UConn’s Bench as a Starting WCBB Team | The Boneyard

UConn’s Bench as a Starting WCBB Team

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I was at the game and saw the UConn bench play together for 5 minutes at the end of the first quarter while Geno was “suggesting” to the starters that they ought to play hard. (By the way, to my eyes the starters were playing hard in the first 5 minutes of the game, but they certainly weren’t playing aggressive defense as they did in the last three quarters and as Geno had probably game-planned for them to do.)

Watching those 5 minutes of bench play led me to this conclusion: If those 5 players were someone else’s starting 5, and were backed up by an appropriate bench of their own, I think they would be a good team in WCBB — probably on the bubble of being a Top 25 team. They have 3 very talented but raw players: ONO, Batouly, and Mikayla. And they have two less talented but very seasoned and savvy players who know the offense and the defensive expectations: Kyla and Molly. They play hard. They have reasonable size (6-4, 6-2, and 6-2 in the front court), and they have speed and energy in the back court. They are in excellent physical shape to play 30+ minutes each.

I think that if Geno had started in October with these 5 as his starters (i.e., if the actual starters this year were not on the team for whatever reason), and they had the same kind of bench as you find on most WCBB teams, I think that they could finish 2nd or 3rd in the AAC and make the NCAA tournament as an 8th, 9th, or 10th seed.

Obviously, these five players aren’t as a good as they would be if they were being coached like starters and getting starters’ minutes. But it would be interesting to see how good they could be if they were.

Reaction Score
UConn was an average AAC team in the 1st half, both with the starters and without. That's nothing to write home out, and is not even top 50. Possibly not top 100.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I think that you are giving them too much credit based on one decent performance. For the rest of the year the bench has been dependable. They can be depended upon to exhibit zero offense.

Lets wait and see how they perform over the next half dozen games.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and saw the UConn bench play together for 5 minutes at the end of the first quarter while Geno was “suggesting” to the starters that they ought to play hard. (By the way, to my eyes the starters were playing hard in the first 5 minutes of the game, but they certainly weren’t playing aggressive defense as they did in the last three quarters and as Geno had probably game-planned for them to do.)

Watching those 5 minutes of bench play led me to this conclusion: If those 5 players were someone else’s starting 5, and were backed up by an appropriate bench of their own, I think they would be a good team in WCBB — probably on the bubble of being a Top 25 team. They have 3 very talented but raw players: ONO, Batouly, and Mikayla. And they have two less talented but very seasoned and savvy players who know the offense and the defensive expectations: Kyla and Molly. They play hard. They have reasonable size (6-4, 6-2, and 6-2 in the front court), and they have speed and energy in the back court. They are in excellent physical shape to play 30+ minutes each.

I think that if Geno had started in October with these 5 as his starters (i.e., if the actual starters this year were not on the team for whatever reason), and they had the same kind of bench as you find on most WCBB teams, I think that they could finish 2nd or 3rd in the AAC and make the NCAA tournament as an 8th, 9th, or 10th seed.

Obviously, these five players aren’t as a good as they would be if they were being coached like starters and getting starters’ minutes. But it would be interesting to see how good they could be if they were.

You're going to get your wish next season with a few additions.................it's certainly going to be interesting to say the least..............

Reaction Score

I just don't see it. The USF team they played has nothing. Other than Camara, they'd all be looking to set a record for most passes per possession and at least 2 would foul out in a first half if they played the full time. JMO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're going to get your wish next season with a few additions.......it's certainly going to be interesting to say the least....
You are right. From my less than knowledgable vantage point--only one addition and 2 subtractions on the team next year, unless something not seen is in the cards.
I'm trying to be positive with a negative situation. But as we speak of next season---?????

Reaction Score

I agree the bench gave Uconn 5 good minutes. I'm trying hard to be a cheerleader for all 10. Negative words, while some may be true, do the kids or fans nothing good. I have watched Geno in some bad years in press conference: what he SAYs is pretty much what he has said in the past--his pressers in losses are not much different than previous loss pressers.
Having said that: His physical and mental/emotional being is showing extreme stress. He is trying to explain why a team of 3 experienced (, 2 with no or minimal experience and 5 others who cannot provide real relief,) aren't more successful. If one or 2 emerge by March he'll be in a great position, regardless of losses. If CW jumps into high gear ala Stewie the results could be good. But I doubt he sees that happening--

Reaction Score
I can not understand the attention being paid to UConns or any other teams bench. The bench is irrelevant. It should be obvious to everyone that teams just do not utilize benches anymore. Each player, in fact, always sits on their own individual chair.

Reaction Score

I think the bench has demonstrated continuing improvement. In last night's physical rumble with Tulane they all more than held their own. I've enjoyed getting to tsee them play more lately!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom