UCF Adding Lazy River, Mini Golf To Practice Facility | The Boneyard

UCF Adding Lazy River, Mini Golf To Practice Facility

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
UCF AD: Lazy river will float the boat for recruits

I never thought I would say this, but UCF Athletics Director Danny White is absolutely right when he says a lazy river and miniature golf course are absolutely imperative if the Knights expect their football team to compete for championships.

A few days ago, White released his vision for the future — a plan for $25 million in upgrades that would enhance UCF’s football and other sports facilities.

The sports nutrition center (fancy name for cafateria-style training table) is probably the most important upgrade, but the one that has gotten all the notoriety is a resort-style lazy river — aka “Recovery Cove” — that runs through the athletic complex. Even Cosmopolitan magazine wrote a story about it for its website. The headline: “Maybe Consider Applying to This College Which Is Adding a Lazy River for Student Athletes.”

On the surface, this all might seem like wasteful spending, but in today’s world it’s actually necessary if you want to be competitive for the top recruits. These days, college football programs are building indoor laser tag facilities, bowling lanes, barber shops and smoothie bars. Colleges are not only luring recruits by showing them where they will eat, sleep and train, but also where they can kick back, relax and enjoy themselves.

“There’s such a small percentage of athletes who are good enough to help us win championships in a specific sport,” White told us on our Open Mike radio show the other day. “If they got that good, chances are they spend an awful lot of time training and practicing their sport and, so, the facilities they’re going to compete in — and, more importantly, train in — are very, very important. Our competitors are constantly investing in facilities, but with our weather we can pretty efficiently create a wow factor that allows us to compete nationally.”

Thus, the lazy river, the miniature golf course and the beach volleyball courts.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I wonder if we will look back 10 years from now and recognize UCF's lazy river as the highwater mark in NCAA excess. At some point the tug of war between sports vs academics vs tv revenue will leave casualties.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Ironically, with the quality of education they will be getting at UCF.....learning how to supervise people floating in a lazy river and managing the flow of traffic on a mini golf course may be key work experience on their resume when trying to gain employment in Orlando after their college career is over! ;):D:p

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ironically, with the quality of education they will be getting at UCF.....learning how to supervise people floating in a lazy river and managing the flow of traffic on a mini golf course may be key work experience on their resume when trying to gain employment in Orlando after their college career is over! ;):D:p

Using the lazy river will be a 400 level class.

Reaction Score
We can have a lazy ice-skating River when the season ends to when spring practice begins.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Is that really what kids want? I'd rather have my fun off campus and leave the facilities when my day is done.

Reaction Score
Goal to be a TOP 25 Athletic Program in the country (not just Football)

Outside the Power 5. I would argue that is possible. In fact, UConn - brand + excellence in several sports - also can be in that group. What is missing? The Cartel on Football keeps Programs that are rising - through Brand, excellence of enrollment trends, academics, multi-layered entrepreneurial status in region - from getting to where they could be. It is fully anti-competitive in a broad spectrum of ways Universities need to grow.

Reaction Score
I hope everyone is watching the HBO series "UConn March to Madness" about Geno and the Women's Basketball program. I've had friends around the country email me with comments like these. "Wow, never knew your facilities were so good" and "The campus looks awesome". Watch it and smile. They are doing a great job with both the (frankly) incredible story and the visuals. The narrator is the same one as on Hard Knocks. It's must see TV. And it's better than a lazy river.

Reaction Score
Lazy River may cause some athletes to think twice about attending class. But no worries...the timing is perfect with the NCAA's new lack of enforcement policy...witness Louisville, North Carolina, Syracuse...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I hope everyone is watching the HBO series "UConn March to Madness" about Geno and the Women's Basketball program. I've had friends around the country email me with comments like these. "Wow, never knew your facilities were so good" and "The campus looks awesome". Watch it and smile. They are doing a great job with both the (frankly) incredible story and the visuals. The narrator is the same one as on Hard Knocks. It's must see TV. And it's better than a lazy river.

That's Liev Schreiber, aka Ray Donovan on Showtime. Bad ass character on an excellent show. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend.

Reaction Score
Good! While UCF is playing mini golf UConn will be practicing football. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom