TV Ratings | The Boneyard

TV Ratings

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

UConn games against St. Johns and Creighton had 580k and 610k viewers respectively. Middle of the pack for basketball games last week. Not sure if this bodes well or not for a possible renegotiation of the current tv deal.
I’d say pulling over half a million viewers for a UConn basketball game, one of which was a Monday afternoon, is fantastic. Can only imagine what our numbers will be in 2 or 3 years when we are consistently a top 15 team.

Don’t know how much this helps, but being FOX’s #1 & #2 college hoops game of the week certainly won’t hurt.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Also makes sense why they tried to do a Men’s and Women’s double header on FOX this coming Sunday.

First Sunday without football in 4 months and FOX turned over the entire Sunday Afternoon programming to UConn. Impressive.

Reaction Score
The problem we have is that the Big East is on a crappy network. FOX is a distant 3rd in terms of college basketball coverage. It regularly gets killed vs CBS and ESPN in head to head coverage on the main networks and usually does on FS 1 even by ESPN Regional games as well. Even with lesser games. Heck the AAC game on CBS crushed Villanova on Fox and Villanova is one of the few NBE teams with some national credentials and it was Fox highest rated game. I suspect that it doesn’t exactly help that NBE doesn’t really have much in terms of teams with a national Profile. Villanova and UConn. Georgetown if they were any good or if they cared. But they have an Ivy League outlook these days rather than Hoya Paranoia. Nobody is getting the women in the family to turn off Bridgeton to watch Butler-Creighton on a network they probably can’t find anyway.

Reaction Score
Nobody is getting the women in the family to turn off Bridgeton to watch Butler-Creighton on a network they probably can’t find anyway.
bridgerton is downton abbey for the feeble minded so don't pretend it's not you watching it

Reaction Score
The problem we have is that the Big East is on a crappy network. FOX is a distant 3rd in terms of college basketball coverage. It regularly gets killed vs CBS and ESPN in head to head coverage on the main networks and usually does on FS 1 even by ESPN Regional games as well. Even with lesser games. Heck the AAC game on CBS crushed Villanova on Fox and Villanova is one of the few NBE teams with some national credentials and it was Fox highest rated game. I suspect that it doesn’t exactly help that NBE doesn’t really have much in terms of teams with a national Profile. Villanova and UConn. Georgetown if they were any good or if they cared. But they have an Ivy League outlook these days rather than Hoya Paranoia. Nobody is getting the women in the family to turn off Bridgeton to watch Butler-Creighton on a network they probably can’t find anyway.

Serious question. Don't you ever get exhausted needing to take incredibly negative and pessimistic views on absolutely everything?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

I'd argue that outside of Duke, Kentucky and UNC, there aren't many teams with a consistent "national" profile in CBB. The "casual" fan of the game will always flock to watch those three teams because they are always given the primetime spots. But outside of those 3, no team pulls that type of audience who tunes in "just cause". I'd bet that 80% or 90% of the viewers for the rest of CBB have a strong vested interest in one of the teams playing and are specifically tuning in for them.

Will I tune in for a match-up of Texas vs Baylor? Sure. Villanova vs Creighton? Sure. Louisville vs Clemson? Sure. But I'm not planning my evening around watching those games like I do with UConn. If they happen to be on TV while I am flipping through the guide, I might tune in. And FS1 is right next to ESPN/2 in the guide, so it's not like I have to scroll through 1,000 channels to see what's on.

Let's not pretend that people are really tuning in for Virginia Tech vs NC State on ESPN2 any more than Creighton vs Butler on FS1, just because it's on an ESPN network.

Reaction Score
I am back on an antenna for regular channels, how did they count me?
They count someone like you wearing a device and count them as your vote. Then they do that a thousand times and assume any variance will mostly average out.

Reaction Score
Ratings are down for every sports in the Covid era. That mighty ESPN2 got a poor rating for Stanford/Arizona with ESPN #1 TV crew doing the game.

Thursday 1/28:
Michigan State/Rutgers (7:00, FS1): 350K
UCONN/Arkansas (6:00, ESPN2 women): 287K
South Carolina/Mississippi State (7:00, ESPN women): 221K
Memphis/SMU (8:00, ESPN2): 174K
Stanford/Arizona (10:00, ESPN2): 161K
Houston/Tulane (9:00, ESPN): 143K

Unless you are the Big Ten, Kentucky or Duke, most if not all college games are not getting a big rating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom