U18 Gold Medal Game USA vs Canada 8:15 PM | The Boneyard

U18 Gold Medal Game USA vs Canada 8:15 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Looking forward to seeing the US play for gold. There is some major talent on this team.

Reaction Score
Lauren Cox impresses me. Very smooth and good fundamentals. Doesn't miss under the basket. Amber Ramirez also very impressive from outside.

But I haven't been overwhelmed by either of the superstars: Walker or Boothe. Lots of missed layups by both. Not making an impression.

But that's only after having watched three of those U-18 games. Must be more to their game.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA Leads 23-20 end of 1st Qtr. Canada is a talented team and I expect this game to go down to the wire.

USA can't stop Canada's dribble/drive for layups.

Stats : FIBA Live Statistics

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA opens the 2nd qtr on an 8-0 Run to open up a 11 point lead. Canada calls timeout

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA Leads Canada at the half 51-34

USA with only 2 TO's Canada with 12 USA with 9 Steals Canada with 2 IMHO They are the significant Stats of the Half

Megan was 3-5 for 6 points.

Reaction Score
I think Walker started the tournament pressing too much. She seems to have settled in these last few games.

I think she'll be good on any college team she chooses, but has the potential to be the best on a team that plays structured ball, instead of "hero ball." (hint, hint, hint ;) )

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Didn't see this coming. USA Leads 84 - 48 end of 3rd Qtr. USA will end its Gold Medal drought.

IS it the Coach. This team is coached by College Coaches, while the U16 & U17 team had a HS Coach.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Shame to see USA Team stop playing Team Basketball even though they lead by 40 points.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Tonight, I've been the most impressed with this USA team than I've been the entire tournament. They've really upped the defensive intensity since the Puerto Rico game and it's showing..

My takes:

Post/Forwards: Let me just say.. WOW, Lauren Cox... I'll admit, I haven't been that impressed with Cox prior to the last two games. And after the U19s last summer I even questioned to myself whether she was really worth being the #1 in her class... well tonight (and against PR), she's REALLY making her stamp. Cox is impressive.. She's going to be an amazing center for Baylor and tonight she's showing her full arsenal. She's a block machine in the paint. I've been impressed with all of the forwards at some point.. Rellah boothe has great range, Boehm is very light on her feet and just "gets it". I LOVE Sidney Cooks.. she has such good shooting form, runs the floor well, can handle the ball and has an edge to her personality that I like in my forwards.

Guards: I originally started watching this tournament to see what kind of PG we were getting in Harris.. and I'm not disappointed. She's one of the best guards on this team and she's an assist waiting to happen. She will do very well at SC and if she plays this way this fall then I can definitely see her taking the starting PG spot from Cuevas. I also really like Carter and Westbrook.. Westbrook is good at everything and very graceful doing it. Carter has a strong body and uses it to get to where she needs to be. They are both very good scorers as well. I've been surprisingly impressed with Valerie Higgins.. she's long, deceptively quick and very smart.. she's ALWAYS in the right place at the right time on the court. Her length has really bothered teams this tournament.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA Wins Gold Medal in a Rom 109-62. USA played Great Team BB for most of the game.

USA only had 3 tun overs for the Game. Huge difference as they have been averaging close to 20 a game.

Stats: FIBA Live Statistics

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
For me Cox was the best player on the floor on a consistent basis. Whenever she appeared she opened up the lanes for the other players and dominated the middle on defense allowing the others to overplay the passing lanes. Her shot past 10 feet was MIA but hopefully she'll develop this skill despite Mulkey. I think she's better than anything Kim has already.

Reaction Score
Didn't see this coming. USA Leads 84 - 48 end of 3rd Qtr. USA will end its Gold Medal drought.

IS it the Coach. This team is coached by College Coaches, while the U16 & U17 team had a HS Coach.

Hard to say but the level of competition was pretty low...............curious to see how they'd compete against the Aussies, Spanish etc.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
"The little girl with the curl..."

When they were good, they were very, very good.

Reaction Score
So does this mean USA Basketball isn't going to hell in a hand basket? ;)
You mean we're not falling behind the rest of the world?

Reaction Score
So does this mean USA Basketball isn't going to hell in a hand basket? ;)
You mean we're not falling behind the rest of the world?

It's unclear about the rest of the world but USA Basketball is #1 in the Americas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom