Two Award Winning Guards to Understudy when Paige and Nika are Seniors | The Boneyard

Two Award Winning Guards to Understudy when Paige and Nika are Seniors

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score

Both do play the point hence are keys to running the team when those two graduate.
Great thought. Any incoming Freshman has never had the examples to follow as those on this years team. OH, yes, Uconn has many many many greats. But this team had exceptional written on the front of every uniform in every game.
Think of the 9 that played. Think of the results had one of them not produced beyond belief? The STARTING 9--what team has that? Geno did! Pick the position each has an exceptional human being. Evina said it: Because we love each other. Now, I'm the negative kind and that phrase normally curls my bald scalp. I tear up over Evina's words. They are so true. To be a newcomer on this team has to be a privilege, to walk in the shadows of so many "givers". Amazing.

Reaction Score
Great thought. Any incoming Freshman has never had the examples to follow as those on this years team. OH, yes, Uconn has many many many greats. But this team had exceptional written on the front of every uniform in every game.
Think of the 9 that played. Think of the results had one of them not produced beyond belief? The STARTING 9--what team has that? Geno did! Pick the position each has an exceptional human being. Evina said it: Because we love each other. Now, I'm the negative kind and that phrase normally curls my bald scalp. I tear up over Evina's words. They are so true. To be a newcomer on this team has to be a privilege, to walk in the shadows of so many "givers". Amazing.
Momma E has had something to do with that, too.....

Reaction Score
Shade does not play point guard.
I guess the article I saw elsewhere wasn't telling the truth? No matter, at least one of them does but if the other can play there like Bria (who wasn't truly a PG), that would be good enough.

UConn women’s basketball’s class of 2023 added a second member on Wednesday when Ashlynn Shade, a point guard rated by ESPN as the No. 5 player in the class, announced her commitment to the Huskies. She’s the second 2023 prospect to pick UConn, joining KK Arnold, a guard who’s the No. 8 player

(Daniel Connolly, UConn WBB Weekly, 1/12)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
still waiting on another guard in that class who's the number one ranked player for 2023............
Mikayla Williams? Ah, definitely have room in the usual guard space Geno reserves in recruiting.....if she comes in, they will have an excellent core for another NC run after Azzi, Caroline and Amari graduate.

Playing time? Definitely available from Year 1 since Caroline can play wing and so can she.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mikayla Williams? Ah, definitely have room in the usual guard space Geno reserves in recruiting.....if she comes in, they will have an excellent core for another NC run after Azzi, Caroline and Amari graduate.
Playing time? Definitely available from Year 1 since Caroline can play wing and so can she.
Keep in mind that Paige is WNBA eligible in the spring of 2023.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Paige is WNBA eligible in the spring of 2023.
Do you think she will go and forego that last year she can play with the star guard she recruited? Actually, she has an extra year of eligibility but I don't think she will take that option.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do you think she will go and forego that last year she can play with the star guard she recruited? Actually, she has an extra year of eligibility but I don't think she will take that option.
I'm not sure what Paige will do. I'm just pointing out that she has an option to go to WNBA. BTW Mikayla Williams is not going to have to worry about playing time regardless of where she goes to school and that definitely includes UCONN.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I guess the article I saw elsewhere wasn't telling the truth? No matter, at least one of them does but if the other can play there like Bria (who wasn't truly a PG), that would be good enough.

UConn women’s basketball’s class of 2023 added a second member on Wednesday when Ashlynn Shade, a point guard rated by ESPN as the No. 5 player in the class, announced her commitment to the Huskies. She’s the second 2023 prospect to pick UConn, joining KK Arnold Arnold, a guard who’s the No. 8 player

(Daniel Connolly, UConn WBB Weekly, 1/12)

That's due to ESPN labeling her a PG as does at least one other outlet. But trust me on this, she'll play the 2-guard and possibly some wing at UConn.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what Paige will do. I'm just pointing out that she has an option to go to WNBA. BTW Mikayla Williams is not going to have to worry about playing time regardless of where she goes to school and that definitely includes UCONN.
Hopefully Paige will play in 24, but there is another thing that may persuade her to leave in 23. The next Olympics is in 24 and she may leave to put in a full year in the W as an audition for Cheryl Reeve. She may lose out on the numbers game for a spot on that team though, so maybe she will learn that and just stay and finish off her business here. I think the second scenario is best for all.

Reaction Score
I think one of the things about Paige being Paige is that she is loyal to the commitments she makes, especially to her best friend, Azzi. I would wager that she will run the course of her 4th year to chase after another NC with Azzi.

I am thinking that they shall have won at least one together by then.

As for the possibility of the Olympics? I think she will pull a Diana and try out right after graduation, if invited (I think she will be).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are probably many elements in play here, but among them is money. Paige has the luxury of making a large income as things are. Hanging around here isn't the financial sacrifice it was in the pre-NIL days.
The kind of salaries and overseas options in the professional ranks are in flux. Note that America's women's soccer team just got parity with the men. That' will never happen between the W and the NBA, but there is a trend to increase compensation across women's sports.
Mention was made of Nika and her options, similar to the situation with Dorka. I refer to the war overseas, which has disrupted the international sports markets with unknown repercussions yet to come. We are a period of great change, the shape of which we cannot fathom.

Reaction Score
still waiting on another guard in that class who's the number one ranked player for 2023............
Since you brought her up (name not needed), if you can only get one more, would you want her or Ms. Toomey?

I know, you want both but IF only one?

Reaction Score
Since you brought her up (name not needed), if you can only get one more, would you want her or Ms. Toomey?

I know, you want both but IF only one?
that's a really tough one............Williams is likely the most talented player in the class and I believe the last time I answered that question I picked her but that was before Shade committed........since UConn will have two pretty good shooters committed in the back court I'm going to switch my vote to Toomey because size matters........

Last edited:
Reaction Score
that's a really tough one............Williams is likely the most talented player in the class and I believe the last time I answered that question I picked her but that was before Shade committed........since UConn will have two pretty good shooters committed in the back court I'm going to switch my vote to Toomey because size matters........
OK, a little fun here. Whether Williams or Toomey, coming in 2023, you would still have Piath for one, Amari for two years and Isuneh & Ayanna for three. Including wing, you have Paige & Nika for 1, Aubrey may be gone or 1, Azzi and Caroline for two. Assuming the four bigs develop enough to complement the topnotch guard and wing play available, with two guards in who may not contribute much their first year but the team looks like it still has a great chance for a run to the NC.....the question is, who would help more, considering it takes a little longer for a big to catch to the system?

We have an 11-day pause in the action so, a little speculation fun.

If Williams is as good as you think she is, playing the wing behind Caroline (though Ayanna can slide over there) might add more to solidify an NC run, especially if she is speedy.....

Reaction Score
. BTW Mikayla Williams is not going to have to worry about playing time regardless of where she goes to school and that definitely includes UCONN.
Double Amen. No worries at all for Mikayla--I don't care who you have playing the guard tandem at your place, with possible exception of Golden State, lol...

Reaction Score
Boy, thère's another thread coming down the line.
Well Paige's early departure to the WNBA is a possibility in 2023, although with all her NIL proceeds I daresay that it wouldn't because of financial gain.

Reaction Score
Shade does not play point guard.
What Shade played during her junior year in HS bears little relationship to where she will play for Geno. In the state championship game, Shade ( at 5'10") played in the paint most of the time. She would be fed the ball and then hit fade away jump shots. She also was all over the court, once her team secured an offensive rebound. She led on fast breaks, she created offensive opportunities from every location on the floor. So, I think it is pre-mature to forecast what she will do at UCONN. Though it certainly seems true she will be a guard of one sort or the other. But she can be a wing at times as well. It is safe to say she won't be in the paint. Not as a regular thing.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What Shade played during her junior year in HS bears little relationship to where she will play for Geno. In the state championship game, Shade ( at 5'10") played in the paint most of the time. She would be fed the ball and then hit fade away jump shots. She also was all over the court, once her team secured an offensive rebound. She led on fast breaks, she created offensive opportunities from every location on the floor. So, I think it is pre-mature to forecast what she will do at UCONN. Though it certainly seems true she will be a guard of one sort or the other. But she can be a wing at times as well. It is safe to say she won't be in the paint. Not as a regular thing.

I stand by comment. She'll play 2-guard and continue to post up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom