a season from the arc:
  • Kiah Stokes - 2014-15 - .500 (1-2)
  • Tahira Williams - 2007-08 - the only Husky to ever shoot 1.000 (1-1)
  • Jessica Moore - 2003-04 - .500 (1-2)
  • And my favorite - Stacey Marron - 2002-03 - .588 (10-17) playing only 1.4 minutes per game. Clearly, Stacey was the Queen of Mop-Up Time.

This is the very reason why I've been so adamant as of this very moment Kia Nurse belongs 1/2 in terms of shooting guard in the nation. She is doing something that has been historically never done. Her EFG% is 75.26%. Other factors for a sg such as "this other guard has a better handle" or "this other guard has a better mid-range game" or "this other guard can gets off her won shot better" it is mostly irrelevant to selecting a collage all-american. It's more relevant to the pro game. Nurse is averaging over 16 ppg. It's not like she is just scoring 6-8 points while knocking down one-to-two 3's per game. And when you add in the fact that UCONN has played the toughest schedule in all of basketball- it's even more impressive. Sometimes I feel that the one-on-one player gets way more appreciation than they should vs the shooter.

All three players shooting over .500 from 3 is insane. Even if one does it, it's insane. And they've played the toughest schedule? That's sick what they are doing-- not just "good!" :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is the very reason why I've been so adamant as of this very moment Kia Nurse belongs 1/2 in terms of shooting guard in the nation. She is doing something that has been historically never done. Her EFG% is 75.26%. Other factors for a sg such as "this other guard has a better handle" or "this other guard has a better mid-range game" or "this other guard can gets off her won shot better" it is mostly irrelevant to selecting a collage all-american. It's more relevant to the pro game. Nurse is averaging over 16 ppg. It's not like she is just scoring 6-8 points while knocking down one-to-two 3's per game. And when you add in the fact that UCONN has played the toughest schedule in all of basketball- it's even more impressive. Sometimes I feel that the one-on-one player gets way more appreciation than they should vs the shooter.

All three players shooting over .500 from 3 is insane. Even if one does it, it's insane. And they've played the toughest schedule? That's sick what they are doing-- not just "good!" :)
I prophesized at the end of last season that after setting the NCAA tournament record for 3pt shooting, Kia would lead the nation in 3pt shooting this season. So far, that looks like a pretty good prediction. My other prediction was that if Kia leads the nation in 3pt shooting, she would make one of the AA teams as a 1st teamer. Hope I'm right on that call....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A few thoughts on 3-point shooting:

Both Oregon and Oregon State are ranked ahead of us. Is there something in the water up there? Lexi Bando was a top shooter last year. Sabrina Ionescu is over 50% this year.

It's not too surprising that some players are over 50%, because extreme performances are possible over shorter periods. Most teams have played only 10-13 games of a 30-game (or so) schedule. But most teams will play harder schedules in conference, while UConn will play an easier schedule. That suggests that the UConn players might be able to maintain or even improve on their stats, while players and teams in other conferences will see a moderation of their stats.

Crystal has come out firing from 20-25'. She is more accurate than I expected, though I knew she was a gifted scorer. Kia is now in the KML/Maya realm--I expect every 3-pointer to go in. And Lou has been a great shooter for years. At this point, she is chasing her sisters and fellow Mater Dei alum Kaleena in the record books. As of now, A'ja Wilson looks like the leader for NPOY, but I think Lou could be a strong second and a favorite for next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

If I recall correctly, for a player to be on that list they had to have played in 70 or 75 percent of the team's games. Lou has played in 60 percent.
Pretty sure the 'qualifying' requirement for 3 point percentage is not games or minutes but number of made 3 pointers with the current cut-off being 20 and Lou with 19 falls one short because of her limited games.
Statistics rankings limited by # = stats where volume evens out anomalous results like a player shooting 100% for a year because they took and made 1 shot even though they played XXX number of minutes or yy number of games e.g. FT %, FG %, 3pt %, A/TO ratio.

Other stats rankings may be limited by games played but I am not sure.

On Edit - the qualifying number will change as the season progresses and is a general number based on average number of games played by teams even though actual games per team will vary day by day - I suspect it is based on 2 makes per game currently assuming teams will have played 10 games (10x2=20) by the end of the year it will probably be set at around 70 (2x35=70)

Reaction Score
Pretty sure the 'qualifying' requirement for 3 point percentage is not games or minutes but number of made 3 pointers with the current cut-off being 20 and Lou with 19 falls one short because of her limited games.
Statistics limited by # of = stats where volume evens out anomalous results like a player shooting 100% for a year because they took and made 1 shot even though they played XXX number of minutes or yy number of games e.g. FT %, FG %, 3pt %, A/TO ratio.

Other stats may be limited by games played but I am not sure.
As per the NCAA Stats page it's percent of games played...at least for 3 pointers... and as SVCBeerCats stated, the games played percentage is 75%. Sorry, but it's right on the NCAA Stats page... I didn't make it up... there may be a minimum number of shots requirement as well, but that's not obvious from the site.

As an Edit... I checked the NCAA Stats page... and confirmed that for 3Point Percentage ranking, the player has to have been in 75% of the Team's Games... and a minimum of 2 average of 2 made 3s per game.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I prophesized at the end of last season that after setting the NCAA tournament record for 3pt shooting, Kia would lead the nation in 3pt shooting this season. So far, that looks like a pretty good prediction. My other prediction was that if Kia leads the nation in 3pt shooting, she would make one of the AA teams as a 1st teamer. Hope I'm right on that call....
Good call dude.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Only MD (19 & 27) and Creighton (21/31) have more than one player in the top 50

Oregon has #6 and #47. I'm surprised Oregon St. has only 1 in the top 50, given their overall team shooting. Must have a couple more just outside the top 50.

15 players shooting 48% or better and 9 hitting 50% or more currently. Those numbers are gonna start dropping, there's just no way that many players are gonna keep up that kind of accuracy through an entire season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oregon has #6 and #47. I'm surprised Oregon St. has only 1 in the top 50, given their overall team shooting. Must have a couple more just outside the top 50.

15 players shooting 48% or better and 9 hitting 50% or more currently. Those numbers are gonna start dropping, there's just no way that many players are gonna keep up that kind of accuracy through an entire season.
I stand corrected, although I will point out that when you insert Lou into the mix, who is omitted because she has not played in 75% of UConn’s games, or she is 1 make short of qualifying, Oregon drops to 7 & 48.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts on 3-point shooting:

Both Oregon and Oregon State are ranked ahead of us. Is there something in the water up there? Lexi Bando was a top shooter last year. Sabrina Ionescu is over 50% this year.

No, nobody plays defense out there.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Anybody know where Kia stands with respect to UConn's all-time cumulative made threes list? Is it too early to put her on a career "watch list"?

[e.g., "Kia now has x made threes which puts her y on UConn's all-time list." She now needs z to pass so-and-so on the list.]

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hey, about that "no defense" bit. They've just completed the non conference portion of the schedule, so they've been playing teams from all over the country. Oregon has had 4 games against SEC teams.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hey, about that "no defense" bit. They've just completed the non conference portion of the schedule, so they've been playing teams from all over the country. Oregon has had 4 games against SEC teams.
About those SEC games. While I like the fact that the Ducks and the Aggies played an OOC home & home series in the same season, it’s really unusual to see that in this day and age.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
About those SEC games. While I like the fact that the Ducks and the Aggies played an OOC home & home series in the same season, it’s really unusual to see that in this day and age.

It really is. Stanford and Ohio St. played twice this year as well.

Reaction Score
Anybody know where Kia stands with respect to UConn's all-time cumulative made threes list? Is it too early to put her on a career "watch list"?

[e.g., "Kia now has x made threes which puts her y on UConn's all-time list." She now needs z to pass so-and-so on the list.]
Here are the up to date stats:

3-POINT FIELD GOALS MADE
Through 12/29/17
1. 398------------------ Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
--------------(398-890), 142 games, 2011-15
2. 318-------------------------------- Diana Taurasi
(318-811), 144 games, 2001-04
3. 311---------------------------------- Maya Moore
--------------(311-769), 154 games, 2007-11
4. 290--------------------------------- Ann Strother
--------------(290-770), 143 games, 2002-06
5. 279--------------------------------- Wendy Davis
--------------(279-635), 127 games, 1989-92
6. 259---------------------------------- Bria Hartley
--------------(259-741), 153 games, 2010-14
7. 254------------------------- Renee Montgomery
--------------(254-749), 150 games, 2006-09
8. 224---------------------------------- Mel Thomas
--------------(224-555), 116 games, 2005-08
9. 216--------------------Katie Lou Samuelson
10. 207---------------------------------------Sue Bird
--------------(207-451), 118 games, 1999-02
10. 207------------------------------Jennifer Rizzotti
--------------(207-564), 135 games, 1993-96
12. 206----------------------------------- Kia Nurse
13. 186-------------------------------- Tiffany Hayes
-----------(186-517), 154 games, 2008-2012
14. 170---------------------------------Maria Conlon
--------------(170-452), 135 games, 2001-04
15. 161-------------------------------- Kerry Bascom
--------------(161-405), 120 games, 1988-91
16. 159-----------------------------Moriah Jefferson
--------------(159-379), 155 games, 2012-16
17. 152-----------------------------Breanna Stewart
--------------(152-428), 152 games, 2012-1

Kia is two 3s from moving past Sue and Jen into tenth place.:);)

Reaction Score

now if they could only make their layups................:rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
now if they could only make their layups......:rolleyes:
It is worth noting that Crystal has a higher shooting percentage outside the arc, and Lou & Kia are only slightly better inside the arc than outside.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
As an Edit... I checked the NCAA Stats page... and confirmed that for 3Point Percentage ranking, the player has to have been in 75% of the Team's Games... and a minimum of 2 average of 2 made 3s per game.

Believe in the Da SVC! :rolleyes:;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom