Tyler Polley free throw shooting | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley free throw shooting

Reaction Score
Some interesting observations about Tyler's Polley's free throw shooting:

Polley is shooting a team-high 89% from the foul line, having made 26 of 29 attempts. This is pretty remarkable in and of itself, but I suppose it's not necessarily surprising considering Polley is in his fifth year and is our best pure shooter.

More surprising? Polley is third on our team in total FT attempts this year, behind only Cole and Gaffney. To be fair, Martin and Sanogo are slightly ahead of Polley in free throw attempts per game but being 3rd overall is still commendable.

In 11 games this year, Polley has already surpassed his total FT attempts from last year (29 this year through 11 games; 21 last year through 22 games). This is a huge leap. Polley has also tied his Junior year free throw total (29 attempts through 15 games).

The most insane Polley free throw stat? The only three free throws he's missed all year have been when he's been fouled shooting a three-pointer. Every single time he's had two foul shots, he's made both. He went 2-of-3 after being fouled on three-point shots vs Auburn, UMES, and WVU.

Reaction Score
Some interesting observations about Tyler's Polley's free throw shooting:

Polley is shooting a team-high 89% from the foul line, having made 26 of 29 attempts. This is pretty remarkable in and of itself, but I suppose it's not necessarily surprising considering Polley is in his fifth year and is our best pure shooter.

More surprising? Polley is third on our team in total FT attempts this year, behind only Cole and Gaffney. To be fair, Martin and Sanogo are slightly ahead of Polley in free throw attempts per game but being 3rd overall is still commendable.

In 11 games this year, Polley has already surpassed his total FT attempts from last year (29 this year through 11 games; 21 last year through 22 games). This is a huge leap. Polley has also tied his Junior year free throw total (29 attempts through 15 games).

The most insane Polley free throw stat? The only three free throws he's missed all year have been when he's been fouled shooting a three-pointer. Every single time he's had two foul shots, he's made both. He went 2-of-3 after being fouled on three-point shots vs Auburn, UMES, and WVU.
And those misses drive me crazy!

Reaction Score
And those misses drive me crazy!
Agreed! My understanding is it's pretty common for players to struggle more shooting three free throws, but it's definitely frustrating to see as a fan.

Reaction Score
It's clear he's changed his mentality a bit when it comes to physicality. He'll never be someone who seeks it out, but he completely avoided it up until this year. Every time he gets an offensive board, I jump out of my seat.
No doubt. He had a putback surrounded by four defenders from yesterday's game that jumped out as a play he was not likely to have made in years past.

s/o @Storrs South for the video:

Edit: Also, related to this: I believe Polley has more dunks this year through 15 games than the last two seasons combined.

Double edit: Confirmed the above fact by determining that Polley had 0 dunks the previous two seasons lol. Think he's had 2 this season, but I could be mistaken. Definitely more than 0 though.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
No doubt. He had a putback surrounded by four defenders from yesterday's game that jumped out as a play he was not likely to have made in years past.

s/o @Storrs South for the video:

Edit: Also, related to this: I believe Polley has more dunks this year through 15 games than the last two seasons combined.

Double edit: Confirmed the above fact by determining that Polley had 0 dunks the previous two seasons lol. Think he's had 2 this season, but I could be mistaken. Definitely more than 0 though.

I forget what game it was, maybe Grambling? But he had a clear path to the basket, tried to dunk and got rejected by the rim. He just doesn't have ups.

Reaction Score
I forget what game it was, maybe Grambling? But he had a clear path to the basket, tried to dunk and got rejected by the rim. He just doesn't have ups.

I think in fairness he caught the ball on the block and jumped off of two feet from a dead stop. The ball rimmed out. Kind of a fluky play. It's not like he can't dunk the ball.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Polley is a great piece to have on any team. His height and high release are an underated aspect of his effectiveness.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
n 11 games this year, Polley has already surpassed his total FT attempts from last year (29 this year through 11 games; 21 last year through 22 games). This is a huge leap. Polley has also tied his Junior year free throw total (29 attempts through 15 games).
I get the feeling that when he decided to come back for the extra year, DH told him that if he wanted minutes, he'd have to be more willing to mix it up in the paint than in previous seasons. And he took it to heart. It helps us, to be sure. But it also helps him going forward, if he hopes to have a professional career somewhere.

Reaction Score
I have defended Polley for years on this site. And it was great to see him deliver the dagger against the Bonnies.

However, to this point, his year has been a disappointment. He is shooting 31% from the arc. That is simply not good enough for a guy whose primary weapon is his shooting. For the team to reach its potential Ty must be around 40%. And it wouldn't hurt for him to show a little more consistency. He has four games when he didn't make a single three out of eleven games. Got to stop putting up zeros.

He has improved in almost every facet of his game, rebounding, getting to the FT line, in the last couple of years. But he is here to shoot. We know he can. But it's time.

Reaction Score
I have defended Polley for years on this site. And it was great to see him deliver the dagger against the Bonnies.

However, to this point, his year has been a disappointment. He is shooting 31% from the arc. That is simply not good enough for a guy whose primary weapon is his shooting. For the team to reach its potential Ty must be around 40%. And it wouldn't hurt for him to show a little more consistency. He has four games when he didn't make a single three out of eleven games. Got to stop putting up zeros.

He has improved in almost every facet of his game, rebounding, getting to the FT line, in the last couple of years. But he is here to shoot. We know he can. But it's time.
Throw out 4 of his first 5 games... then recompute.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Love the stats. If we have to have a free throw, I'd pick Gaffney. Made big ones as a freshman

Gaffney is having his worst year with free throws. If you want to take out his 0-3 from the first two cupcake games, he's 80% but he is at 74% for the year.

Gaff and Polley are part of DH's end of game offense when the opponents will be fouling which certainly helps them out with FT/game.

Good thing is outside of Whaley no one on the team is around the 50% mark. Martin is the second worst shooter out of the core 8/9 players in the rotation.

Reaction Score

And he’s missing some very wide open shots. I expect it to get better. It’s been frustrating

Reaction Score
Gaffney is having his worst year with free throws. If you want to take out his 0-3 from the first two cupcake games, he's 80% but he is at 74% for the year.

Gaff and Polley are part of DH's end of game offense when the opponents will be fouling which certainly helps them out with FT/game.

Good thing is outside of Whaley no one on the team is around the 50% mark. Martin is the second worst shooter out of the core 8/9 players in the rotation.
you might be forgetting about akok. despite shooting 62% from 3, he is now shooting 36% from the line. small sample size for each, but still a pretty stunning split.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The free throw percentage for Polley will benefit the team greatly if he decides to drive the ball and initiate contact. Not all teams are going to be crazy enough to foul a 3 pt attempt. I'd love to know Gaff's percentage of makes on two shot FTs.

Reaction Score

He was at 42% I believe two years ago when he blew his knee out. Getting back to that number would both be huge for the team, and possibly necessary if he doesn't want his minutes cut into. Given how free he is to shoot, even when it looks a little rushed, he must have a green light from Hurley based on how he practices. Just time to consistently get it done.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He was at 42% I believe two years ago when he blew his knee out. Getting back to that number would both be huge for the team, and possibly necessary if he doesn't want his minutes cut into. Given how free he is to shoot, even when it looks a little rushed, he must have a green light from Hurley based on how he practices. Just time to consistently get it done.
He has to have a green light to shoot. He'd just be getting cardio out there otherwise.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I want him to pump fake the 3 and drive more. He pump fakes but then steps back for a 3. I think overall our team needs to pump fake and drive a lot more. Very useful skill.
A really good jab step, then up fake and drive would be a nice addition to his arsenal.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He’s made plenty of dunks throughout his career

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom