UCLA's Focus and Grit | The Boneyard

UCLA's Focus and Grit

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UCLA accepts No. 1 UConn challenge with focus and grit

"UCLA heeds the advice of its sports psychologist: Talk to yourself, don’t listen to yourself. Talk to yourself about what’s important so you don’t listen to others about what’s not.

“We’ve been doing it all year long,” guard Jordin Canada said. “It doesn’t matter who we’re playing, it’s all about how we can get better and how we can grow. We’re not really worried about what they’re going to do. We’re worried about what we’re going to do.”

Hey, its LA, off course they have a shrink, doesn't everyone?

Reaction Score
Well, if they really play the way they are thinking and talking, it will be a good game! I hope so.

Reaction Score
Geno " if you play your A game and we play our A game. You don't have a chance".

Did he really say this?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno " if you play your A game and we play our A game. You don't have a chance".

Did he really say this?

Pretty much. Do you recall the NCAA promo withhim sitting on a couch, laughing evilly, and saying something like "...I lied, now that we're here we might as well win it all." (more maniacle laughter, fade to black).

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Per UCLA: "However, defensive rebounding continued to be an issue. The Aggies had 18 offensive boards two nights after the Broncos grabbed 22." If they give us that many O boards... we had better win, my goodness. Then again... we don't really miss a whole lot.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
More than any team I can remember, we almost always get good shots in our offense and if we play confident, we will make them. I have not seen a defense this year that really changes that (Baylor came closest I think which I attribute to a lack of familiarity among our players and their physicality). That puts so much pressure on the other team Head bang to match scores that it is always an uphill battle. Add that our defensive level is always good gives us a great advantage. Unfortunately, if foul trouble occurs, we are vulnerable. :(

I am just very happy :) I can make it up to Bridgeport tomorrow and see both games. In previous years in this venue, I have been very lucky seeing the decapitations of Mississippi St. and Texas first hand. Keeping fingers crossed. :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Per UCLA: "However, defensive rebounding continued to be an issue. The Aggies had 18 offensive boards two nights after the Broncos grabbed 22." If they give us that many O boards... we had better win, my goodness. Then again... we don't really miss a whole lot.

I, there's the rub, matey! What a problem to have, huh.

Reaction Score
I expect a tough game from UCLA..........they seem to be a pretty calm bunch, it will be interesting to see how they handle the moment

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

Did he really say this?

I don't know if he's said it about this year's team, but, he's certainly expressed a similar message in the past. When he's got a 2002 or a 2016 sort of team - loaded with veteran, All-American players - he, basically, lays the gauntlet down to his seniors - "if you guys play to your ability..." we won't lose. So, it's up to you guys to simply do what you are capable of.

Reaction Score
I have seen many instances over the years where you can see opposing players talking to themselves but it is most often after they have played us.

Incidentally, I often talk to myself but my wife says its senility.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I expect a tough game from UCLA.....they seem to be a pretty calm bunch, it will be interesting to see how they handle the moment

UCLA is a decent team, but not a team that can beat UConn. There are only 2 teams remaining in the field that have a snow ball's chance of beating UConn. UCLA is not one of them!! :cool:

Reaction Score
At the end of the UCLA article they have game listed at 11:00am. On my ch guide UConn vs UCLA at 1:30pm, which is correct time?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
At the end of the UCLA article they have game listed at 11:00am. On my ch guide UConn vs UCLA at 1:30pm, which is correct time?

Much of the difference may be Pacific time vs. Eastern time. That would account for most of the discrepancy.

Reaction Score
UCLA is a decent team, but not a team that can beat UConn. There are only 2 teams remaining in the field that have a snow ball's chance of beating UConn. UCLA is not one of them!! :cool:

I feel better now all seeing one!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
BTW doesn't "focus and grit" sound like the title of a U2 tune?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Looking at their schedule their best wins would be Washington & Stanford in February and then Oregon State in January. However, these are teams they are familiar with playing the multiple times in the same conference. As far as the national landscape there isn't much to look at. Should be very interesting.

Reaction Score
UCLA is saying all the right things. Cori Close and her staff watched three UConn practices in October. Give her credit; she took Geno up on his offer. How many other coaches have? If you want to be the best, learn from the best. Simple. It's one thing to say the right things. it's another thing to do the right things. Hope it's a great game. Go UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom