U.S. News Rankings Out | The Boneyard

U.S. News Rankings Out

Reaction Score
Apologies if already posted. I was looking through various news sites this evening and happened to notice the 2019 university rankings are out. UConn comes in at #64. Not sure what that really signifies. My family never put much stock in the rankings game. Worth noting perhaps is that UConn shared the #64 position with soon-not-to-be-Conference-mate SMU, as well as WPI and UMass-Amherst. I am a little surprised about the Minutemen as last I knew they were closer to #100 than #50!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
State funding is a part the formula. The downturn in has driven our ranking down.

Reaction Score
State funding is a part the formula. The downturn in has driven our ranking down.

UConn still has a pretty strong ranking. Top 25 among public R1s. Is UMass getting more public funding these days? Is that what is helping them move up? (It can't be athletics!)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn still has a pretty strong ranking. Top 25 among public R1s. Is UMass getting more public funding these days? Is that what is helping them move up? (It can't be athletics!)
Could be the pension funding issue mentioned in the article.

Reaction Score

Mass is getting Connecticut's Fortune 500 companies. So they go up and we go down as the ripple effect of those moves affect the economies. It makes a difference.

Reaction Score
Mass is getting Connecticut's Fortune 500 companies. So they go up and we go down as the ripple effect of those moves affect the economies. It makes a difference.

Connecticut residents still don't seem to grasp the consequences of their disastrous choices of elected leaders and it's negative effect on UConn in all areas.

We were comfortably ahead of UMass just 5 years ago. Comfortably.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Connecticut residents still don't seem to grasp the consequences of their disastrous choices of elected leaders and it's negative effect on UConn in all areas.

We have a state where the number one focus is on pension preservation for government workers. Everything and everyone else takes a back seat. We are about 15 years out from a PR type debt crisis.

Reaction Score

I have no doubt Massachusetts will duck up & degrade their State U. Connecticut does value UCONN more. However ... nearby states, including SUNY next door, are making huge efforts to rise. And Rutgers is more focused and driven than a previous decade.

From my circle in Westchester, there’s mostly mid level students grabbing Richmond or Elon ... and then Alabama or South Carolina for the presumed tiers below IVY or heavy academic private. That’s nuts. UConn should be competitive there.

Reaction Score
UCONN and UMass Amherst are both top research universities. UMass definitely doesn’t fund the athletics as much as UCONN. As a UCONN sports fan I am glad that they are at least making an effort.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The Connecticut state budget is a cluster. Too many obligations. That means less money to UConn, and US News weighs funding extremely heavy. That’s the main reason we shot up the rankings over the last 20 years. Now it’s biting us in the ass.

Reaction Score
I suspect the new UConn president will get UConn's rankings improved. He will bring in more federal research dollars and improve the university's academics.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
There’s a huge UMaine billboard on 84 in Vernon saying you can go there for the same cost as UConn

....to what benefit? Freeze your ass off?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom