U17 World Championships: USA v China (7/24/18) | The Boneyard

U17 World Championships: USA v China (7/24/18)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In earlier action:

Australia 64 Canada 48
Latvia 68 Angola 47
Hungary 57 Spain 56
Argentina 60 New Zealand 52

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So, based on what we've seen thus far, how high on UConn's "must get" list should Horston be placed?
3rd.
1) Boston because UCONN badly needs her size and skill in the post.
2) Haley Jones because she is Huskies WoH capable and might challenge UCONN's Mount Rushmore.
3) Horston because she is supremely gifted and Geno (maybe Dawn) is the coach to make sure she doesn't cheat her immense gifts.
4) Amihere =same rationale as for Horston except more gifted on the defensive side of the ball.
5) Aubrey Griffin-Coming on strong but 2, 3 & 4 has had a large head start in performance and good health.

Reaction Score
A few observations: Horston and Jones are VERY BAD girls. The difference is night and day when they're on or off the court. IMO, they could both play off UConn's bench this year. Boston is a nice, solid post who positions well and knows what she's doing. But her offensive skills are still very raw. Somebody's got to teach her how to get up off her feet and attack the rim. Bueckers is smooth and a play ahead of everybody but she's got to get a lot stronger or she'll get banged off her game like Samuelson was her first couple years. And for her age or not, Fudd is just ridiculous. Her skills and footwork on both ends are superb. And I have to ask: Is it a FIBA rule that every bolt on those rims have to be cranked as tight as they can get them?

Reaction Score
Saw most of the game (first one I actually saw from this tournament) and few thoughts:
a. The starting 5 are really really good and i can see all of them being College AA.
b. Love Hailey Van Lith! please have this kid come to UConn...
c. Brink needs to add strength as she was pushed around a lot.
d. Boston is the center UConn needs
e. If we get one of Horston or Jones we'll be in a real good place. If we get both, wow...
f. Don't like Cooks game...way too much one on one and as a point guard looks for her shot first...
g. Was interested to see SB play and my impressions form the last tournament (U16) didn't change...she is a stretch 4 (no way is she a 3 in college), very fundamentally sound but has issues with finishing around the basket.
h. Fudd is something else...the fact that she is the youngest on this team is ridicules when you see her play. She plays way way beyond her years.
I. it is interesting for me that Bueckers is playing the SG on this team while she is clearly one of the best (if not the best) passers on this team.

Reaction Score
Saw most of the game (first one I actually saw from this tournament) and few thoughts:
a. The starting 5 are really really good and i can see all of them being College AA.
b. Love Hailey Van Lith! please have this kid come to UConn...
c. Brink needs to add strength as she was pushed around a lot.
d. Boston is the center UConn needs
e. If we get one of Horston or Jones we'll be in a real good place. If we get both, wow...
f. Don't like Cooks game...way too much one on one and as a point guard looks for her shot first...
g. Was interested to see SB play and my impressions form the last tournament (U16) didn't change...she is a stretch 4 (no way is she a 3 in college), very fundamentally sound but has issues with finishing around the basket.
h. Fudd is something else...the fact that she is the youngest on this team is ridicules when you see her play. She plays way way beyond her years.
I. it is interesting for me that Bueckers is playing the SG on this team while she is clearly one of the best (if not the best) passers on this team.
Agree with everyone of your points.
We would do well to get almost every member of the team except for Cooke.
Fudd, of course, is beyond belief and comparison at her age. Bueckers is not far behind. Jones and Horston are both amazing talents and players already. And Boston, surely is the big needed so much at U Conn.
As good / great as all five of them are, Hailey Van Lith to me at least is as important a recruit as each of them. Just as the team needs some bigs offensively and defensively, we need the next great point guard to replace CD.
To this point I am still having trouble seeing Brink's being close to the above named six. Maybe it that's bigs, especially one that tall and thin, takes longer to develop.
I think SB will be a good to very good college player and seems to fit Notre Dame and MM's style.
I haven't yet watched the whole game but was very pleased to see and HEAR, Mr. Fudd's reduced and more reasonable use of the air horn. I will assume either he was spoken to by someone(s) or heard or read some of the criticism and incorporated it, into his use of it today. If so, bravo to him.
This is a tremendous team to watch and the talent level is just truly amazing.
Bronx23

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Chris Dailey was at today's game, sitting fairly close to Tim Fudd.

5b9e36c8c5be498fb21f8b098c82c7da.ashx

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
USA will play Columbia in the Round of 16 tomorrow at 1:00 EDT.

Reaction Score
3rd.
1) Boston because UCONN badly needs her size and skill in the post.
2) Haley Jones because she is Huskies WoH capable and might challenge UCONN's Mount Rushmore.
3) Horston because she is supremely gifted and Geno (maybe Dawn) is the coach to make sure she doesn't cheat her immense gifts.
4) Amihere =same rationale as for Horston except more gifted on the defensive side of the ball.
5) Aubrey Griffin-Coming on strong but 2, 3 & 4 has had a large head start in performance and good health.
Well said!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
USA will likely meet either France or Australia in the Finals.

Di5PuwFW4AAVbHv.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For those that were giving Tim Fudd a hard time about the horn yesterday the Chinese one upped him and brought drums today.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A few additional thoughts after watching this game on replay.

Haley Jones is very much like Napheesa, she makes EVERYTHING look so effortless and never breaks a sweat.

Cooke is much better off the ball than with the ball and will need to make a similar transition to Durr in college. Louisville might not be a bad school for her if she wants to be coached up.

Been watching Boston’s footwork, pretty advanced now, a couple months with Chris Dailey and she will be a master craftsman.

Texas is getting a really really good player in Celeste Taylor and a 4 year fan in me as long as they are not playing UCONN. A sniper like her with the Texas bigs is going to cause some problems.

Cameron Brink threw an elbow on a tie up and it made me smile. Nobody got hurt and she played much better after that- by far her best game.

No wonder UCONN has so many kids being looked at in this game. These ladies pass the ball like a hot collection plate on Sundays. You could easily make the argument that Fudd, Bueckers, or Horston is the best passers to come through USA basketball system at 19U in the last 10-15 years. Yes, I fully realize that would include Crystal Dangerfield and Moriah Jefferson.

These kids are being really really well coached. Shout out to Carla! The floor is always balanced, the defensive rotations and help are always timely. In transition there is no crowding and on offense the weakside corners are always occupied. I wonder where Carla learned this?

@dtbtbtb said e. “If we get one of Horston or Jones we'll be in a real good place. If we get both, wow.” I couldn’t agree more. Remarkable chemistry between those two in such a short time of playing together.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A few additional thoughts after watching this game on replay.

Haley Jones is very much like Napheesa, she makes EVERYTHING look so effortless and never breaks a sweat.

Cooke is much better off the ball than with the ball and will need to make a similar transition to Durr in college. Louisville might not be a bad school for her if she wants to be coached up.

Been watching Boston’s footwork, pretty advanced now, a couple months with Chris Dailey and she will be a master craftsman.

Texas is getting a really really good player in Celeste Taylor and a 4 year fan in me as long as they are not playing UCONN. A sniper like her with the Texas bigs is going to cause some problems.

Cameron Brink threw an elbow on a tie up and it made me smile. Nobody got hurt and she played much better after that- by far her best game.

No wonder UCONN has so many kids being looked at in this game. These ladies pass the ball like a hot collection plate on Sundays. You could easily make the argument that Fudd, Bueckers, or Horston is the best passers to come through USA basketball system at 19U in the last 10-15 years. Yes, I fully realize that would include Crystal Dangerfield and Moriah Jefferson.

These kids are being really really well coached. Shout out to Carla! The floor is always balanced, the defensive rotations and help are always timely. In transition there is no crowding and on offense the weakside corners are always occupied. I wonder where Carla learned this?

@dtbtbtb said e. “If we get one of Horston or Jones we'll be in a real good place. If we get both, wow.” I couldn’t agree more. Remarkable chemistry between those two in such a short time of playing together.

X All of the above

I enjoyed watching Brink defend the big girl from China. She worked hard.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Horston looks soo much better than she did last summer. She's everywhere on the court.

Jones is fantastic. Her passing skills and posting skills--as a wing!--are impeccable.

Brink's gonna be a monster. She's scratching the surface of her huge talent.

Van Lith is so fun to watch. She makes several highlight plays a game.

Even when Boston isn't scoring she's a beast because she passes really well, rebounds really well, and defends down low and in space really well. She tends to rush things offensively leading to some poor shots. But the skills are there. Remember that she's as young as the 2020's.

Fudd's about the surest thing I can recall seeing.

I think Cooke gets a bit too much criticism here. Yes, she's more of a 1-on-1 player, but she will pass, she has a great motor, she's fearless, and very skilled.

I think Brunelle will be a solid player in college, just not the #1 overall type player. A case where a label gives a player unfair expectations. She didn't rank herself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom