Two weeks out from the first exhibition game | The Boneyard

Two weeks out from the first exhibition game

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Mon., Oct. 30 vs.
merr-sm.png
Merrimack # Hartford, Conn. - XL Center 7:00 p.m.

Can't wait for the season to finally begin. We have a deep team and a lot to prove. Should be an exciting season.

Starting lineup prediction

Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, Diarra/Williams, Onuorah

Reaction Score
Seeing how Larrier and Gilbert perform after injuries and taking just about a full season off is the the other major question.
I think this is most important. Hopefully they can both truly go 100% without fear of further injury. We need both of them healthy to have any real chance this year. If not, the performance of the front court is moot.

Reaction Score
I don’t have anxiety over Gilbert and Larrier. They have been in pretty heavy duty scrimmages without problem so far right? Can’t go through life scared. My anxiety is the frontcourt.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I don’t have anxiety over Gilbert and Larrier. They have been in pretty heavy duty scrimmages without problem so far right? Can’t go through life scared. My anxiety is the frontcourt.

Not so worried about larriers knee. but Gilberts shoulder scares me.

Reaction Score
I'm not worried about them getting hurt again, although I can see that being a concern. I'm concerned about how they'll play after injuries and taking a year (Larrier 2 years) off. Will they play just like they did before they got hurt? Will it take them a while to get back to that level? Or won't we see them at their best this season?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I know it's exhibition and doesn't count and the competition isn't there but I am looking forward to seeing what we have in the frontcourt, because that's about the only question, isn't it?
How about, can we a run a freaking offense?

Our offense has SUCKED for the last 3 seasons, specifically since one Shabazz Napier.

There are no excuses now (barring injury). We have the two-headed monster in the backcourt, a legitimate stretch forward in Larrier, and a full team with depth. It's time to put it all together. Adams is an upperclassmen.

No excuses now. Let's go Jalen. Let's go KO.

Reaction Score
One could even argue that Shabazz's ability to hit circus shots masked a similarly poor offense back then.
Bazz would get streaky and that erases a lot of mistakes and droughts, but If our guards are an issue, we are in deep doo doo.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We need to bring the press back which results in the run and gun offense.

Reaction Score
Was anyone else taken back by Ollie's comments on Media Day? He almost made it seem like this team is a massive work-in-progress.

“I’m teaching guys how to jump to the ball right now,” sixth-year head coach Kevin Ollie said. “I’m really not concerned about who’s fifth or sixth or first. I’m trying to teach these guys the basics of basketball.”

Ollie is always conservative with the media but that didn't exactly inspire a ton of confidence.

Reaction Score
This article on Larrier, with quotes from A.J. Price about his experience, shows how tricky it is to come back after an ACL tear. Physically you should be fine but that doesn't mean you come back and are what you were right away.

UConn coach Kevin Ollie said that Larrier has looked “OK” in early practices, adding “nobody’s looking great right now.” He figures the more Larrier plays and gets back in the grind against top competition, he’ll be back to his old self.

Really, Ollie added, the biggest concern for Larrier might be rust. Larrier had to sit out the entire 2015-16 season after transferring from VCU, then played just 3 1/2 games last season before the injury.

“He hasn’t played in pretty much two years, so it’s gonna take time,” Ollie said. “We’re not just gonna have him come back and be an All-American. He’s gonna take his time. I want him to fight through the struggles, fight through the times where he felt like giving up. That’s the time where I think he’s gonna separate himself.”

A.J. Price: UConn’s Terry Larrier must get over mental hurdle of ACL tear

Reaction Score
Larrier has one more year left right? Is there any chance he comes back if he does not have an amazing year?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Larrier has one more year left right? Is there any chance he comes back if he does not have an amazing year?
Let's hope that's not the case. Lol
But I recall he sent out a snapchat earlier this summer with a picture of his jersey saying "One more go at it" or something like that.
I think it's highly unlikely he will be back after next season, unless something crazy happens.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom