U17 World Cup | The Boneyard

U17 World Cup

Reaction Score

Awa Fam Thiam (2006) vs Embutidos Pajariel Bembibre (30 - 1 - 2022)

Hello to all. This is the second time i write to you, as for the first one it is a text that has been translated by a software. Today i want to tell you about a player of the U17 team os Spain that should be watched during the next U17 World Cup starting on july 9 in Hungary. This is Awa Fam Thiam, a 6'4'' Power Forward who just turned 16. She play for Valencia Basket and last fall, she joined the senior team of the place at the age of 15 years 5 months and 15 days, which is a record of precocity for the Spanish league.

She is ranked first in the 2024 class by WorldWideHoops, followed by Toby Fournier. Two short videos are attached, the first one with her age group team a year ago and the second one with the senior team of Valencia from last february first. In both videos we can see that she is a good ball handler, a goog passer, she also has good footwork and is already skilled with her back to the basket, the only thing we don't see is her ability to make outside shots. I don't know if UCONN can attract such a player, but obviously she would be an asset.

Also attached, four tall players (6'4'' or taller) to watch out for in the tournament and the FIBA website of the U17 world Cup which starts in eight days. As you can see in the promotional video of Awa Fam is with music and writing in english. If Geno is present it is possible that he needs an interpreter for French and Spanish, Lou may have to accompany him.

Attachments

• Grandes tailles 2022 Mondial U17.png
    Grandes tailles 2022 Mondial U17.png
    205.5 KB · Views: 251
Reaction Score
She is big, strong and quick. And she blocks shots like Bill Russell -- no big swat, just a tap so she can grab the ball. That's takes a lot of self-control. Still, the question is whether she's coachable in respect to other dimensions of her game. She clearly likes to run, and she likes to dribble the ball up the court. I suspect in US D1 ball, if the guards didn't just pick her pocket at half court, she'd get called for traveling... A LOT. Also, she shuffles her feet on almost every post move. And she fouls a lot by US standards. Nika complains bitterly about this same thing. Anyway, none of this is a disaster in a 16 year old. But it underlines how much she needs coaching. If she can't accept coaching, she's no use to us.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If she’s from Spain, you can be sure that Geno’s golfing buddy from USF is recruiting her hard.

Reaction Score
First things I notice are the ones you can't teach 6-4 kids. Athleticism, lateral quickness and mobility, good quick hands, ball pursuit, and a real motor. I'd be all over her yesterday.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
There is a preview tournament being played today tomorrow and Tuesday in Salamanca Spain. USA- France- Spain and Australia are involved.
USA vs France on right now late in 1st qtr USA up 19-11 over France.
Spain vs Australia to follow.

It can be viewed no charge(registration required) on Spains Feb TV site.

Reaction Score
There is a preview tournament being played today tomorrow and Tuesday in Salamanca Spain. USA- France- Spain and Australia are involved.
USA vs France on right now late in 1st qtr USA up 19-11 over France.
Spain vs Australia to follow.

It can be viewed no charge(registration required) on Spains Feb TV site.

Final score yesterday.

Attachments

• Pointage finale 03-07-2022.png
    Pointage finale 03-07-2022.png
    578.2 KB · Views: 236

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The girl from Spain that impressed me. #4

I translated the tweet as follows:

Her name is Iyana Martín, she is 16 years old and when she sat down, eliminated due to fouls, all of Würzburg was unanimous: MVP, MVP, MVP Without a doubt the player of the tournament #U17F Beautiful to see her get excited at that verdict from the stands

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom