UConn’s Walker poised for a breakout season | The Boneyard

UConn’s Walker poised for a breakout season

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
UConn’s Walker poised for a breakout season with a few pictures

“For me, personally, I couldn’t get over that hump,” Walker said Friday following First Night festivities at Gampel Pavilion. “I think I finally have this year, so I’m really excited.”

Geno giveth and Geno taketh away.
“From the player that showed up the first week of practice last year to this year, it’s not even the same person,” Auriemma said. “That’s been really, really impressive to see her make that kind of a jump. Most freshmen make a jump, but hers has been huge — as big as any freshman I’ve seen.
“Now, she had a long way to jump, I get that.” :D He's a funny guy!

“She got a lot bigger,” Dangerfield said. “She hit the weight room really hard this summer. She’s been working on her foot speed. She’s doing a great job handling the challenges Coach throws at her.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn’s Walker poised for a breakout season with a few pictures

“For me, personally, I couldn’t get over that hump,” Walker said Friday following First Night festivities at Gampel Pavilion. “I think I finally have this year, so I’m really excited.”

Geno giveth and Geno taketh away.
“From the player that showed up the first week of practice last year to this year, it’s not even the same person,” Auriemma said. “That’s been really, really impressive to see her make that kind of a jump. Most freshmen make a jump, but hers has been huge — as big as any freshman I’ve seen.
“Now, she had a long way to jump, I get that.” :DHe's a funny guy!

“She got a lot bigger,” Dangerfield said. “She hit the weight room really hard this summer. She’s been working on her foot speed. She’s doing a great job handling the challenges Coach throws at her.”

Napheesa is a workout warrior. From what we’re hearing, Megan’s decision to hang out ( and work out) with Napheesa over the summer has paid off in several areas. In addition to the physical workouts, Napheesa undoubtedly mentored and poured into her during their down time. Sometimes students/athletes learn better/faster from peer mentors than adults.

If Megan has in fact made the anticipated jump, her offensive production will be welcomed as It will take some pressure off the BIG 3, who as Geno said is expected to do all of the heavy lifting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can't wait for the season to start. I think they will be a great team and win lots (maybe all) of games. Go UCONN women. Take back what belongs in Storrs.

Taking one game at a time, I too think this team may surprise fans similar to that of the last two teams. They overachieved until the very end. They ended up better (with no losses) that a lot of informed pundits predicted they would before play began, including many here in the yard.

I would be shocked, but pleasantly surprised if this team goes down to Waco, and beats a Baylor team that many feel is one of the best teams head coach Kim Mulkey has had in recent years. 6'7" senior Kalini Brown will pose a match up nightmare for all of their opponents including UConn this year. IF UConn is able to leave there with a win, it will immediately cast a different (and more favorable) perception and outlook for this team going forward. Baylor is ranked #3 (behind ND and Oregon) in the 2018-2019 ESPN preseason poll. UConn is #4. UConn is also an under dog when they visit Notre Dame in early December.

Fun fact - How many games are in the NCAA basketball regular season?
Now, let's play devil's advocate: Adding two conference games wouldn't increase the cap on how many games teams are allowed to play each regular season, which stands at 29—or 27 and a four-game tournament, for a total of 31.
As of .Jun 20, 2017

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Napheesa is a workout warrior. From what we’re hearing, Megan’s decision to hang out ( and work out) with Napheesa over the summer has paid off in several areas. In addition to the physical workouts, Napheesa undoubtedly mentored and poured into her during their down time. Sometimes students/athletes learn better/faster from peer mentors than adults.

If Megan has in fact made the anticipated jump, her offensive production will be welcomed as It will take some pressure off the BIG 3, who as Geno said is expected to do all of the heavy lifting.
I kept hearing how she was putting in a lot of work this summer. Napheesa said in the past that she needs more upper body strength so I was hoping that meant she would come in with Crystal Dangerfield type arms. However, it was Megan that came back looking like she lived in the weight room!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I kept hearing how she was putting in a lot of work this summer. Napheesa said in the past that she needs more upper body strength so I was hoping that meant she would come in with Crystal Dangerfield type arms. However, it was Megan that came back looking like she lived in the weight room!

Megan put in the work on the court with Napheesa, and put in the work in the gym with Barbara Turner. Megan did the work, and I can't wait to see her on the court.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Napheesa has a much bigger frame and much longer arms than Crystal, so the guns won't show nearly as well. I suspect she spent plenty of time in the weight room. I don't think she gets as open as she does, nor as many rebounds as she does without impressive upper-body strength.

Reaction Score
Napheesa has a much bigger frame and much longer arms than Crystal, so the guns won't show nearly as well. I suspect she spent plenty of time in the weight room. I don't think she gets as open as she does, nor as many rebounds as she does without impressive upper-body strength.
I guess I’ll just have to live with the disappointment that we didn’t get to see an arm wrestling competition at first night :D

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
You can significantly increase your overall strength without showing significant muscle development. You may look the same if you've replaced some baby fat with muscle.

Pheesa may have done so without getting the "guns" that CD has.

I did the same when I was in the Army. I never developed the "athletic taper". I replaced fat with muscle but overall I looked pretty much the same. Testing showed a 45-50% increase in strength, not to mention much better overall conditioning.

Reaction Score
Pheesa has been playing grown women for the last couple months before getting on campus. I'm not worried about her ability to play physical at this point.

Megan needs to have a breakout season. 13ppg, 7 rebounds would be great!!

Last edited:

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Walker showed flashes last season and I expect with more responsibility, she'll be quite the star this season. She'll have plenty of court time to continue to get better.

Reaction Score
Regarding Megan, hope she also worked on her lower body. While happy to see her strong arms, her issues have been related to foot, ankle, leg injuries. Great improvement on shooting last year, but have to feel her defense could improve if she wasn't in the trainer's room so much. Not sure who else we can rely on the shut down the many great guards UConn will face.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Regarding Megan, hope she also worked on her lower body. While happy to see her strong arms, her issues have been related to foot, ankle, leg injuries. Great improvement on shooting last year, but have to feel her defense could improve if she wasn't in the trainer's room so much. Not sure who else we can rely on the shut down the many great guards UConn will face.
If the starting lineup includes CW as we have heard, then Megan will almost certainly be matched up against an opposing big, similar to Gabby.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I am unaware of any injury history regarding Megan Walker. Does she spend an inordinate amount of time in the trainer's room? :confused:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am unaware of any injury history regarding Megan Walker. Does she spend an inordinate amount of time in the trainer's room? :confused:
Maybe HopJim meant Crystal?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom