UConn’s Vulnerability - Speed Up the Game | The Boneyard

UConn’s Vulnerability - Speed Up the Game

Reaction Score
Like most of you all, I have watched every game from start to finish and have rewatched a few as well. We talk a lot about the depth, the shooting and the defense and often wonder if we have any vulnerabilities and I think the answer is yes. Speed up the game on UConn and we struggle. Creighton marginalized the great depth on the floor by playing at a fast pace (and obviously playing out their ***). Looking forward to March it will be interesting to see if we get an Oklahoma or Florida State in our region.

Reaction Score
If we get Florida State in our region something would have gone catastrophically wrong with our season. They’re 14-13.

We didn’t lose to Creighton because they played fast. We lost because they tore up our half court defense and shot the hell out of the ball. The post above mine is a nice aphorism but it doesn’t really apply to the Creighton loss.

Reaction Score
It does seem our starters are plodders, or just don't play fast. However our bench is loaded with speed, making our transition to a faster pace smoother and confusing to opponents.

Watch how Diarria speeds up the opponent offensively/defensively. Solo, Samson and Stewart all add to our fast paced versatility. Sure its only in spurts but its a contribution that combats opponents speed.

To me this bench play is how we are wearing down our opponents (i.e. speeding up in spurts).

Reaction Score
I think a team would have a better shot slowing the game down and mucking it up and hoping the refs swallow their whistle. Between the defensive breakdowns and the scorching shooting, that game seemed more of an anomaly.

Reaction Score
If we get Florida State in our region something would have gone catastrophically wrong with our season. They’re 14-13.

We didn’t lose to Creighton because they played fast. We lost because they tore up our half court defense and shot the hell out of the ball. The post above mine is a nice aphorism but it doesn’t really apply to the Creighton loss.
I don’t care how fast they played, they had guys wide open from 3 which they knocked down. Is it too much to ask the defender to be up on those shooters? If our defense sagged into the paint to help out, or was screened out then the strategy needs changing once they start making everything.

Reaction Score
It does seem our starters are plodders, or just don't play fast. However our bench is loaded with speed, making our transition to a faster pace smoother and confusing to opponents.

Watch how Diarria speeds up the opponent offensively/defensively. Solo, Samson and Stewart all add to our fast paced versatility. Sure its only in spurts but its a contribution that combats opponents speed.

To me this bench play is how we are wearing down our opponents (i.e. speeding up in spurts).
Diarra is remarkably good at playing a sped up game. What a key piece to this team.

I also think that most teams in the ncaa mess up more when sped up.

Similarly, it seems that teams who like to run can demoralize you and tire you out but they are also prone to more turnovers simply by the nature of a full court game.

Reaction Score
I don’t care how fast they played, they had guys wide open from 3 which they knocked down. Is it too much to ask the defender to be up on those shooters? If our defense sagged into the paint to help out, or was screened out then the strategy needs changing once they start making everything.
Hurley said it was the worst defense he has seen from UConn in many years, he was shocked at the incredibly basic stuff they weren't doing.

I don't think that will happen again. It was just one of those games.

Reaction Score

They were not going to go undefeated the rest of the season. As much as people love to play the games on paper on this board, stuff happens. It's over.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Shooting 57% from behind the arch is a recipe for beating pretty much any team, including us. In our win against Marquette, they got an awful lot of good looks they just didn't sink them. Creighton did.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Speed up or slow down - shouldn't make a difference if your guards have decent lateral speed and play perimeter D
That was the Creighton game in a nutshell
Their 3 pt shooters were so wide open even I could hit those shots and if not open they moved past UConn's matador defense
Doubt we see it that bad again this season

Reaction Score
Shooting 57% from behind the arch is a recipe for beating pretty much any team, including us. In our win against Marquette, they got an awful lot of good looks they just didn't sink them. Creighton did.
Combine that with our less than stellar shooting too.

Reaction Score
Hurley said it was the worst defense he has seen from UConn in many years, he was shocked at the incredibly basic stuff they weren't doing.

I don't think that will happen again. It was just one of those games.
Agree, there was definitely various strategies involved including as others have mentioned (ie. simply one stopping the 3), but unquestionably the biggest problem was poor defense or lack of resiliency every facet of D. That happened when Creighton was deliberate in the half-court & when they pushed & quickly found the open man.

Reaction Score
The Creighton game was an outlier. In a season with three losses, we should expect an outlier and not make it into something more than just that. Its a long season and it feels like the team is a bit tired. Even last night, result aside, that felt more like our ”c” game than our “a” game. Fully expect the boys to reload this week and gear up for another March run.

Reaction Score
A lot of times, a Coach wouldn’t let his team watch or talk about a loss like Creighton. Just move on and do what you were coached to do.

Reaction Score
A lot of times, a Coach wouldn’t let his team watch or talk about a loss like Creighton. Just move on and do what you were coached to do.
I doubt DH would do that. It wasn't that bad. It was a conference loss on the road, and we made some mistakes. I would hope we watched it a few times to see the mistakes and correct them.

Reaction Score
We've played 3 games under 62 possessions. The Kansas loss, the Creighton loss, and the Villanova road 1 point win. The Seton Hall loss was exactly 62 possessions. Conversely we're 21-0 in games at 63 possessions or more, including North Carolina at 71 possessions and our domination of Xavier at 72 possessions.

The Creighton game was tied for the slowest game of the year.

I'm not sure your thesis holds water.

Reaction Score
Like most of you all, I have watched every game from start to finish and have rewatched a few as well. We talk a lot about the depth, the shooting and the defense and often wonder if we have any vulnerabilities and I think the answer is yes. Speed up the game on UConn and we struggle. Creighton marginalized the great depth on the floor by playing at a fast pace (and obviously playing out their ***). Looking forward to March it will be interesting to see if we get an Oklahoma or Florida State in our region.
FSU. Are they suing to make the tournament?

Reaction Score
I think the key to beating UConn is to contain Spenser and Karaban. They were both shut down in 2 of our losses. Spenser was hurt. Kansas had a guy who was a nightmare matchup for Karaban. Then of course shoot the lights out from 3. Many good teams have been beaten in the NCAA tournament by mid majors hoisting 3s and making them. I also wonder if a Princeton offense might give us trouble. Move the ball around then look for back door cuts and kick outs. I think you need to be very disciplined on defense, too. Make us take 28 seconds every time. Make Clingan and Stephon beat you. Newton will do Newtonian things, but if you force the other 2 to be his options, you have a chance.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Nope, shoot over 40% from 3, extend the man defense outside the 3pt line and force the guards to dribble past. Hope Clingan gets into foul trouble. and at least two of Karaban, Spencer, Newton and Castle have off shooting nights (<30%).

The one thing this team lacks over last season is a money in the bank low post scorer (Sanogo). Clingan is good but he isn't automatic outside 2 ft. Sanogo was money inside 10 ft.

At 80% this team is better than anyone and better than most at 70%. Don't throw a shoe at the wrong time and I like their chances but it will take a big, quick team of defenders and shooters to get it done.

Nova did a decent job on everyone except Spencer but wasn't nearly good enough on offense to win that game.

Reaction Score
Spenser
Baby Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
We've played 3 games under 62 possessions. The Kansas loss, the Creighton loss, and the Villanova road 1 point win. The Seton Hall loss was exactly 62 possessions. Conversely we're 21-0 in games at 63 possessions or more, including North Carolina at 71 possessions and our domination of Xavier at 72 possessions.

The Creighton game was tied for the slowest game of the year.

I'm not sure your thesis holds water.
If you’re going to refute opinions with actual facts ….

Reaction Score
Fsu might be on the nit bubble? The fast team is Alabama and thise teams play no defense. Hope they are in our bracket, will be an easy win

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom