Two Musings | The Boneyard

Two Musings

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Last night we outscored MD by 13 in the first half, which is about what I would expect, but only by 2 in the second. I think one of the key differences between the halves was Dolson. I mentioned elsewhere I think her defensive footwork is reminiscent of Okafor and I saw that in the first half. In the second half both her footwork and shot slipped a little bit, though her footwork was still good. I think Maryland had a lot to do with the difference. It seemed at the start of the game we broadcasted that we were going to work through Dolson. Maryland responded with "Oh yeah?" I think they made life miserable for her; I don't mean that in a "dirty players" way, but they really focused on muscling her and wearing her down. This is where a more experienced/developed Stewart, Stokes or perhaps Tuck might help to divert more of that muscling. I don't argue with minutes given Dolson, she is in shape for it now. Yet more minutes of an effective line-up with Stokes and particularly Stewart at center can only help down the road. I'm sure that time will come.

The second observation is how Doty and Hartley bring different things to the table. Doty does a little better at helping others do their thing. Her sophomore season I thought she was the best entry passer on the team and my assessment of that skill has not diminished for this season. On the other hand Hartley is more willing to take over a game, though right now she still needs some catching up to do. If I was Auriemma (and aren't you all glad I'm not?) I'd keep my starting line-up a little flexible, assessing the relative needs of Doty's stabilizing influence for how we want to start any particular game.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Last night we outscored MD by 13 in the first half, which is about what I would expect, but only by 2 in the second. I think one of the key differences between the halves was Dolson. I mentioned elsewhere I think her defensive footwork is reminiscent of Okafor and I saw that in the first half. In the second half both her footwork and shot slipped a little bit, though her footwork was still good. I think Maryland had a lot to do with the difference. It seemed at the start of the game we broadcasted that we were going to work through Dolson. Maryland responded with "Oh yeah?" I think they made life miserable for her; I don't mean that in a "dirty players" way, but they really focused on muscling her and wearing her down. This is where a more experienced/developed Stewart, Stokes or perhaps Tuck might help to divert more of that muscling. I don't argue with minutes given Dolson, she is in shape for it now. Yet more minutes of an effective line-up with Stokes and particularly Stewart at center can only help down the road. I'm sure that time will come.

Yeah, real good point. It was disappointing, but they'll learn. Meanwhile, it also makes Stef's strong play even more impressive.
The second observation is how Doty and Hartley bring different things to the table. Doty does a little better at helping others do their thing. Her sophomore season I thought she was the best entry passer on the team ...

Forget Kelly? This is another virtue for which she doesn't get a lot of attention. ... It's also the area where most of her TO come, it seems. Kelly's long upcourt heaves are fantastic, though.

... and my assessment of that skill has not diminished for this season. On the other hand Hartley is more willing to take over a game, though right now she still needs some catching up to do. If I was Auriemma (and aren't you all glad I'm not?) I'd keep my starting line-up a little flexible, assessing the relative needs of Doty's stabilizing influence for how we want to start any particular game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom