Tyler Polley 2P% | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley 2P%

Reaction Score
We all know that Tyler Polley is one of our team's best three point shooters. Last year he averaged 42% shooting from 3 on low volume. This year, on higher volume, he is shooting 39%. I wanted to make a thread to point out the improvement in Polley's two-point shooting though.

Last year, for the entire season, Polley attempted 39 two-pointers. He made only 9. That is a dreadful 23%.

This year, through six games, Polley has already made more two-pointers than he made all last season. He is 12 for 22. That is a relatively efficient 54%.

Pretty remarkable improvement from a player with a lot of upside. I would love to see Polley continue to grow more aggressive and efficient from inside the arc. He is already a useful piece for us and it's clear that he will continue to get better and better under Hurley.

Reaction Score
It’s refreshing to see a player develop. Under the KO regime it was almost wishful thinking to ask for development from a player. You’d probably be hard pressed to name a player he coached in his years here that developed another part of their game, defense, etc. We’re not even a year into Hurley’s tenure and he’s already starting to develop a few different kids. It’s nice to see

Reaction Score
Improvement in general has been pretty minimal over the past few years. The last player that I remember really improving was Deandre Daniels. Maybe Shabazz. Maybe Boatright. Kenton Facey improved at the tail end of his career. All the transfers didn't help. It's tough to gauge who's improving when 2 players/year leave. Brimah didn't improve much. Rodney Purvis didn't improve much. DHam left really early. I suspect he didn't see himself improving much. Sorry for turning this into a KO bashing thread, but this season may open our eyes a bit. On how much we were lacking as far as player development. This should probably be a separate thread.

Suddenly we have 2 player (and maybe more) that clearly have improved. Polley looks like a contributor and Cobb lost a ton of weight and is player very good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You're right, no doubt! Just doesn't quite compare to Jalen Adams at 65% from 2 (on 9 attempts per game!!) :eek:
True, but more of Jalen's attempts come closer to the rim.

Reaction Score
Focused on him during the UNH game, feel like he could be a low key NBA prospect by the end of next year if he becomes a bit more assertive. Very smooth in everything he does - the pull up elbow jumper is pretty.

Reaction Score
Sorry for turning this into a KO bashing thread, but this season may open our eyes a bit. On how much we were lacking as far as player development. This should probably be a separate thread.

But it's what it comes back to. There really wasn't a single player that Ollie both recruited and coached for their entirety here who got measurably better under him. He was an insanely bad coach.

This year Polley and Cobb are noticeably better. Vital, Adams and Carlton look improved. the pieces Hurley brought in fit and compliment everyone already here.

It's amazing what actually having a coach can do for a college basketball program.

Reaction Score
It’s refreshing to see a player develop. Under the KO regime it was almost wishful thinking to ask for development from a player. You’d probably be hard pressed to name a player he coached in his years here that developed another part of their game, defense, etc. We’re not even a year into Hurley’s tenure and he’s already starting to develop a few different kids. It’s nice to see

Not this again!!!!

Reaction Score
But it's what it comes back to. There really wasn't a single player that Ollie both recruited and coached for their entirety here who got measurably better under him. He was an insanely bad coach.

This year Polley and Cobb are noticeably better. Vital, Adams and Carlton look improved. the pieces Hurley brought in fit and compliment everyone already here.

It's amazing what actually having a coach can do for a college basketball program.

It's such a lame argument.

Ollie helped bring Boatright here--he was the heir apparent and the recruits that year knew it. Boatright missed half his games his freshman year.

He played 3 years under Ollie. Won a national champiosnhip. He improved in all phases.

You guys are going way out of your way to slag the guy.

There is nothing wrong with saying he was a bad coach, but you don't have to exaggerate it.

Reaction Score
I noticed that Tyler is around the rim getting rebound put backs which would help his 2 percentage. No question that he is becoming quite a solid player. Maybe he and Wilson on the floor at the same time with Carlton or Cobb and 2 guards for "big lineup".

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This was one of the things I was keeping an eye on to improve this year. His percentage last year was so bad that you knew he was going to improve because it just couldn't be that bad again.

Next I'd like to see Alterique improve in the same category. He shot about 36% last year from 2 and is only up to 38% this year. As he learns how to score amongst the trees and make better decisions in the paint that number should go up.

Reaction Score
Reminds me a bit of a poor man's Giffey. The jump shots are falling because he really doesn't take any bad shots and while he may not be the most athletic driver, when the defense gives him those looks, he's not afraid to take it to the basket and is reasonably good at finishing and/or drawing a foul. He's really developed into a nice role player for this team.

Reaction Score

Ollie helped bring Boatright here--he was the heir apparent and the recruits that year knew it. Boatright missed half his games his freshman year.

He played 3 years under Ollie. Won a national champiosnhip. He improved in all phases.

There is nothing wrong with saying he was a bad coach, but you don't have to exaggerate it.
Boatright was a good player when he got here and a good player when he left. He learned the eurostep while here. Frankly, KO and staff did a nice job teaching the euro-step. All our guards did it ok. That said, I think Boatright's improvement was pretty normal. Nothing out of this world, but nothing bad either.

Rodney Purvis is probably a bit more damming for KO. Rodney is an A++ personality with strong desire to improve. Despite his work and solid attitude, none of us thought he had a chance at the NBA when he left. Rodney wasn't much better when he left than when he got to UCONN.

I have not seen Rodney play since he left UCONN, but he's kicking around the summer leagues and I'm under the impression he's been close to making an NBA roster. I have to assume some of the coaching he's received since he left UCONN has helped.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Somewhere between March and November this kid became a man. Really loving his midrange game.

Reaction Score
Polly in his senior year will be a pleasure to watch. He is not a Daniels or Giff. He will continue to develop into his own 3/4 hybrid foward

Reaction Score

Boatright came here when Calhoun was head coach. Ollie helped recruit him. Someone already cut this up for you in another thread, but not a big difference from Junior Year Boat to Senior Year Boat. Great player, just a higher plateau.

But, even if we wanted to just ignore reality and say 'sure, i'll give you Boat' - then literally that's probably it. Almost everyone was a disappointment, plateau'd, bailed, or got better the second they went anywhere else be it another college or the NBA. Like literally almost every player.

So no one's going out of their way to slag him. He stunk. Great dude, great ambassador for UConn basketball for a lot of reasons. Absolutely terrible basketball coach who did a ton of damage to the program and the brand as a whole. Full stop.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Why is Ollie getting mentioned?

Polley will be a good 4-year player and is turning out to be a good zone buster.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Reminds me a bit of a poor man's Giffey. The jump shots are falling because he really doesn't take any bad shots and while he may not be the most athletic driver, when the defense gives him those looks, he's not afraid to take it to the basket and is reasonably good at finishing and/or drawing a foul. He's really developed into a nice role player for this team.

That's not a bad comparison. Hopefully by the end of his tenure he'll be a middle class or even rich man's Giffey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom