two questions just for out of box haha's | The Boneyard

two questions just for out of box haha's

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
1) if Randy was our coach this year, would we be better, worse or the same?

2) if a great coach like U Meyers was coaching and had the exact same roster, we he be 4-6?

willie99

Reaction Score
I think RE would be about to 6-4

I think UM would be something like 9-1

yes, I think coaches can make a significant difference

willie99

Reaction Score
PS: I know we would never land an Urban Meyers after he became an Urban Meyers. But he started at Bowling Green. I'm just interested in pointing out differences a coach can make

PS II: pure speculation on my part, I can't prove it

Reaction Score
I think RE would be about to 6-4

I think UM would be something like 9-1

yes, I think coaches can make a significant difference

Who would the 9-1 coach start at QB? What about the 6-4 coach?

I thought new coaches always caused confusion, learning curve and poor results the 1st year? :D The last question is for the "what do you expect in the 1st year from a new coach with only 40 years of coaching experience" crowd.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Randy would be 5-5 or 4-6. He would have upset Vandy (who was not good early on in the year with Larry Smith), but I'm not sure he would have beaten Syracuse; he may have been too stubborn to put in McCummings in the 2nd half.

A top notch staff would have a 6-4 or 7-3 record with this team. A horrible staff (Kragthorpe, Robinson) would be 2-8. Simply put, we are a really flawed team with little depth, bad QB's and awful receivers. We have some very good players, but so does almost everyone.

BTW, I must give a shoutout to Louisville. Strong is working with Sun Belt talent and has squeezed everything he can out of it. He is an excellent coach. Their corners were both as bad as Wilburn though; they still have talent issues.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Any coach would have the same challenges - QB's that aren't reliable passers, WR's that aren't reliable catchers. I'd give King Randy maybe 1 more win. UM, if he's lucky, maybe two more wins. But lack of talent is still lack of talent.

Reaction Score
Was at the Vandy game and would have to think that Randy's conservative approach would have won that game. However the blocked punt was the turning point was a key UConn score and I don't remember many of those in the Edsall era. Don't think Edsall would have made a huge difference against W. Mich and he may have squeeked out a win against Iowa St. However, he also would have laid a serious egg against either a Syracuse or USF. To be honest, I think this was a .500 team + or - one game and that seems to be how the season has played out, regardless of the coach.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I have a hard time thinking RE loses the games to Vandy, Iowa St., Western Michigan, or Louisville, but would likely have lost one of those, so I think we's be sitting at 7-3 (2-3,or 3-2). I feel the running game would be better in that we'd have close to two 1,000 yd backs. I also think our defense, would have been more conservate and not given up as many big plays by being caught in blitzes.

As for a top tier coach, like Meyer, we still be in the 7-3/8-2 range, but feel much better about next years.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I'd have Edsall around 6-4 right now (7-3 at best). Urban would be the same with this team. The difference would be that McCummings would be the primary QB running the ball almost exclusively. The defense would likely suck, and Urban's lack of interest in recruiting linemen would hurt long term.

Reaction Score
I'd think we'd be somewhat better with Meyer. I think our defense wouldn't be so porous. Not sure about Randy Esdall, we may have a few more wins given that he knew the team better than PP did this year. But I really think there's been a lot of misfortune for UConn this year. Lyle McCombs has been one of the very very few bright stars on offense. We're pathetically inept at quarterback. And ultimately, this team is only as good as it's quarterback.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time thinking RE loses the games to Vandy, Iowa St., Western Michigan, or Louisville, but would likely have lost one of those, so I think we's be sitting at 7-3 (2-3,or 3-2). I feel the running game would be better in that we'd have close to two 1,000 yd backs. I also think our defense, would have been more conservate and not given up as many big plays by being caught in blitzes.

As for a top tier coach, like Meyer, we still be in the 7-3/8-2 range, but feel much better about next years.

Who would be another 1000 yard back???

Reaction Score
5-5 with Randy, 7-3 with Meyer (mainly due to how jacked-up players would be knowing he was our coach)

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I actually think we'd be better with Edsall than Meyer this year because of the continuity of the coach and system. No one knew the strengths and weaknesses of our players better than Edsall. (For example, it drove me crazy last year that we blitzed so seldom and played our CBs 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. The early part of this season demonstrated exactly what happens when we don't do that.) Under Edsall, we win Vandy and Western Michigan right now and are 6-4.

The good news is this coaching staff has shown real signs of growth. And DeLeone in particular has impressed me more and more as the season goes on. He's really shown an ability to tailor plays to our opponents and he absolutely put on a clinic Saturday in my opinion. We lost on Saturday despite -- not because of -- the coaching.

Reaction Score
PS: I know we would never land an Urban Meyers after he became an Urban Meyers. But he started at Bowling Green. I'm just interested in pointing out differences a coach can make

but would you want 2-3 years of the "next Urban Meyer" that is destined to leave when he gets us halfway decent, causing us to then start over? in the big picture Bowling Green is really no different now than before he got there. you could almost say the same for Utah, although Whittingham has done a solid job there. personally i'd rather the guys we have that IMO do things well, and are more likely to be part of actually building something other than their own resumes. i think if our WRs held on to even half of their easy drops last Sat we'd be talking about how well Deleone's offense is developing and maybe wondering how he would have done with last year's team.

Reaction Score
I think you guys highly overrated Meyer. Also, he coached some of the most thuggish teams in CFB history. I'd take Edsall back 10 times out of 10 over Meyer.

Ahhh . . . NO!!!!!! Seriously??? UConn would have maybe done slightly but under Edsall, but his lack of solid recruiting was gonna catch up to him as the program moved forward. He just got out of Dodge before it happened (NO QBs, no RB's, ineffective WR's, etc.). Meyers coming from Florida? Program would have taken off. The Meyers coming from Bowling Green back in the day? He'd have taken this program further too. McGee out of Arkansas last year was someone that I thought could have done this for UConn. He'd have brought a new offensive paradigm to UConn that would have been exciting, IMO (not that UConn's high octane, "don't leave your seat" offense hasn't already done that).

Reaction Score
We would be 10-0 with anyone not named Paul Pasqualoni.

Does that make you guys happy? He's our coach for the next 2 years minimum. People need to get over that and accept it.

Reaction Score
We would be 10-0 with anyone not named Paul Pasqualoni.

Does that make you guys happy? He's our coach for the next 2 years minimum. People need to get over that and accept it.[/quote

Then people better be willing to accept a big fall off. It'd be like UConn basketball going back to the Dom Perno Days.

Reaction Score
I think Edsall would be 6-4, in part because we'd have beaten Vanderbilt and Western Michigan, we wouldn't have had the learning curve on defense and we'd have had an experienced running back, since I don't think Frey transfers. If he were carring the load with McCombs I think we'd just Randy's standard offense and be done with it. There is a lot to be said for continuity, knowing what is expected and how to do things and I think that's worth 2 wins.

Urban Meyer, I'm not sure we'd be much better. While I agree that coaching makes a difference, and he is a real good coach, we have too many holes this year. If he got us to 7-3, he'd be doing a very good job.

willie99

Reaction Score
I do root for the team each and every game day

just like I did when I was in the half empty HCC watching Perno's teams lose

just like I did when football was trying to make the 1AA playoffs

doesn't mean I have to be happy with the coach

sorry

and I never once didn't support every kid playing for us while the game was being played

although I did walk out of the Xcel center one time, vs Cinci when they got 5 offensive rebounds in a row during the 09/10 season

Jax Husky

Reaction Score

Meyer ain't without Tim Tebow. He is not as great a recruiter as people seem to think. Go look at Florida's OLine and Runninb Backs? Their fans are pissed. He was smoke and mirrors, and it worked because of Tim Tebow. Also, part of my statement about taking Meyer over Edsall was for the type of thug pieces of that Meyer is ok with bringing to the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom