UCLA's Josh Rosen: "Football And School Don't Go Together" | The Boneyard

UCLA's Josh Rosen: "Football And School Don't Go Together"

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Rosen says football and school 'don't go together'

UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen apparently isn't too fond of the term student-athlete and says football and school "don't go together."

Rosen made the comments during a question and answer session with Bleacher Report.

Rosen was asked about the reality of being a student-athlete that plays at a major university.

"Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs. There are guys who have no business being in school, but they’re here because this is the path to the NFL. There’s no other way. Then there’s the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements," Rosen said. "OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes and then the product on the field suffers.

Rosen also said that "human beings don't belong in school with our schedules."

"No one in their right mind should have a football player's schedule, and go to school," Rosen adds."It's not that some players shouldn't be in school; it's just that universities should help them more—instead of just finding ways to keep them eligible.

When asked how some guys graduate in three years like former Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson, Rosen said:

"I'm not knocking what those guys accomplished. They should be applauded for that. But certain schools are easier than others."

Reaction Score
He rips Alabama and Clemson. I wonder if this kid knows that Clemson is a really good school.

Alabama, Auburn and virtually all of the SEC schools are more like WVU and Louisville.

Rosen says football and school 'don't go together'

UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen apparently isn't too fond of the term student-athlete and says football and school "don't go together."

Rosen made the comments during a question and answer session with Bleacher Report.

Rosen was asked about the reality of being a student-athlete that plays at a major university.

"Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs. There are guys who have no business being in school, but they’re here because this is the path to the NFL. There’s no other way. Then there’s the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements," Rosen said. "OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes and then the product on the field suffers.

Rosen also said that "human beings don't belong in school with our schedules."

"No one in their right mind should have a football player's schedule, and go to school," Rosen adds."It's not that some players shouldn't be in school; it's just that universities should help them more—instead of just finding ways to keep them eligible.

When asked how some guys graduate in three years like former Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson, Rosen said:

"I'm not knocking what those guys accomplished. They should be applauded for that. But certain schools are easier than others."

Reaction Score
He rips Alabama and Clemson. I wonder if this kid knows that Clemson is a really good school.

Alabama, Auburn and virtually all of the SEC schools are more like WVU and Louisville.

None of what you said here is true.

Reaction Score
Based on what facts/metrics?

Well most simply we can base it off of the US News and World Repot rankings.

If you want to go more indepth, look at how competitive they are to get into; things such as acceptance rate, incoming freshman SAT/ACT scores, validictorians etc etc.

Reaction Score

If you want to go more indepth, look at how competitive they are to get into; things such as acceptance rate, incoming freshman SAT/ACT scores, validictorians etc etc.

You mean the one that shows Clemson @ #66 Nationally and UConn @ #60?

Reaction Score

USNAWR rankings:

Vandy #15

UF #50

UGA #56

Bama #101 (I will admit I thought Bama was more around 80)

UConn is #60 and Clemson is #66 (which is higher than I thought, I basically flipped Clemson and Bama in my head).

Reaction Score
So I take back what I said about Clemson (sorry, Clemson).

But those SEC schools demand an apology for being compared to Louisville and WVU

Reaction Score
When I was in the accounting program at UConn, there was one football player that was also in that program. He told me about his schedule and I was downright floored at how he could even maintain passing grades in what was a difficult program not meant to pump out the athletes.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Reminds me of BD's comments that we don't want guys who love math more than they love football--I think the quote came as Jefferson Ashiru was leaving the program. It's the truth--players are guided towards BS majors in BS programs (and I'm not saying bachelors of science), and yet such a slim margin of them will make any decent money in the NFL. Then we get folks arguing that pay for play is nonsense because the players already earn a college degree for free. Problem is, they don't even get a real college education 9 times out of 10. It's all a front.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The rest of the world doesn't train soon-to-be professional athletes at universities, because really, when you step back and think about it, it's a really *****' stupid system.

Sure is. The kid is right.

The whole system amounts to this. We pay a lot of money and spend a lot of time watching minor league professional athletes because they wear uniforms adorned with schools that we went to or have some affection for. Turn them into the minor league pro athletes that they are, and nobody would be interested.

Last edited:

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

The whole system amounts to this. We pay a lot of money and spend a lot of time watching minor league professional athletes because they were uniforms adorned with schools that we went to or have some affection for. Turn them into the minor league pro athletes that they are, and nobody would be interested.
yup

Reaction Score
welp, guess we can just pack up the boneyard and go home!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

The whole system amounts to this. We pay a lot of money and spend a lot of time watching minor league professional athletes because they wear uniforms adorned with schools that we went to or have some affection for. Turn them into the minor league pro athletes that they are, and nobody would be interested.

It's for this exact reason that I never belittled a student athlete for choosing to be a "general studies" major (or whatever the generic equivalent is nowadays). Their major is their sport. If I can get 1 credit for taking a semester of a sport, they should be able to get 120 credits for doing it on the highest level for 4 years straight.

Kudos to those student athletes who can succeed in both the classroom and on the field, but the system itself is a stupid system propagated by the NCAA pimps. Meanwhile, in UNC's fake classroom, there are some great academic discussions happening... ;)

Reaction Score

You don't tune in every night to watch the D-League (I guess G-league now)?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

The SEC itself has higher eligibility requirements than the Big12, ACC, or AAC. The SEC requirements are tougher than the regular NCAA requirements, but that doesn't fit any narrative.

Reaction Score
Funny, college football pretty much is self defining in its purpose and relationship to education. But for school brand identity which carries its own market awareness and value, the kid would be playing for the Hartford Knights before a crowd of 300 people on a crappy field getting knee capped and wondering why and how it is worth it. The kid looks a gift horse in the mouth. Everything is so cynical and little thought is given to what these student athletes get: 1) an education for free, 2) a built in fan base and national stage to showcase their talent, 3) great facilities with top notch medical care, 4) high quality referees, 5) better food and nutrition than many every had in their life, and 6) a chance, no matter how slim, to make it to the pros. In an amateur league, they would getting nothing close to it because the economics wouldn't allow for it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The SEC itself has higher eligibility requirements than the Big12, ACC, or AAC. The SEC requirements are tougher than the regular NCAA requirements, but that doesn't fit any narrative.

Shhh...people in the Northeast assume everyone in the south is Dumb. The SEC is not a bad academic league, and has gotten better over the years. Bama has a pretty good med and law school I believe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom