U17 'World Cup' | The Boneyard

U17 'World Cup'

Reaction Score
The US handled India (as they were expected to) 3-0 in their opening match. Probably should have scored more goals as goal diff will come in to play. They are struggling their way thru a 0-0 game (in the 75th minute as I type) with Ghana (it feels like our national teams always end up playing Ghana). Ghana has blown 3 point blank opportunities and have been dominating the match from the 20th minute on. Sargent has been held in check so far.... Ghana is SOOOO much faster than the US.

Ghana beat Colombia 1-0 in their opening match, and as things stand now, the US will probably need to beat Colombia (draw, at worst) to have a shot of getting out of their group.

As for the rest of CONCACAF... Costa Rica played Germany tough, losing 2-1 on a late goal; Mexico tied Iraq 1-1; Honduras were throttled by Japan 6-1

Reaction Score
and literally SECONDS after I hit "post" the US scores to go up 1-0. Wow! Ayo Akiola (Toronto FC academy) scoring off a nice turnover forced by Durkin (DC United, on loan to Richmond Strikers).

Reaction Score
and literally SECONDS after I hit "post" the US scores to go up 1-0. Wow! Ayo Akiola (Toronto FC academy) scoring off a nice turnover forced by Durkin (DC United, on loan to Richmond Strikers).
Akinola is slept on somewhat compared to Sargent and Carleton, I've watched a couple U-17 games and he is right up there talent level wise.

Reaction Score
How does Sargent look?
Sargent was held in check all match. i watched most, not all, and they barely called his name. Ghana did a good job on him. He had an early opportunity, but otherwise I didn't notice him creating much. He did lay off some nice passes.

Akinola is slept on somewhat compared to Sargent and Carleton, I've watched a couple U-17 games and he is right up there talent level wise.
Akinola is a strong player (Altidore-esque in terms of holding off defenders), and he has pace. He was impressive coming off the bench in the 2nd half. He kinda changed the game for the US in a good way. He technically has his choice of playing for either the US, Canada, or Nigeria on the senior team. Born in Detroit, grew up in Canada, parents are Nigerian.

Reaction Score
How does Sargent look?

He did not look very good to me. Actually a bit clumsy at points. I've only seen him one game, but from what I saw? I'm not thrilled.

Durkin on the other hand was big, strong, dispossessed Ghana players, made great decisions, has excellent footwork. He may be lacking in speed, but he was impressive at the #6.

Reaction Score
England's soccer future looks really bright... Their U20 just won a world championship... Their U17 team looks very strong in the U17 WC (beat Chile 4-0, and is up 3-0 on Mexico in the 56th minute). Their senior team has a lot of very young impact players: Kane (24), Rashford (19), Alli (21), Dier (23), Lingard (24), Sterling (22), Oxlade-Chamberlain (24), Stones (23).

Reaction Score
England's soccer future looks really bright... Their U20 just won a world championship... Their U17 team looks very strong in the U17 WC (beat Chile 4-0, and is up 3-0 on Mexico in the 56th minute). Their senior team has a lot of very young impact players: Kane (24), Rashford (19), Alli (21), Dier (23), Lingard (24), Sterling (22), Oxlade-Chamberlain (24), Stones (23).
I typed too soon. Mexico scores 2 goals in 7 minutes.. and Diego Lainez is Mexico's next soccer great. 17 years old, one of the top youth players in the world (according to the announcers). Entertaining match if you're able to watch it (FS2).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm interested in goalkeepers. We once had an abundance of top level keepers, and now they are all slow and over the hill. Who is next up? This is an area where skills from basketball and football translate. The U.S. sports all focus on hand eye coordination, and we should be producing awesome keepers.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm interested in goalkeepers. We once had an abundance of top level keepers, and now they are all slow and over the hill. Who is next up? This is an area where skills from basketball and football translate. The U.S. sports all focus on hand eye coordination, and we should be producing awesome keepers.
Next up should be one of Jesse Gonzalez (22), Bill Hamid (26) or Ethan Horvath (22). Cody Cropper has played for the U23's. Klinsmann on the U20's. We have some potential. But it'll be a drop from what we've had...at least for awhile.

We had a pretty good run of Meola to Friedel to Keller to Howard.

Reaction Score
England's soccer future looks really bright...
Funny, even English friends who are typically the most enthusiastic England supporters are discounting their potential. Perhaps just some hard lessons learned from so many years not named 1966 ...

Reaction Score
Next up ... But it'll be a drop from what we've had...at least for awhile. We had a pretty good run of Meola to Friedel to Keller to Howard.
No doubt, and safe to say way more than a pretty good run compared with many others national teams. Even program saving!

Next up ...

Reaction Score
US gives up a soft goal in the 3rd minute, down 1-0 early.

Reaction Score
George Acosta equalizes for the US 25th minute.. nice assist/set up by Andrew Carlton

Reaction Score
I hear there are Man City scouts in attendance, though I'm sure plenty of clubs are all over

Reaction Score
1-1 at the half. US got of to a bumpy start, settled in, and has been an evenly matched game so far.
Sergino Dest, in the Ajax system, has looked pretty solid/composed at right back so far.

Reaction Score
Colombia goes up 2-1 in the 67th minute with a sweet free kick.

Reaction Score
Now 3-1 Colombia in 87th minute. US falling apart. Ghana up 4-0 on India after scor Ng 2 goals in a minute or so. .... so in a matter of seconds the US went from top of the group and into a coin toss to finish 2nd or 3rd in the group.

Either way they advance, but their opponent gets very different.

6 minutes of stoppage time

Reaction Score
Whatever gives these kids a platform to get to the best club teams available to them is all that matters. If Bruce doesn't think anything needs to change, these kids have to go get it for themselves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom