Tyler Davis redshirt? | The Boneyard

Tyler Davis redshirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
So the thought occured to me that of the staff wasn't high on Davis, they might have made him available this week. Of course it's also entirely possible that he's just not near ready. Am i reading too much into it? Anybody have any insight?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Tyler Davis is going to redshirt this season. Playing him in a game that we were going to lose anyway this late in the season doesn't make any sense. We tried a conservative approach and hoped to turn them over into some short fields. It didn't work. Assuming that Sheriffs can't play in the bowl (and I don't know if he will or won't), then at least now we have a few weeks to try and implement something else in the bowl game.

Reaction Score
So the thought occured to me that of the staff wasn't high on Davis, they might have made him available this week. Of course it's also entirely possible that he's just not near ready. Am i reading too much into it? Anybody have any insight?

I think you are reading too much into it. If you want to read into something that tells you something about Davis, ask yourself if Anderson would have been moved to FB if they thought he'd be no worse than #3 next year.

Reaction Score
I'm still holding out that Davis is the real deal. If for whatever reason he's not, Williams from this upcoming class should be the guy. I don't think Rose will be the QB of the future, but I could be wrong. He seems like he'd be a great TE, though.

Reaction Score
Also, can we just talk about how good the QBs being brought in by the Diaco staff are compared to the last regime? Obviously Cochran's career was cut short but Shirreffs, Davis, Williams, Rose et. al. seem to be much higher quality than before.

Reaction Score
Think back to when we had to burn Orlavsky's redshirt due to injuries. Not comparing the kid to Dan O, but you always try to save that redshirt. If we had Dan for one more year, no telling what might have happened.

Reaction Score
It would be beyond foolish to burn Davis' redshirt for the Temple game. Bowl game was sealed up.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Not being judggemental, just hypothosizing that if he had TE in his future they might not have hesitated to throw him in the mix.

Reaction Score
Also, can we just talk about how good the QBs being brought in by the Diaco staff are compared to the last regime? Obviously Cochran's career was cut short but Shirreffs, Davis, Williams, Rose et. al. seem to be much higher quality than before.

NO. Not to be a dick but until we get them into camp and I can either see them or at least see reports of what they are doing in practices, I will not assume anything.

Reaction Score
NO. Not to be a dick but until we get them into camp and I can either see them or at least see reports of what they are doing in practices, I will not assume anything.
Agree. Every QB brought in is talked up like the next savior. Please, let's see someone produce before we talk about Diaco's great recruiting. Getting so tired of directional Idaho with better QB production than Uconn. And I agree that Shireffs is better than anyone we put on field in recent past

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I agree and I'm hoping BrS has the job next year but I'd love to know that he had to fight for it and that we're building the kind of depth that means you don't have to build a new offense for QB2.

Reaction Score
I'll disagree. Just look at the offers Williams had. He's probably our most highly touted QB recruit ever.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'll disagree. Just look at the offers Williams had. He's probably our most highly touted QB recruit ever.

You're confusing Williams with Rose. IIRC Williams had only Fordham and JMU offers, which doesn't preclude him from being a good player in the least (our top true frosh, Beals, had no other DI offers).

Another word of caution re. offers: Boyle ended up getting one from UF, so sometimes all is not as it seems...not a knock on J. Rose at all, I think he'll be a fine player. But if indeed he is, it won't be because of who offered him, it'll be because of how he performs.

Reaction Score
You're confusing Williams with Rose. IIRC Williams had only Fordham and JMU offers, which doesn't preclude him from being a good player in the least (our top true frosh, Beals, had no other DI offers).

Another word of caution re. offers: Boyle ended up getting one from UF, so sometimes all is not as it seems...not a knock on J. Rose at all, I think he'll be a fine player. But if indeed he is, it won't be because of who offered him, it'll be because of how he performs.

My mistake - it wasn't offers but interest. All I've read about the kid was that he was the steal of Virginia recruits and from watching his film he's better than anything we've had in a long time.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
My mistake - it wasn't offers but interest. All I've read about the kid was that he was the steal of Virginia recruits and from watching his film he's better than anything we've had in a long time.

No disagreement with that judgement given what we've seen so far. I think that this year's freshmen have shown that Diaco and co. are pretty shrewd evaluators of under the radar talent. However, it all hinges on ability to adapt to the speed and physicality of the college game, with respect to which we'll have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
It won't matter how good any of these up and coming QB's are if they don't start recruiting higher caliber O-linemen and I haven't heard a peep about any coming. That has been the weakest link going back even before the Pasqualoni debacle. One thing about the Temple game...I can't recall any false starts by the O-line so I guess that's an improvement.

Reaction Score
It won't matter how good any of these up and coming QB's are if they don't start recruiting higher caliber O-linemen and I haven't heard a peep about any coming. That has been the weakest link going back even before the Pasqualoni debacle. One thing about the Temple game...I can't recall any false starts by the O-line so I guess that's an improvement.
The Edsall/ Norries Wilson recruited linemen were mainly big recruits (size wise) with potential that were built up with strength and conditioning. It seems like Diaco is going that route. I think another year of conditioning will start to show its effect next year as these underclassmen become upperclassmen. Because of the lack of effective linemen Diaco hasn't had as much of the luxury of red shirting linemen.

Reaction Score
Interesting question. I don't know if I"ve really thought about it before, and if I have, I certainly don't remember the answer.

So - should a player that has not played for the entire regular season, play in bowl game, do they still lose the red-shirt option?

Reaction Score
So - should a player that has not played for the entire regular season, play in bowl game, do they still lose the red-shirt option?

Yes... A player can lose his redshirt if he plays in any game, Regular or post season.

Reaction Score
I have no insight, but my guess is they weren't going to burn a redshirt so late in the year where there was so little at stake (already bowl eligible).
Don't think they burned Chris Lee's on Saturday either... even though they he was on the 1st team depth chart... I didn't see him play, what little of the game I watched. Did anybody else see him play.

back to Tyler Davis. Wouldn't made any sense to play him now... but it'll be interesting to see how far he's come when we see him again in the Spring game in April. Hoping he gives us more to be excited about at the QB position for us...

Reaction Score
Lee has played plenty this year - his shirt is no longer red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member