UCLA loses to Kent state | The Boneyard

UCLA loses to Kent state

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Two (7 Stanford & 19 UCLA) top 25 teams going down in flams on the same day. :eek: Yesterday two more top 5 teams lost. 2 Maryland & 4 Indiana. Coach Vince Lombardi, what do you have to say about these 4 top 20 teams losing to lower/unranked teams?........... Heh heh heh. :cool: It looks like UConn is NOT the only top 10 ranked team to suffer woe. At least we lost to the #1 team in the country.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Two (7 Stanford & 19 UCLA) top 25 teams going down in flams on the same day. :eek: Yesterday two more top 5 teams lost. 2 Maryland & 4 Indiana. Coach Vince Lombardi, what do you have to say about these 4 top 20 teams losing to lower/unranked teams?........... Heh heh heh. :cool:

Actually THREE (Stanford, UCLA, and (24) Virginia Tech.

Reaction Score
These upsets are a great sign for the growth of WCB. It won’t be easy for SC to go undefeated in their conference. Maybe we will finally see a a tourney this year with a couple of low seeded Cinderellas.

Reaction Score
South Carolina doesn't look unbeatable by any stretch of the imagination.
I dunno so far there seems to be a pretty healthy gap between them and everyone else. If we're the #2 team in the country, they are at least 16 points better than everyone else.

Orc

Reaction Score
I dunno so far there seems to be a pretty healthy gap between them and everyone else. If we're the #2 team in the country, they are at least 16 points better than everyone else.
They have so many weapons every position. They have no weak spot. Reminds of the stewie years

Reaction Score
Two (7 Stanford & 19 UCLA) top 25 teams going down in flams on the same day. :eek: Yesterday two more top 5 teams lost. 2 Maryland & 4 Indiana. Coach Vince Lombardi, what do you have to say about these 4 top 20 teams losing to lower/unranked teams?........... Heh heh heh. :cool: It looks like UConn is NOT the only top 10 ranked team to suffer woe. At least we lost to the #1 team in the country.

Great examples of why Nov. and Dec. rankings are a waste of time.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I dont think they're unbeatable but they look like the clear cut #1 right now. So much quality post depth and really solid guard play. Henderson and Cooke both look a lot more mature and Boston appears to be on a mission this year after the way last season ended.

Reaction Score
I dont think they're unbeatable but they look like the clear cut #1 right now. So much quality post depth and really solid guard play. Henderson and Cooke both look a lot more mature and Boston appears to be on a mission this year after the way last season ended.
Yeah not to mention they lost the 2nd best player from the 2021 class (Johnson). Just an absolutely loaded team.

Reaction Score
Where are those 5 people that still think Cori Close is a good coach?
@DefenseBB you tracking this?
Still here. I still think that Coach Cori is a good coach.

Not gonna win too many games shooting 35% from the field and 35% from 3 point land while the other team shooting 50%/52%

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Where are those 5 people that still think Cori Close is a good coach?
@DefenseBB you tracking this?
Actually,‘I was watching this game and it was bemusing to see and hear the announcers come up with the excuses. Close, as I have reiterated numerous times back to you is NOT a good X’s and O’s Coach but she has recruited (#1 criteria for a top team) and has made UCLA relevant through her program management (another key issue).
That said, she is much like her mentor Sue Samrau who is also used to getting talent and underachieving hence the Seminoles loss yesterday. In the PAC12, Cori is still better than Gottlieb, JR Payne, Lynne Roberts, Tina Langley, Charlene Smith and at this point also better than Charlie Turner-Thorne. While Cami Etheridge started last year very well, WSU did not finish well and still lacks any gravitas.
While @Plebe and the announcers had noted that UCLA on had 8 healthy bodies, the real issue is Thomas, as their best player right now is so woefully out of shape, she can’t handle the pace and minutes required.
As I watch this SDSU-UCLA game now, with SDSU winning by 6 at the half, 37-31, the lack of discipline on offense by UCLA is apparent.
I will reiterate again to you that I NEVER said close was a great coach, she was 215-110 with 115-63 in PAC12 and has 5 straight NCAAT appearances (would have been 7 if 2020 was held. That is better than “mediocre”’
But yes, I am also highly bemused at her lack of “ coaching up” the talent she gets. Kiki Rice will not achieve the level of improvement as a Bruin as she thinks.

Reaction Score
Serg, my spider sense tells me there will be more losses by top 25 teams this weekend. We're not done yet.
It would seem that more Top 25 teams are playing each other earlier in the season than ever before. That may be the one (and only) plus that last year's CoViD scheduling craziness has had on the OOC scheduling...

Carnac

Reaction Score
It would seem that more Top 25 teams are playing each other earlier in the season than ever before. That may be the one (and only) plus that last year's CoViD scheduling craziness has had on the OOC scheduling...
I’m liking these early season match ups between top ranked teams. It allows us to get a realistic and accurate look at the elite teams against teams their equal. I wish there were more televised games featuring those elites.

Carnac

Reaction Score
These upsets are a great sign for the growth of WCB. It won’t be easy for SC to go undefeated in their conference. Maybe we will finally see a a tourney this year with a couple of low seeded Cinderellas.
Keep an eye on Texas and Duke.

Carnac

Reaction Score
UCLA lost again today to UNRANKED South Dakota State 76-66. Again, ranked teams are losing BIG TIME to lower and unranked teams with no shame. #17 Florida State to unranked Purdue, #24 West Virginia to unranked Purdue, #2 Maryland (6-2) lost again (back to back) to #7 Stanford (5-2) 86-67.

Later today: Okla St. vs 11 Tennessee and Notre Dame @ 16 Oregon St. Should be two interesting games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCLA lost again today to UNRANKED South Dakota State 76-66. Again, ranked teams are losing BIG TIME to lower and unranked teams with no shame. #17 Florida State to unranked Purdue, #24 West Virginia to unranked Purdue, #2 Maryland (6-2) lost again (back to back) to #7 Stanford (5-2) 86-67.

Later today: Okla St. vs 11 Tennessee and Notre Dame @ 16 Oregon St. Should be two interesting games.
#24 West Virginia lost to unranked BYU 58-57, not Purdue ;) .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom