UCF in Big East Western Division? | The Boneyard

UCF in Big East Western Division?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per BigEastCoastBias, if BYU signs on and the dominoes fall, it looks like UCF's invite might be to the Big East's western division. Apparently, neither Cinci nor Louisville wants to get bumped to a western division (which is understandable). The divisions would shape up as follows:

EAST: UConn, Rutgers, Cinci, Louisville, USF, Navy
WEST: Boise St, BYU, Houston, SMU, UCF, Air Force

Of course it's ridiculous to have USF and UCF in different conferences because they are less than 2 hours apart and are natural rivals, so the Big East would make them "permanent rivals" that play each other annually. Sounds good, except of course it would convert inter-divisional scheduling from a simple every-other-year formula into something that makes my head hurt.

That said, I actually like this potential alignment. It keeps the remaining core of the Big East together and I think it's worth the schedule disruption to make USF-UCF permanent rivals. And at that point, the Big East simply has to make Air Force and Navy permanent rivals as well. That would give every team in the new Big East a clear annual rivalry game: UConn-Rutgers, Cinci-L'Ville, USF-UCF, Navy-, Boise-BYU, and SMU-Houston. Really hoping this becomes reality by the end of the week.
Story on BigEastCoastBias.com

UPDATE: Yeah, so I somehow missed WestCoastHusky's post on the exact same topic and now I can't seem to delete this thread. I clearly just need to execute better.

Reaction Score
If this happens it will further prove how inept the Big East is. Why not just send Navy to the western division? Then you dont have to worry about permanent crossovers. It would ensure that the Eastern schools go to FL every year and the Western schools go to TX. Navy schedules nationally anyway and does not really have a rivalry with any of the current Big East school, so they should be receptive to the idea.

East: UConn, RU, UC, UL, USF, UCF
West: SMU, UH, BYU, BSU, AFA, Navy

Reaction Score
Agree that the scheduling would make a hell of a lot more sense if Navy was in the West. Navy is crucial to making the new Big East come together though, and I can't see them going along with it. UCF, on the other hand, desperately wants in and is certainly in no position to put up a fuss given its pending sanctions.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Permanent rivalries only works from a scheduling standpoint if the permanent rivals are in different divisions. USF-UCF and Navy - AFA certainly make sense. But for scheduling you'd pretty much have to begin developing a permanent rival across divisions like Conn - Houston; Louisville - BYU; Cincy - Boise; Rutgers - SMU. Not saying it couldn't work, just saying...

Interesting also that with this lineup and the four football-onlies, that makes a 16 team basketball league. Again, could set up east and west with everyone playing home and home in division and four others each year rotating those four every year.

I like this actually. And the best thing is that football conferences are not static in their strength. Sure the SEC is the strongest now, but it wasn't always that way. Miami used to be a major power, now not so much. Over time, the ebb and flow will catch up to all of them eventually.

Reaction Score
I imagine that UCF would have agreed to play its home games in the Lesser Antilles if that was the price to pay for admission to the Big East. So if Navy, Cincy and Louisville all balked at going west for various reasons, they were the logical choice. I actually think Navy makes the most sense in the East anyway. As to cross divisional rivalries, with the exception of Navy Airforce, they are merely schedulaing arrangements most of th etime anyway. Rivalries aren't made by league offices. They are made on the field. If that weren't the case, we wouldn't be able to wait for Michigan State-Penn State, or of course the Leather Helmet Game (BC-Clemson).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom