UConn’s Crystal Dangerfield projected to be taken fifth by Phoenix in AP WNBA mock draft | The Boneyard

UConn’s Crystal Dangerfield projected to be taken fifth by Phoenix in AP WNBA mock draft

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know it’s way too early to start thinking about the WNBA draft in April. We've got fish in the pan cooking RIGHT NOW that we need to concentrate on. However I saw this article in the Courant today and thought I’d share.

The Associated Press polled a panel of WNBA coaches and general managers for a mock draft of the first two rounds this spring. Obviously, a lot can change between now and draft day, as far as team needs go, with a new collective bargaining agreement being worked on, and free agency set to begin on Feb. 1.

1577816488481.png

Panelists were limited to college seniors and eligible foreign players, and they could not offer a pick for their own team. This version projects UConn point guard Crystal Dangerfield as the heir apparent to Diana Taurasi in Phoenix. The AP will periodically update the draft board.

First Round:
1. New York: Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon. The Liberty need a point guard and no one has been better in her college career than Sabrina Ionescu the past four seasons. The NCAA record holder in triple-doubles will be a great fit in New York.

There's no mystery who the Liberty will draft. Ionescu (the front-runner for NPOY) is bound for the BIG apple. ;)

[The rest of the story]

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Quite a weak senior draft. Imagine a few juniors and internationals will leak in

Specific Crystal Blurb

5. Phoenix: Crystal Dangerfield, UConn. A solid leader and point guard who could give some youth to that position for the Mercury.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen Martin (West Virginia) projected that highly in other mock drafts. I understand that she is very talented, but haven't had an opportunity to watch her as yet.

Samuels (Seton Hall) is also higher on this list than in other previous mock draft boards that I have seen.

Moore (Oregon) is noted for the scoring in the brief analysis that she will add to her team at the pro level. She is a heady player, good defender, and willing passer. I think any consistent outside shooting and scoring from her would be a bonus. UConn fans will get a chance to see her in person. Avoid fouling Moore because she is skilled at drawing fouls and is a solid free throw shooter.

Reaction Score
Where is Kiah Gillespie. She is #5 in Draft Site. Did Brenda Freese do this poll?

Reaction Score
Where is Kiah Gillespie. She is #5 in Draft Site. Did Brenda Freese do this poll?
Gillespie was somehow omitted from the top 24 projections listed for the AP. I have typically seen her anywhere from 10 to 15 in most mock drafts. The #5 projection on Draftsite.com was the highest that I seen Gillespie projected in any mock draft thus far.

Reaction Score
Gillespie and Oregon State's Destiny Slocum both have a chance of playing in the WNBA after having started their collegiate careers at Maryland under Frese and finding success elsewhere after transferring,

Gillespie averaged only 4.1 points per game as a sophomore at Maryland, a squad that was very talented. Both Gillespie and Slocum have been listed as potential 2020 first round draft picks in certain mock drafts.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Gillespie sure blossomed nicely. I remember when she was a senior, contemplating where to commit. Does anyone know if UConn offered her?

Reaction Score
Gillespie sure blossomed nicely. I remember when she was a senior, contemplating where to commit. Does anyone know if UConn offered her?
According to articles, UConn had not offered Gillispie by the time she committed to Maryland in August 2014.

Carnac

Reaction Score
According to articles, UConn had not offered Gillispie by the time she committed to Maryland in August 2014.

I didn’t think she was offered, thanks.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom