UConn @ #9/#11 Texas Tech (Friday 3/12/21 @ 3p ET, Saturday 3/13 @ 3p, Sunday 3/14 @ 3p, Monday 3/15@ 11a). All on ESPN+/WHUS | Page 19 | The Boneyard

UConn @ #9/#11 Texas Tech (Friday 3/12/21 @ 3p ET, Saturday 3/13 @ 3p, Sunday 3/14 @ 3p, Monday 3/15@ 11a). All on ESPN+/WHUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
4-10 is disappointing. Could easily be 10-4 against a stacked schedule. They have shown that they can play against the best, hold their own and compete. Now they need to learn how to win. (that last game was brutal) It is unbelievable that 9 of their 10 losses are 2 runs or less and 6 are by 1 run. Winning will come with their northeast/Big East schedule. They will need to win the Big East tourney to get in to the NCAA's unless they absolutely demolish the rest of their schedule, but they are more than capable. They need to get healthy and most importantly get their pitching straightened out (cut down significantly on walks and HBP's and make the other teams earn their baserunners). We've heard so much about what a great pitching coach MacDonald is, now is the time for him to show it. Its easy to throw a Mason Feole, Jake Wallace or Tim Cate our there and have them succeed. With this group he will need to develop them and instill confidence in them. My opinion is that the main things this team is missing is: (a) situational hitting and hitting with runners on base; and (b) a Sat, Sun. and Monday starter you can count on to give you a solid outing (and for the bullpen to get 100% healthy). If they can get that, they will be very dangerous come the end of the season and tourney time.

Reaction Score
He just might be the Mark Teixeira of the team....he has gotten off to what seems like poor starts in first few games every year. Then when he heats up what the hell out. I remember him going like 0-what seemed like forever as a frosh only to hit almost .250.

Reaction Score
He just might be the Mark Teixeira of the team....he has gotten off to what seems like poor starts in first few games every year. Then when he heats up what the hell out. I remember him going like 0-what seemed like forever as a frosh only to hit almost .250.

From listening to one of the Texas Tech postgame interviews, Coach Penders talks about Kyler Fedko having a preseason injury. His swing was affected when he came back from the injury. It sounds like during the week before the Texas Tech series, Kyler and the coaches basically retooled his swing. Looks like the retooling worked pretty well.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am disappointed in the on field play, but not down on the potential on this team. Not to sound redundant, we need 2 out knocks and I think that will happen. A few keys is getting Chris Winkel to hit and then the starting pitching needs to throw strikes. I am concerned about the regression of Joe S, Jimmy W and Colby D. I expected much more from the three of them. I also would like to see Caleb pitching in more manageable situations. He was gassed at the start of that inning and he shouldn't be throwing 60 pitches an appearance. A reliable set up guy- whether it is Marrero, Willis, Favieri or Polonia would be help here. We have always had good closers but also really good set up guys to get there. Those set up guys ultimately became closers.

Bottom line, there is a lot to like - it needs to be cleaned up and then we need to go on a run. We are capable, now let's see them do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom