UCF Fiesta Bowl Tickets Sales | The Boneyard

UCF Fiesta Bowl Tickets Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I've heard the other three bowls are selling well, even if MSU fans found a way to jump to the front of Stanford's distribution list.

The Orange Bowl is doing well as is the Sugar (OU is doing well though I have no idea how Bama is doing).

Save for UCF and Stanford, it's all really big names that travel well.

Reaction Score
At some point these bowls really need to change the way they do things. I know when UConn made the Fiesta Bowl someone could get 2 tickets to the game, a parking pass and passes to pregame parties through Stub Hub for less then what 1 ticket cost through the school. Why would anyone in their right mind not take advantage of the much cheaper option?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Two replies to you...
SkyHawk09
5ptsFeatured3 minutes ago
The game is on the other side of the country. Would you really pay a thousand dollars to go watch a football game? I sure wouldn't.
50.jpg

Peanut Allergy
5ptsFeatured1 minute ago
Excuses, excuses, excuses.
The problem is that schools try to make money on the bowl game packages as well, when they are reasonably sure that they will have to dip into the conference's bowl allowance anyway. Classic cutting off your nose to spite your face mentality.

Reaction Score
And of course UCF's distance to travel is double just about every other school in a BCS bowl, save MSU - who has known they'd play in the Rose Bowl for weeks now (and the Rose Bowl draw is much bigger than the Fiesta.)

I've always felt the Fiesta was far and away the worst of the BCS bowls in terms of the desirability of the destination, location of the stadium within the city, lore of the event, etc. It's a distant fourth behind the Sugar and Orange, and miles behind the Rose. Is anyone itching to go to Phoenix for a few days? Much less then have to drive 20 miles into the suburbs. Give someone a choice of a vacation in New Orleans, Miami, LA, or Phoenix, you won't get too many who pick Phoenix first. That was what worked against us when we were there, in addition to the distance, and what's working against any east coast team that gets slotted there. Not to mention that the Fiesta Bowl is kind of a BCS bowl in name only

Husky25

Reaction Score
And of course UCF's distance to travel is double just about every other school in a BCS bowl, save MSU - who has known they'd play in the Rose Bowl for weeks now (and the Rose Bowl draw is much bigger than the Fiesta.)

I've always felt the Fiesta was far and away the worst of the BCS bowls in terms of the desirability of the destination, location of the stadium within the city, lore of the event, etc. It's a distant fourth behind the Sugar and Orange, and miles behind the Rose. Is anyone itching to go to Phoenix for a few days? Much less then have to drive 20 miles into the suburbs. Give someone a choice of a vacation in New Orleans, Miami, LA, or Phoenix, you won't get too many who pick Phoenix first. That was what worked against us when we were there, in addition to the distance, and what's working against any east coast team that gets slotted there. Not to mention that the Fiesta Bowl is kind of a BCS bowl in name only

The Fiesta Bowl was created to pit non-PAC 10 champions in the west against one another. It was never meant to attract an east coast team. Secondly, it cheated its way to stay in the BCS. It should not even have a seat at the table. After the 2009 scandal, their BSC membership should have been stripped (or permanently forfeited) and reassigned. #3 The NCAA and the BCS/P5/whateveryouwanttocallthem will always come out with these Nelson-style stories that spin statistics and omit pertinent information to denigrate the rest of Division 1 college football, when half of their own membership cannot regularly compete with the rest.

Reaction Score
Two replies to you...
SkyHawk09
5ptsFeatured3 minutes ago
The game is on the other side of the country. Would you really pay a thousand dollars to go watch a football game? I sure wouldn't.
50.jpg

Peanut Allergy
5ptsFeatured1 minute ago
Excuses, excuses, excuses.
The problem is that schools try to make money on the bowl game packages as well, when they are reasonably sure that they will have to dip into the conference's bowl allowance anyway. Classic cutting off your nose to spite your face mentality.

I live in DC. I work with two people who attend every football game that there alma maters play every season. The teams are Alabama and Oklahoma.

Reaction Score

We actually traveled well to the game. It was just a matter of where people bought tix. Phoenix being a desirable destination had little to do with it. What effected our reported ticket sales was the ability to purchase mid field tickets for about $20 each.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I live in DC. I work with two people who attend every football game that there alma maters play every season. The teams are Alabama and Oklahoma.
I'm not sure what that has to do with what I wrote. Dooley commented in the CBS article. I reprinted the sub-responses to him.

Attending every football game does not necessarily mean they buy over inflated bowl tickets from the school when you can create your own experience for a fraction of the cost on the secondary market. Secondly, two anecdotes of fans of unknown means does not the entire population represent.

Reaction Score
We actually traveled well to the game. It was just a matter of where people bought tix. Phoenix being a desirable destination had little to do with it. What effected our reported ticket sales was the ability to purchase mid field tickets for about $20 each.
Oh, I'm aware of that, I'm just saying that the distance we had to travel, as UCF does, significantly impacted the number of people who went as compared to if we/UCF were playing in Miami or New Orleans. That plus the fact that Phoenix is a much less desirable destination than Miami/New Orleans. I know my dad, when considering whether to go, wasn't terribly psyched about going to Phoenix, plus the "aura" of the Fiesta Bowl is nonexistent. If UConn were playing in the Rose Bowl, he'd have been there in a heartbeat, and would have gone to New Orleans in a flash. Phoenix, his response was "ehh...." That's before considering if he wanted to see the team, the opponent, and all of the other factors. I suspect there were other UConn fans in the same boat, and a lot of UCF fans as well.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Those numbers are forbidden from being reported in mainstream sports journalism. Real fans pay over inflated prices set by their schools in order to support their schools, value be damned.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The BCS bowl committee not only failed us but they failed America. The Orange bowl should have selected us to play vs. Virginia Tech -- we would have traveled even better and we would have had a much more competitive match up -- and likely would have won! Likewise, Stanford would have traveled better to the Fiesta and they would have had a competitive match up vs. Oklahoma.

I blame where we are in CR and Paul Pasquoloni on the Orange bowl for not picking us. If only they had picked last that year and we would be sitting much prettier than we are now. But let's march forward now... Diaco will take us to an "access" bowl within 3 years and we will be triumphant.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The BCS bowl committee not only failed us but they failed America. The Orange bowl should have selected us to play vs. Virginia Tech -- we would have traveled even better and we would have had a much more competitive match up -- and likely would have won! Likewise, Stanford would have traveled better to the Fiesta and they would have had a competitive match up vs. Oklahoma.

I blame where we are in CR and Paul Pasquoloni on the Orange bowl for not picking us. If only they had picked last that year and we would be sitting much prettier than we are now. But let's march forward now... Diaco will take us to an "access" bowl within 3 years and we will be triumphant.
I can't tell if the bold part of your post is serious. I agree that the Orange Bowl would have been a better destination for UConn, but they didn't have last pick, which is where UConn was going.

The problem is that while the BCS is a collection of bowl games, each game is autonomous. They were not looking for the best 4 games to maximize aggregate profit. Each bowl is out for themselves. The Orange Bowl made the right decision and was not the reason for Former "Coach" Pasqualoni. That hiring was more the result of a University's administrative leadership in flux, and an Athletic Director on borrowed time being dead from the neck up.

Reaction Score
I have never been to Phoenix before the Fiesta Bowl and I have no desire to go back ever again, too costly, too long a trip (17 hours door to door)and too darn cold.

Reaction Score
They must work for the Gov to have that benefit!

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I can't tell if the bold part of your post is serious. I agree that the Orange Bowl would have been a better destination for UConn, but they didn't have last pick, which is where UConn was going.

The problem is that while the BCS is a collection of bowl games, each game is autonomous. They were not looking for the best 4 games to maximize aggregate profit. Each bowl is out for themselves. The Orange Bowl made the right decision and was not the reason for Former "Coach" Pasqualoni. That hiring was more the result of a University's administrative leadership in flux, and an Athletic Director on borrowed time being dead from the neck up.
Part joking, part truth. I know the Orange didn't pick last that year (re-read what I wrote), they picked 2nd to last. That's why I said "if they had only picked last".

I know that each bowl operates autonomously and each bowl would have been more profitable if they had picked as I had said (and don't think that they don't talk amongst each other about who they are picking). And in regards to PP, I know it was late in the game, but do you not think that if we had won the orange bowl that better candidates wouldn't have come out of the woodwork and essentially fallen in Hathaway's lap?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Part joking, part truth. I know the Orange didn't pick last that year (re-read what I wrote), they picked 2nd to last. That's why I said "if they had only picked last".

I know that each bowl operates autonomously and each bowl would have been more profitable if they had picked as I had said (and don't think that they don't talk amongst each other about who they are picking). And in regards to PP, I know it was late in the game, but do you not think that if we had won the orange bowl that better candidates wouldn't have come out of the woodwork and essentially fallen in Hathaway's lap?

I'm sure they talk amongst themselves and everyone was laughing at the Fiesta Bowl (Meanwhile Junker and his lackies was laughing right back at them...at the time). They had to take Oklahoma to ensure the best perceived team outside the NC game, if they were going to be stuck with the clunker was supposed to be UConn.

It was late in the game, but no. I think being less than 5 weeks before NLI Day, everyone's staff is pretty well sewn up at that point, similar to what Manuel had to contend with re: Ollie. Hathaway didn't create a very good pool for a BCS team as it was and all he really had to choose from were also-rans and recent firees from other schools. None were all that impressive. It was a tough situation, to be sure, but there were at least two choices other than "Coach" Pasqualoni he could have chosen, who were not so polarizing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The bowls are not doing as awful at ticket sales as they have the last few years, but I still think the entire business model remains under tremendous pressure. It makes no sense for schools to be guaranteeing ticket sales to a third party, when they could host a playoff game and keep that revenue for themselves.

I think the bowl system will be dead or on its last legs by 2020.

Husky25

Reaction Score
With the Playoff system going into effect next year, Three Bowls become "relevant." The rest go back to being what they were intended to be: Exhibition games in warm climates to reward programs and allow fans of Midwestern/Northern program a momentary reprieve from the native elements. The key word, mind you is EXHIBITION.

If bowl organizers were really smart, they would band together and reduce the amount of bowl games. Less bowls = more prestige = more demand = more money. As it is, no one cares about bowls except for the schools playing in the game, the community immediately surrounding the stadium (For instance, if a bowl game was played at Rentschler, the only businesses who would give a are the Ramada, Comfort Inn, Margarita's and Kahoots) and their fans.

Reaction Score
With the Playoff system going into effect next year, Three Bowls become "relevant." The rest go back to being what they were intended to be: Exhibition games in warm climates to reward programs and allow fans of Midwestern/Northern program a momentary reprieve from the native elements. The key word, mind you is EXHIBITION.

If bowl organizers were really smart, they would band together and reduce the amount of bowl games. Less bowls = more prestige = more demand = more money. As it is, no one cares about bowls except for the schools playing in the game, the community immediately surrounding the stadium (For instance, if a bowl game was played at Rentschler, the only businesses who would give a are the Ramada, Comfort Inn, Margarita's and Kahoots) and their fans.

I believe Kahoots is closed in East Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom