TV Schedule for Sunday - Monday | The Boneyard

TV Schedule for Sunday - Monday

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

I am surprised that So Carolina and the UConn games were not scheduled to air on ABC I guess ESPN wanted them on their network and in the Evening. Baylor and the Lady Vols are good choices if you're not going to choose UConn and So Carolina.

I don't get ESPNU, so I need to determine if it worth signing up for one of the TV Streaming Service that offers it for one month. I have the same problem with the mens tournament so it may be worth it for a month.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
It sucks that the UConn men play at 7:10 Saturday, so the games overlap. But there is a plus side. If we watch the men's game in real time and tune into the women's game afterwards on the DVR, we can fast forward through the commercials and the half-time drivel (unless there's a nice half-time feature on UConn or a UConn player).

Reaction Score

I am surprised that So Carolina and the UConn games were not scheduled to air on ABC I guess ESPN wanted them on their network and in the Evening. Baylor and the Lady Vols are good choices if you're not going to choose UConn and So Carolina.

I don't get ESPNU, so I need to determine if it worth signing up for one of the TV Streaming Service that offers it for one month. I have the same problem with the mens tournament so it may be worth it for a month.
One reason I have YouTube TV. All the men's games will air on CBS, TNT, TBS and truTV channels. Same for the women's games, not only ESPN and ESPN2 but also ESPNU and ESPNNews.

Reaction Score
It is an enormous improvement not to have "wrap-around" coverage of the women's
games anymore. This year every game is broadcast. It used to be so frustrating to have
to watch a 1/16 game (unless it was UConn) or a 2/15 game when there were much
more competitive 8/9 ot 7/10 games going unseen (except in their limited regions).

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
games anymore. This year every game is broadcast. It used to be so frustrating to have
more competitive 8/9 ot 7/10 games going unseen (except in their limited regions).
The main reason for the wrap-around coverage is because of the different time zones when they are at different cities in different time zones. I believe that Debbie Antonelli had stated it when she was pushing for a one site tournament where all 64 teams play. She stated that it would be easier to cover all the games without the wrap-around coverage which would be cheaper for the networks and more enticing for the fans. It would allow the fans to have a choice on which games they wanted to watch instead of the Networks dictating what they could watch. On the costs of having 16 sites with 4 teams at each site, then 16 teams at 4 sites, then the Final Four at another site. The Networks would save millions just having one city with like 4 to 8 arenas and play everything there, the costs of moving the crews would be a quarter of what it is now. Then she stated that the fans would be able to plan for the games knowing where their team is going to play because of everything being in the same city for three weeks. I believe she would be mostly correct because people could make reservation so far in advance that they would also be able to enjoy it more and have plans to where they could make it more of a vacation then just waiting until a week before the tournament and scrambling to get a hotel room, tickets, and plane reservations, so they could see their team.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Will all the UConn games be available for viewing on replay

Wi

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The main reason for the wrap-around coverage is because of the different time zones when they are at different cities in different time zones. I believe that Debbie Antonelli had stated it when she was pushing for a one site tournament where all 64 teams play. She stated that it would be easier to cover all the games without the wrap-around coverage which would be cheaper for the networks and more enticing for the fans. It would allow the fans to have a choice on which games they wanted to watch instead of the Networks dictating what they could watch. On the costs of having 16 sites with 4 teams at each site, then 16 teams at 4 sites, then the Final Four at another site. The Networks would save millions just having one city with like 4 to 8 arenas and play everything there, the costs of moving the crews would be a quarter of what it is now. Then she stated that the fans would be able to plan for the games knowing where their team is going to play because of everything being in the same city for three weeks. I believe she would be mostly correct because people could make reservation so far in advance that they would also be able to enjoy it more and have plans to where they could make it more of a vacation then just waiting until a week before the tournament and scrambling to get a hotel room, tickets, and plane reservations, so they could see their team.
Really, you had to invoke HER name? From now on, let's refer to her as "she who shall remain nameless due to her strong and wrong opinions about WCBB" how's that? Next time it's a 1 day penalty of NO BONEYARD posts for you!
;)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
One of the advantages of satellite TV (DirecTV / Dish) was that all games were available in their entirety. My issue with wrap-around is exactly what you indicate. A second issue would be, while local teams were "protected", Rutgers would not have been a local team in Arizona.

Basically, we made our own wrap-around, watching the most intriguing game in each time slot, and if it got one-sided, we would switch to a game that was more exciting. Scores for simultaneous games were always in a corner on the screen.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There is a lot of truth in what you say, although the future plans are consolidating the Sweet 16 / Elite 8, rather than the opening rounds which will continue to be earned and which is when wrap-around occurs.

But the reason for wrap-around is not what you say - obviously, all games were televised in their entirety, with upwards to 4 games going on at once. What ESPN did was select just parts to show to the nationwide audience, thus not using up space on multiple stations. As I noted above, the separate feeds (which were broadcast in their entirety to school's home areas) were available nationally on some "one use" stations on DirecTV (in the same area as NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, etc are broadcast).

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Really, you had to invoke HER name? From now on, let's refer to her as "she who shall remain nameless due to her strong and wrong opinions about WCBB" how's that? Next time it's a 1 day penalty of NO BONEYARD posts for you!
;)
This is the only time that I give her credit for a good idea when it comes to WCBB.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This is the only time that I give her credit for a good idea when it comes to WCBB.
See, you are learning...You're a good man! Well done.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

If you're a true college basketball fan, it's worth it. I'm not trying to spend your money, but this is a once a year event, and the last one of this season. You can always get more money. Besides, you can't take it with you anyway. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Trying to watch the highlights on ESPN doesn't cut it. :cool: Enjoy the games.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The pandemic has been the impetus for lots of changes in our day-to-day lives. Like working from home. Ordering your groceries "on-line" and having them delivered to your door step. I remember her suggesting that concept a couple of years ago, but it never grew any legs............until now.

Depending on how it goes, having the tournament at one site may become the new normal for the NCAA tournaments. The participants will save money on travel costs. The networks will save money by not needing as many production crews. The real winners in a scenario of this nature would be the fans. You travel to one city and stay in one hotel. You could buy one tournament pass, and see any/every game at any venue IN PERSON.

No doubt the coaches and athletic directors will have some input which may or may not carry any weight. I think the bottom line is the profit margin. I would welcome the opportunity to attend a tournament played at a single location AFTER this pandemic has been put to rest, and things return to normal, or as close to normal as we can get. If this thing goes over, and the reduced costs puts more $$$ in the coffers, it just might catch on. Remember the rule of thumb in big business: "It's ALWAYS about the money." ;)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom