Two observations from the Loyola, er, St. Francis game | The Boneyard

Two observations from the Loyola, er, St. Francis game

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I did a double take when I first saw the turnover number for St. Francis. Only eighteen! Transposing that to a game with a normal amount of possessions that's more like 10-12, excellent for a mid-major playing uptempo ball against an elite major. But then it occurred to me they essentially played with an 8 second shot clock, there wasn't a lot of time for a turnover to happen. But then it occurred to me they never deviated from that strategy, UConn knew what to expect, yet St. Francis still carried out their game plan in pretty much all respects except making their shots.

That was a disciplined effort by St. Francis; a different kind of discipline albeit, but one that still reflects coaching and execution, not to mention hard work. If our players were voicing the opinion of getting tired in the first quarter you can bet theirs were as well, yet they still worked hard at executing their plan.

The second observation was the lack of regret by the St. Francis players in the post game presser. We understandably view this from a fan's point of view, but the most important view is, or should be, the student athlete. Rather than being embarrassed as so many fans proclaimed is what they felt, they proclaimed they had fun! They played the way they were coached, a style they presumably enjoyed all the way to a conference championship. They were grateful both for being in the tournament, never a given for a mid-major, and for playing an uptempo game in which they actually put over 50 points up on the board.

They only made 10 - 57 threes. You can not expect them to make enough to win or even enough to make the game close. But let's say they had a respectable and reasonable conversion of 20 - 57. Now the margin is under sixty, in an uptempo game where margins would be exaggerated anyways, better than what elite major Mississippi State did when they first went against us in the tournament.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Often, their is criticism of our 3pt defense but I think something as simple as hard contesting really wears down an opponent. Even if we are too far away at the time of the shot , there is always an effort to jump out to the 3 pt shooter. Even if a few are made, it speeds the opponent up and gets in their head. Everything is contested. Nothing easy. :)

Reaction Score
I did a double take when I first saw the turnover number for St. Francis. Only eighteen! Transposing that to a game with a normal amount of possessions that's more like 10-12, excellent for a mid-major playing uptempo ball against an elite major. But then it occurred to me they essentially played with an 8 second shot clock, there wasn't a lot of time for a turnover to happen. But then it occurred to me they never deviated from that strategy, UConn knew what to expect, yet St. Francis still carried out their game plan in pretty much all respects except making their shots.

That was a disciplined effort by St. Francis; a different kind of discipline albeit, but one that still reflects coaching and execution, not to mention hard work. If our players were voicing the opinion of getting tired in the first quarter you can bet theirs were as well, yet they still worked hard at executing their plan.

The second observation was the lack of regret by the St. Francis players in the post game presser. We understandably view this from a fan's point of view, but the most important view is, or should be, the student athlete. Rather than being embarrassed as so many fans proclaimed is what they felt, they proclaimed they had fun! They played the way they were coached, a style they presumably enjoyed all the way to a conference championship. They were grateful both for being in the tournament, never a given for a mid-major, and for playing an uptempo game in which they actually put over 50 points up on the board.

They only made 10 - 57 threes. You can not expect them to make enough to win or even enough to make the game close. But let's say they had a respectable and reasonable conversion of 20 - 57. Now the margin is under sixty, in an uptempo game where margins would be exaggerated anyways, better than what elite major Mississippi State did when they first went against us in the tournament.
I very much like your comments on the “different kind of discipline” shown by the St Francis players. I’m not, however , totally in concert with your second observation. The pre-game presser was filled with questions that seemed to elicit homage to UConn from the SF players. ( I believe there may have been one centered on asking about the good season that just went through). For us now to ask that they show remorse for their performance against an acknowledged superior opponent , may be asking a bit too much. Granted, as you say, we see if from the fan’s point of view rather than the players..... who have a deeper, longer lasting interest in the result. Just saying.

Reaction Score
I very much like your comments on the “different kind of discipline” shown by the St Francis players. I’m not, however , totally in concert with your second observation. The pre-game presser was filled with questions that seemed to elicit homage to UConn from the SF players. ( I believe there may have been one centered on asking about the good season that just went through). For us now to ask that they show remorse for their performance against an acknowledged superior opponent , may be asking a bit too much. Granted, as you say, we see if from the fan’s point of view rather than the players..... who have a deeper, longer lasting interest in the result. Just saying.
Read the very smart comments of the OP again. I think you've misinterpreted diggerfoot's intention on point #2: to paraphrase the Little Sparrow, they didn't regret anything.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jessica Savitch their best 3pt scorer (2nd in the nation?) was shut down by our best defender Kia Nurse. That's why SF only made 10-57 threes. And the rest is history.
It was Jessica Kovatch. Jessica Savitch was a popular newscaster in Philly who had some national exposure and met an untimely demise in New Hope, Pa. ;)

Reaction Score
It was Jessica Kovatch. Jessica Savitch was a popular newscaster in Philly who had some national exposure and met an untimely demise in New Hope, Pa. ;)
Thanks. Couldn't remember names.

Reaction Score

I agree and applaud their effort and enthusiasm during the game. They executed their game plan well and had fun. What the heck more do you want?

While they probably had to rush their offense, more than they were comfortable with, they did consistently get off a shot and on a few occasions made some very nifty passes.

As to the coach, I’ve read a number of posts that knock him for not developing an alternative plan to playing the big dogs, which I believe are off base. As they mentioned a number of times during the game he has taken a program that won six games total the year prior to his beginning, and had 24 wins this year. Clearly he has a winning scheme for their league, why should he change once they get to the dance? The most important accolade he deserves is a coach whose team exceeded their expectations and had fun. Good for him!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Not quite sure where you are heading with this, or if I'm misinterpreting you, or if you're misinterpreting me. The player I believe named Maya used the word "fun" in the post game presser. I have no reason to doubt she meant that, her facial expression looked consistent with that word choice, and it would be an odd word used for spin otherwise. To think she meant anything but having "fun" when saying "fun," might be overthinking things.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Jessica Kovatch their best 3pt scorer (2nd in the nation?) was shut down by our best defender Kia Nurse. That's why SF only made 10-57 threes. And the rest is history.

Nurse does a great job at denial; that was evident with Kovatch. I doubt she took even a fifth of those 57 threes. Factoring that one player out, the rest of the team probably needed to shoot closer to 40% to make 20 - 57 overall. Not average, but not lights out either. I think both our defense and they had a bad shooting night were factors.

Reaction Score
Jessica Kovatch their best 3pt scorer (2nd in the nation?) was shut down by our best defender Kia Nurse. That's why SF only made 10-57 threes. And the rest is history.
I really liked watching Kovatch play. True, she met her match in Kia and the rest of UConn's D. But she kept playing hard, including pressing on defense in the the third quarter, picking Kia's pocket on one occasion and getting her first points on a transition layup.

Reaction Score
Nurse does a great job at denial; that was evident with Kovatch. I doubt she took even a fifth of those 57 threes. Factoring that one player out, the rest of the team probably needed to shoot closer to 40% to make 20 - 57 overall. Not average, but not lights out either. I think both our defense and they had a bad shooting night were factors.

I went to the box score:
Kovatch M 29 FG 3-14 FT 0 RB 2 A 2 PF 1 PT 9

Reaction Score
Rather than being embarrassed as so many fans proclaimed is what they felt, they proclaimed they had fun! They played the way they were coached, a style they presumably enjoyed all the way to a conference championship. They were grateful both for being in the tournament, never a given for a mid-major, and for playing an uptempo game in which they actually put over 50 points up on the board.
I think you are right, or at least would like to think so. Having now seen St.F.'s starters, I think it is safe to say that there is simply no way they could ever really have a chance against UConn. In that event, you may as well go with your strengths and fire away. Even if you know you are going to lose, you may as well have fun and make it memorable. And so they did, breaking the tournament record for most 3s attempted. What the heck. Now those players are all a part of history and have a story to tell. Not sure the starters for Albany (2017), Robert Morris (2016), St.F Brooklyn (2015), etc. can say the same.

Reaction Score
That was a disciplined effort by St. Francis; a different kind of discipline albeit, but one that still reflects coaching and execution, not to mention hard work. The second observation was the lack of regret by the St. Francis players in the post game presser. Rather than being embarrassed as so many fans proclaimed is what they felt, they proclaimed they had fun!

Triple like! Yes, these are the points to take away here! Good kids, really great kids, great effort and executed plan, and had fun, a lot of fun! They came to the altar of UCONN and were awed and played with beauty and courage. What more do we want. Wins come from all the above!:cool::cool::cool:

Reaction Score
Read the very smart comments of the OP again. I think you've misinterpreted diggerfoot's intention on point #2: to paraphrase the Little Sparrow, they didn't regret anything.
Agree. My apologies to diggerfoot for jumping over some of his explantation.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Kovatch entered the game averaging 24.9 PPG while leading the nation in 3-point scoring. She had nine points and went 0-7 from beyond the arc. This is why Kia Nurse deserves to be an All-American.

Your point is spot on! Unfortunately, the AA selection committee members only recognize excellence on the offensive end of the floor. Kia has consistently shown the ability to throw a blanket over an opponent's leading scorer. If you can score 25 ppg, you're a first team AA. If you can shut down a player that averages 25 ppg to 1-2 baskets, it goes unnoticed ( except by the two coaches), and unrewarded. Isn't it interesting that a basketball court has two identical ends, but a player's "bones" can only be made on one end for AA consideration. :confused:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Your point is spot on! Unfortunately, the AA selection committee members only recognize excellence on the offensive end of the floor. Kia has consistently shown the ability to throw a blanket over an opponent's leading scorer. If you can score 25 ppg, you're a first team AA. If you can shut down a player that averages 25 ppg to 1-2 baskets, it goes unnoticed ( except by the two coaches), and unrewarded. Isn't it interesting that a basketball court has two identical ends, but a player's "bones" can only be made on one end for AA consideration. :confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Gabby get AA status by winning the NDPOY last year?Head bang:oops::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Gabby get AA status by winning the NDPOY last year?Head bang:oops::rolleyes:
That is partly true. Gabby also had ESPN announcers constantly praising her defense and athleticism.

Reaction Score
That is partly true. Gabby also had ESPN announcers constantly praising her defense and athleticism.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Just making 10 more of their three point shot attempts and the Media/Fans are having a different discussion about St Francis and how UConn is bad for WBB. Sure it would still be a blow out win, but not any different then other games UConn has played against unranked opponents. Also the score would have been similar to other games involving the Top seeds.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kovatch entered the game averaging 24.9 PPG while leading the nation in 3-point scoring. She had nine points and went 0-7 from beyond the arc. This is why Kia Nurse deserves to be an All-American.
I agree totally. Kia shut her down. Early in the season, Kia shut out Kitija Laksa.

BTW, Kovatch holds the single-season record for 3-pointers made at 140, having passed Brianna Butler's mark of 129. Kia Nurse didn't let her get to 141.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom