Tyler Davis moves from QB to TE | The Boneyard

Tyler Davis moves from QB to TE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The way that kid moves, he should be a monster.

I'm a little surprised because I thought he looked okay in the spring game. He just forced the issue a bit much which is not uncommon in back ups.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I hope this is the case, it's likely not.

That's not to say they don't love Williams but you don't move a QB to TE because you love the true freshman that has only been here for a couple of weeks.

As an aside, it seems like we're carrying a combined 50 players at LB and TE.

Agree. BS goes down it could be a very tough season.

I have to believe we are in the market for a QB transfer or JUCO for next season.

Reaction Score
The other snippet that came out over the last 10 months was Bisack - the Walk-on - was better than just a guy wearing a uniform number. Bisack was being talked about in the same breath as Tyler Davis. (and I do think Davis looks great on the field running - and he probably can catch)

UConn does need a good transition to the next QB platform in 2017-2018 timeframe. Both Anderson and Shirreffs (to my eye) are as good as we have had through most of the Post-Orlovsky phase. To be competitive at the level we want, we need a steady recruitment of really solid QBs; this has been a weakness of the BCS/FBS years.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
You can go back one year and read the same posts about Davis.

While that's probably true, Davis didn't have the same profile from a recruiting stand point that Williams did. Williams is almost 1000 spots higher on the 247 composite and was much higher rated than Davis was coming out of HS.

That said I wouldn't be surprised for us to look at a transfer QB either

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The other snippet that came out over the last 10 months was Bisack - the Walk-on - was better than just a guy wearing a uniform number. Bisack was being talked about in the same breath as Tyler Davis. (and I do think Davis looks great on the field running - and he probably can catch)

UConn does need a good transition to the next QB platform in 2017-2018 timeframe. Both Anderson and Shirreffs (to my eye) are as good as we have had through most of the Post-Orlovsky phase. To be competitive at the level we want, we need a steady recruitment of really solid QBs; this has been a weakness of the BCS/FBS years.

Not expecting a ton out of Bisack, but if he's able to contribute over the next few years that's a very good look for recruits from that part of the state.

Reaction Score
While I hope this is the case, it's likely not.

That's not to say they don't love Williams but you don't move a QB to TE because you love the true freshman that has only been here for a couple of weeks.

As an aside, it seems like we're carrying a combined 50 players at LB and TE.
I agree. Coaches didn't get to see Davis and William compete and Davis was holding with Anderson with zero experience on this kind of plartform. He's a competitive monster. Looks like Davis moved over after Northern Iowa transfer TE Billy Williams didn't work out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is a key bit of information.

Many of us were wondering which backup QB Palatine was going to hang his hat on regarding getting more PT during the season. Sometimes we'd have to wait until the second series if the first game.

Now we know UConn would be putting 30+ points up every game if Davis was the QB.

JK. Sorta. Not really. But somewhat.

Reaction Score
While Davis has a great attitude and seems like an easy kid to root for, it's hard to not be concerned about our QB, who likes to run and was knocked out cold in a game last year, being backed up by a true freshman and a guy who played half of last season at fullback.

Reaction Score
Kinda surprised here but it seems like Tight End is a high priority position for us. We have seen QB's move back and forth but I was hoping for some more stability in terms of development and getting a starter who can take 100% of the snaps.

Reaction Score
While Davis has a great attitude and seems like an easy kid to root for, it's hard to not be concerned about our QB, who likes to run and was knocked out cold in a game last year, being backed up by a true freshman and a guy who played half of last season at fullback.

I'm actually feeling good. Anderson has shed some weight and BD says here is a real competition. At worst, that means the drop off would not be huge, with each bringing different advantages. Also, Bilisak (sp?) could be a serviceable #3. Preserving Williams' red shirt is likely also a high priority.

And yes, I continue to love Davis' attitude. RKG.

Reaction Score
And ... just reading the media ramblings ... Tyler Davis isn't locked into the Tight End position. Diaco explicitly stated that Davis is too valuable an athlete to spend two years with a baseball cap holding a sideline phone apparatus. He may return to the QB competition in the near future.

Reaction Score
And ... just reading the media ramblings ... Tyler Davis isn't locked into the Tight End position. Diaco explicitly stated that Davis is too valuable an athlete to spend two years with a baseball cap holding a sideline phone apparatus. He may return to the QB competition in the near future.

If that actually happens we will be in a very bad spot.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I do hope Williams does end up being the guy but I am absolutely baffled by our inability to find a competent QB. We need to find out what Cincinnati has been doing and figure out a way to replicate it. Davis, with all of the accolades we heard and a year plus in the system (I seem to remember him graduating early and enrolling in spring 2015) did not look like a QB in the spring game this past April. The few QBs we've had lost DanO that were somewhat capable all got hurt before they could accomplish more than a partial season.

Reaction Score
If that actually happens we will be in a very bad spot.

I think Diaco (unlike PP and Edsall) has evolved us into a more modern QB position. One that has many guys that can actually look like a real Saturday QB; maybe once or twice a decade bring in a Star. We don't have to be like Cincinnati that had lots of kids rise to a top level; we do need to be highly competent. Davis has the capacity - imho - to be quite good; but, not a certainty even be the Shirreffs level. For me, I like Garret Anderson's attitude ... so I am willing to buy into the new press on his ability.

We need Donovan Williams and the future QB recruits to be good. We have had far too much iffy recruiting at this position.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If we lose Shirreffs for any extendrd period of time, were screwed beyond belief.

Our back up last year was Tim Boyle, who played ahead of Anderson who was switched to full back, who was ahead of RS Davis, who has been moved to TE.

More than anything we need to keep Shirreffs upright and make sure he doesn't take too many big hits running the ball.

Reaction Score
If we lose Shirreffs for any extendrd period of time, were screwed beyond belief.

Our back up last year was Tim Boyle, who played ahead of Anderson who was switched to full back, who was ahead of RS Davis, who has been moved to TE.

More than anything we need to keep Shirreffs upright and make sure he doesn't take too many big hits running the ball.

This is my take as well. And we better hope that Williams can play as well. Do we have a QB committed yet for next year?

Reaction Score
While that's probably true, Davis didn't have the same profile from a recruiting stand point that Williams did. Williams is almost 1000 spots higher on the 247 composite and was much higher rated than Davis was coming out of HS.

That said I wouldn't be surprised for us to look at a transfer QB either

I don't take those recruiting rankings seriously one bit. And neither should anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom