UCLA v. UConn on ESPNU? | The Boneyard

UCLA v. UConn on ESPNU?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Seems odd to me that such a high ranking game is going to be on "The U". Oh well, that's why I pay for an enhanced sports package.

Reaction Score
Seems odd to me that such a high ranking game is going to be on "The U". Oh well, that's why I pay for an enhanced sports package.
It's listed on ESPN Watch; 10:30.

psconn

Reaction Score
Probably because it's being played in the middle of the night.

That's another thing I find odd. When motivated, ESPN can usually negotiate an earlier start time for marquee matchups. Even 60 to 90 minutes would make a significant difference. Did they not recognize the potential of the game?

Reaction Score
Sonny, I double checked listing after your comment and the game is listed for 10:30, but it is still ESPN U.

Reaction Score
This is a tough one for us who wait for the ESPN3 replay an hour or so after the game ends :( It probably means I''ll wake and watch it starting about 0400 EST

psconn

Reaction Score
This is a tough one for us who wait for the ESPN3 replay an hour or so after the game ends :( It probably means I''ll wake and watch it starting about 0400 EST

Can't you watch it live on WatchESPN (ESPN3)? I know I've done that in the past.

Reaction Score
If you check the listing, ESPN3 is not available for this game.

Reaction Score
Hopefully this game turns out a little better than the last one we played in this late night time slot.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The game will be available live on ESPN3 if you have a subscription that includes ESPNU.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If you check the listing, ESPN3 is not available for this game.
I know that this has been discussed in a couple other threads already this season but I thought that any game that is being broadcast live on any ESPN or ESPN affiliate (SEC Network, SNY), then it will also be live on the WatchESPN app, ESPN3, etc. Of course, we have also learned that it can be blacked out on ESPN3, which totally blows my mind.

Reaction Score
I think Uconncat has a good point. I personally do not subscribe to ESPN U. Hence, I am shut out.

Reaction Score
UCLA probably figured that the later the start time the more to their advantage. 10:30 eastern would almost be the UConn players bed time. Or perhaps ESPN didn't want to adjust the time slot because it would require preempting a previously scheduled car racing video tape. Well, on the plus side for me, ESPNU works out better because I can DVR it. You can't do that with ESPN3. But it sucks for those on the East coast and who don't have " U".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UCLA probably figured that the later the start time the more to their advantage. 10:30 eastern would almost be the UConn players bed time. Or perhaps ESPN didn't want to adjust the time slot because it would require preempting a previously scheduled car racing video tape. Well, on the plus side for me, ESPNU works out better because I can DVR it. You can't do that with ESPN3. But it sucks for those on the East coast and who don't have " U".
A lot of their weeknight home games are at 8:00 (PST), so they are starting this one a little early.

Reaction Score
A lot of their weeknight home games are at 8:00 (PST), so they are starting this one a little early.
Have to think if ESPN offered a national telecast on their main channel they would have played whenever ESPN wanted them to. ESPN could have offered a 9 PM prime time slot.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Have to think if ESPN offered a national telecast on their main channel they would have played whenever ESPN wanted them to. ESPN could have offered a 9 PM prime time slot.
Maybe, but I suppose they want to fill up the building too. 6 PM in LA, I think most people are still on the highways. :oops:

Reaction Score
It's good to be on the West Coast.. and to have ESPNU as part of my regular cable package. I'll eat dinner, and then sit back with a few beers and watch our gals.... and still go to bed at a normal hour. :)

Reaction Score
All of the ESPN channels are pretty much booked up with the men's holiday tournaments, such as the Maui Invitational. Unfortunately those are still a much bigger ratings driver for them than a women's basketball game. Apparently there are people who would rather watch mediocre LSU take on DII Chaminade than two of the top women's teams in the country. I am not one of them.

Reaction Score
Re: live watching on ESPNx. Uh...it should be so simple. FYI, my situation is:

My Internet provider is Frontier. I don't pay for broadcast via cable/sat etc. (Use Roku, Amazon Prime, etc). In this geo/area Frontier provides ESPN3 as part of the base Internet service (and probably does this across the country), BUTT here I can't get THESE games live as part of the base...I do get many others live. I also get UConn on ESPN3 replay. IIRC, this is because we're in the blackout area (NE-PA) about 220miles/ 4 hour drive to Storrs (!!). AFAIK games are available via live streaming on ESPN3 for many with ESPNx/sports packages including others via Frontier or via another provider.

I'm glad I get the replays at all. It really isn't bad if I carefully avoid listening to results (or reading the BY) before watching with few interruptions at my convenience. This is usually within an hour after the game's end... except in situations like this UCLA game with a too late start meaning first availability to me about 0100. O prefer getting some shut eye first then watching circa 0400.

On the plus side, I can re-watch it and most other games many times if I like.

In any case, it should be a very interesting game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sigh! All this strum and drang. This is why I never cut the cable (GOT and Westworld not withstanding). With Spectrum I get every UConn game plus various replays from SNY. Yep, I record them all and rewatch at my leisure, although when they're posted I do download the replays in order to watch on my PC at my leisure. Those of you who are shut out because of regional issues I feel for. But those of you who cut the cord for non financial issues, sorry, I'm fresh out of sympathy. Catch as catch can.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom