Two Additional Thoughts about the Iona | The Boneyard

Two Additional Thoughts about the Iona

Reaction Score
1. After what looked to be an "I don't give a damn" effort against Maine, it was nice to see Josh Carlton come out last night and decide "I am going to be a man." I have said it before and I'll say it again -- I understand Carlton is not an explosive athlete, but if he simply plays to his potential most nights, this is going to be a very good team. And, unlike every other player, no one else can give us what he gives us.

2. It's nice to have 6 guys who can give you double figure points, hoping that we'll soon have a 7th in Akok, because it means if you have a night where one is invisible (Bouknight) and one plays horrifically (Adams), you still have enough other places you can look to for points. The last time we could say that, not surprisingly, was the last year we went to the NCAAs.

I don't think we beat Indiana if they play as well as they did against FSU. Having said that, I will be disappointed if they shoot lights out like that against our defense, and this game means more to us than it does to them. Let's see what happens.

Reaction Score
Right about Josh. He’s not making highlight reels but he can score from close in a number of ways with tip backs and layups to the foul line. Indispensable player on this team.

Reaction Score
As good as Indiana shot it the other night, the difference in that game was FTs. Indiana was 23/38 from the line, while FSU was 7/16. That's the spread in the game.

Let's see how Indiana plays on the road this weekend against a struggling Wisconsin team.

I was just saying that I like that we have played multiple games in MSG the last couple of years. Most of our guys have some experience there. Indiana won't.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
1. After what looked to be an "I don't give a damn" effort against Maine, it was nice to see Josh Carlton come out last night and decide "I am going to be a man." I have said it before and I'll say it again -- I understand Carlton is not an explosive athlete, but if he simply plays to his potential most nights, this is going to be a very good team. And, unlike every other player, no one else can give us what he gives us.

2. It's nice to have 6 guys who can give you double figure points, hoping that we'll soon have a 7th in Akok, because it means if you have a night where one is invisible (Bouknight) and one plays horrifically (Adams), you still have enough other places you can look to for points. The last time we could say that, not surprisingly, was the last year we went to the NCAAs.

I don't think we beat Indiana if they play as well as they did against FSU. Having said that, I will be disappointed if they shoot lights out like that against our defense, and this game means more to us than it does to them. Let's see what happens.
Josh was impressive last night. I have been critical of him lately. Let's see Indiana.

Reaction Score
Indiana's crowd was absolutely wild against FSU. Hopefully, there are more uconn fans at MSG.

Reaction Score
I was at MSG in 2013 when we played Indiana, and I'd say it was almost 50/50. But that was a weekend, and a 2 day tournament. I would like to think we will have the most fans in the building Tuesday night.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Indiana's crowd was absolutely wild against FSU. Hopefully, there are more uconn fans at MSG.

I was surprised that it seemed there were more IU fans last time at our game at MSG ( remember those red pajama pants?)... But Bazz did a nice job of quieting them.

Reaction Score
I said it after the Maine game and honestly I think the coaching staff said the same things to themselves, Josh just needs to add fakes into his game and know how to time them and he will be not a monster but a guy who can get us 10-14 pts a night and more importantly draw fouls on the other team's bigs who think he's a stiff.

He's always seemed to have good footwork and solid hands (at least compared to our bigs the last decade), but he's not an explosive athlete which is fine. If he adds genius timing with fakes to his already good footwork, he can be the kind of big that I feel has burned us for years with our focus on shot blocking. Not superb athletes, but just a nightmare to guard and try to block. Come in and do your spin move and when the defense thinks you're 100% going up with it, you put that fake up, get them in the air, and then bang off them and pop in an easy layup.

I know Iona isn't Memphis, and he might not have his way with future opponents quite as much, but a big man who knows how to use a fake and move his feet without traveling, knows how to stay patient in the middle, he can feast on any team. The only kind of bigs that will still give him difficulty are talented and experienced bigs, Juniors and Seniors, which there probably aren't that many of on our schedule.

Reaction Score
I was at MSG in 2013 when we played Indiana, and I'd say it was almost 50/50. But that was a weekend, and a 2 day tournament. I would like to think we will have the most fans in the building Tuesday night.

Yup! Should feel like just another home game in MSG. Our home away from home. Far travel on a Tuesday night for Indiana fans.

Reaction Score
I said it after the Maine game and honestly I think the coaching staff said the same things to themselves, Josh just needs to add fakes into his game and know how to time them and he will be not a monster but a guy who can get us 10-14 pts a night and more importantly draw fouls on the other team's bigs who think he's a stiff.

He's always seemed to have good footwork and solid hands (at least compared to our bigs the last decade), but he's not an explosive athlete which is fine. If he adds genius timing with fakes to his already good footwork, he can be the kind of big that I feel has burned us for years with our focus on shot blocking. Not superb athletes, but just a nightmare to guard and try to block. Come in and do your spin move and when the defense thinks you're 100% going up with it, you put that fake up, get them in the air, and then bang off them and pop in an easy layup.

I know Iona isn't Memphis, and he might not have his way with future opponents quite as much, but a big man who knows how to use a fake and move his feet without traveling, knows how to stay patient in the middle, he can feast on any team. The only kind of bigs that will still give him difficulty are talented and experienced bigs, Juniors and Seniors, which there probably aren't that many of on our schedule.
Josh already gives us 12.4 points a game and he's been really up and down so far this season.

Reaction Score
Josh already gives us 12.4 points a game and he's been really up and down so far this season.

Right! I'm just saying rather than ranging from 6 - 20 pts a game, he can get us 12-24. Like at a minimum if he can stay on the floor as long as Hurley wants to use him, he can get 10 every game just by using his fake well and soaking up fouls

Reaction Score
i was there too, my bro IU alum was so disappointed when noah vonleh was well defended on that last play and i was screaming in joy when the buzzer sounded. Napier was so ridiculous that night!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom