Tween Thread - Sept 29 comes before October 17 | The Boneyard

Tween Thread - Sept 29 comes before October 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not getting too far ahead of ourselves, but if we manage to pull a W out with the Fruits, next up is 3-1 UConn facing off against Houston. This will be by far the biggest game in UConn football history (surpassing our BCS Bowl). An upset win against the Cougars might just be what's needed to make the final statement on a bid for a Big 12 invite. Perhaps stating the obvious... but maybe that is why Diaco has been playing things so conservatively and not opening up the playbook? It would be borderline pure genius and a high risk program defining strategy by clawing our way through 4 games with vanilla to set up a shot at Houston...or not...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What would have a huge influence is a close game with a ton of eyeballs on the television in the New England market and in NYC.

Reaction Score
Not getting too far ahead of ourselves, but if we manage to pull a W out with the Fruits, next up is 3-1 UConn facing off against Houston. This will be by far the biggest game in UConn football history (surpassing our BCS Bowl). An upset win against the Cougars might just be what's needed to make the final statement on a bid for a Big 12 invite. Perhaps stating the obvious... but maybe that is why Diaco has been playing things so conservatively and not opening up the playbook? It would be borderline pure genius and a high risk program defining strategy by clawing our way through 4 games with vanilla to set up a shot at Houston...or not...

That would not be the biggest football game in UConn history. I don't know on what basis you could even make that argument.

Reaction Score
Would someone mind explaining the significance of October 17th? It also worries me that they play Houston only 5 days later on the road. That means a travel day and 3 practices?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Setting expectations and raising hopes for a game that we have an 80%-90% chance of losing? And if the inevitable happens, more calls for the heads of coaches and administrators?

If you can't see what you're doing to yourself, you might want to seek counselling.

Reaction Score
Would someone mind explaining the significance of October 17th? It also worries me that they play Houston only 5 days later on the road. That means a travel day and 3 practices?
Big 12 Presidents meeting

Reaction Score
That would not be the biggest football game in UConn history. I don't know on what basis you could even make that argument.
Biggest knock on UConn is the quality of the football program and distance. Houston by far has made the biggest football statement about being suitable. A win elevates us in the national spotlight and undermines the argument . The win itself does nothing, but the win surely helps the overall bid for entry. There are few games as significant. If we are destroyed, it doesn't help our case..

Reaction Score
Biggest knock on UConn is the quality of the football program and distance. Houston by far has made the biggest football statement about being suitable. A win elevates us in the national spotlight and undermines the argument . The win itself does nothing, but the win surely helps the overall bid for entry. There are few games as significant. If we are destroyed, it doesn't help our case..

You realize of course that you could have (and some people did) say EXACTLY what you are saying before we upset Louisville in '12. And it had zero effect on us not getting into the ACC?

Reaction Score
This is where that Navy L hurts. We pulp the Orange this Saturday and had beaten Navy we're 4-0 heading to Houston and the game is billed much differently than what it will be now.

Reaction Score
This is where that Navy L hurts. We pulp the Orange this Saturday and had beaten Navy we're 4-0 heading to Houston and the game is billed much differently than what it will be now.

The less press for the Houston game, the better. It could get pretty ugly.

I'll be back for my victory lap later. :cool:

Reaction Score

Honestly, I've even considered that same conclusion myself. That would be pretty dicey, but genius, if that was his intention and pulled it off. Or he's naively walking us right into a six touchdown drubbing on national prime time television.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
2 days after we beat USF .....and I will be at EPCOT drinking my way around the World?????

Reaction Score

I absolutely can't buy this theory of playing conservative and squeaking out wins so future opponents don't know the real game plan. How many successful programs enter a season with the philosophy "the first few games we'll play not to loose" and the second half of the season "we'll play to win".

Do you think Houston held back its game plan against Oklahoma because they didn't want Cincinnati, So. Fla, Navy, Temple, or ECU have an advantage in defending them?

Maybe that is why Notre Dame lost to Texas and Michigan State. They played not to loose so USC would not have a clue to their full offensive schemes.

I guess Louisville really held back against Syracuse because they didn't want Florida State to have a clue.

Most of the better teams play to win out of the season's starting gate. I don't think many add new wrinkles half way through the season because without prior use, they'd have not idea if adjustments are necessary.

I don't think UConn plays conservative on purpose, its probably all they got. They just are not that good or P5 worthy.

I certainly wouldn't wait till mid season if to find out if a new scheme works or not. I can hear the fans now........"what the "H" are they thinking" when it blows up their first attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom