U18 and U17 training rosters set | The Boneyard

U18 and U17 training rosters set

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
also for the U18 group, Saniya Chong was invited to try out. i wonder why she wasn't included in the U17 team unless she will be 18 by the time they have to play. I'd expect our terrific trio will make the team... would be great if Saniya made it too...

Diamond, Erica McCall and Linnae Harper were already on the US national team last time and were invited back. Also, Sierra Calhoun, Courtney Ekmark, Karlie Samuelson, and Brianna Turner were all invited to try out for the U17 team. Congrats and good luck to all of them...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Strictly based on reputations, don't see any country coming close to the U16 team. The U18 team also looks to be strong as well with plenty of players with International experience.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I really want MoJeff to make the U18 team this time. She is due, to say the
least.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I really want MoJeff to make the U18 team this time. She is due, to say the east.
ok i'll bite. "The east"... ;)

seriously tho, agree with you. she SHOULD make the team - on the last team, Dolson and Hartley made it but they are too old now. Moriah made the final 15 only to be cut along with Meighan Simmons at the end. Alexis Jones made the team but didn't play much as Massengale and Hartley got most of the PT for the team IIRC...

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Strictly based on reputations, don't see any country coming close to the U16 team. The U18 team also looks to be strong as well with plenty of players with International experience.

While I agree with you, keep in mind that most do not know what other contries' U16 players are like. Remember the AIS class of 1998/1999? Consisted of Lauren Jackson, Penny Taylor, Suzy Batkovic, Belinda Snell, and Kristen Veal. Even the 2001 Czech Republic team at the U19/Junior World Championship managed to defeat Team USA led by Diana Taurasi, Alana Beard, Cappie Pondexter, Nicole Powell, Monique Currie, Shameka Christon, etc. There can be surprises, even really big ones.

That being said, American players are gaining more exposure to international competition at an earlier age. In addition, they are also playing more games against other top American players (the McDonald's game was not even in existence when the Czechs beat Team USA).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
There's only one reason why Team USA that had DT, Alana and other lost the game, was the crooked refs and the game being played in Czech Republic. However, I will agree that anything can happen but based on what's happened in the last International events, don't see it happening.

The Pan Am team lost because they were playing pros and Team USA didn't invite or the most talented players didn't or couldn't accept an invite.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
35 players for the U17s seems like about ten or twelve too many. Perhaps the committee is wanting a first look at a bunch of youngsters?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was surprised to see Alexis Jones not on the list..... then i looked it up and saw that she played on the 2010 u18 team.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
I think the only 2012's on the list are younger for their grades. 2013's like Kailee Johnson, Tyler Scaife, and Alexis Brown are older. That's why they weren't at the U16 trials last year.

That may explain Jones' absence.

Reaction Score
surprised diamond desheilds isn't on the U18
she was on the U18 in 2010 and U19 in 2011..

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
surprised diamond desheilds isn't on the U18
she was on the U18 in 2010 and U19 in 2011..
IIRC, she didn't get much PT on that team. perhaps they/she felt it would be better to be on the U17 team where she'd likely be a starter and have more of an impact.

Reaction Score
....in 2010 she averages 9pts a game and last year she averaged 5pts a game.. for a role player playing with women's that were almost 5 years older than her thats pretty good...
if she was on the U18 team right now she wouldn't start but he would be a key player on that team
Wouldn't be surprised if they moved her up at the trials

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
35 players for the U17s seems like about ten or twelve too many. Perhaps the committee is wanting a first look at a bunch of youngsters?
I think that is it - these are early days in terms of exposure for these kids so casting a wider net is not a bad idea. Last year they had that wierd deal with the under 16s where players could apply and pay their own way for the same reason.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
....in 2010 she averages 9pts a game and last year she averaged 5pts a game.. for a role player playing with women's that were almost 5 years older than her thats pretty good...
if she was on the U18 team right now she wouldn't start but he would be a key player on that team
Wouldn't be surprised if they moved her up at the trials
Not sure about the prestige of the competitions this summer, but they often take that into account too.

Reaction Score
Oregon has some great talent coming up look on the trials rosters they are well represented for a state not exactly touted for producing a lot of great players.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Question: I assume USAbasketball provides lodging and meals for all those invited.
Does anyone know if the pay for travel expenses to/fro Colorado Springs? Plane fare round trip
for some families might be prohibitive....I hope the USABasketball organization pays for the travel expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom