TV Ratings for Conference Championship Games | The Boneyard

TV Ratings for Conference Championship Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-3-14-15-2015.html

QPLFMN0.png

Reaction Score
It's sad what's become of that great BET.

Reaction Score
Sounds about right we did beat the Pac 12 granted they lose viewers due to the time difference but still think its worth nothing we beat P5 conference championship game

The BE is sad after Thursday-Friday of the ncaas the big east was my favorite thing to watch all year

Reaction Score
After seeing these ratings I'm glad we aren't joining the Big East. They really have become the Big Least as far as TV exposure on wothless TV. I know they are getting a lot of money for the contract but they are paying with less viewers and buzz than the AAC.
It is a 12 year deal so there is plenty of time for FS to make up the losses.

Reaction Score
It is a 12 year deal so there is plenty of time for FS to make up the losses.
Do you really think Big East viewership is going to go up with the teams they have in that league? I don't see any team in that league attracting a large TV audience. They are a league of has beens.

Reaction Score
Do you really think Big East viewership is going to go up with the teams they have in that league? I don't see any team in that league attracting a large TV audience. They are a league of has beens.
Significantly? No.

Marginally? Probably.

it will be a failed venture for FS but the schools will make out like thieves. Which for that group is fitting.

Reaction Score
After seeing these ratings I'm glad we aren't joining the Big East. They really have become the Big Least as far as TV exposure on wothless TV. I know they are getting a lot of money for the contract but they are paying with less viewers and buzz than the AAC.

UConn traded money for exposure.

But, really, the BE makes $4m per team, AAC is at $2m per team.

Given the exit fees, etc., a move to the BE would have meant less exposure and less money for UConn.

You'd think that after seeding UConn and Louisville low last year, and leaving SMU completely out, while the Big East bombed in the tourney, the committee would have realized it had things backwards.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Honestly, I dont think the BE would have such terrible numbers if they had stayed w/ ESPN. Conversely, if the AAC championship game was on FS1 or NBCSN how would that have affected the ratings?

The biggest mistake the BE ever made was telling ESPN they were going to shop around their TV contract. ESPN destroyed the league and now they are toiling away on Fox while no one watches.

ESPN is essentially the mob. You accept what you are given and don't ask questions. Life isn't so bad if you do what you are told, but if you complain you can expect to get a couple fingers broken or worse. No sense looking to leave until there is another boss in town.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The biggest mistake the BE ever made was telling ESPN they were going to shop around their TV contract. ESPN destroyed the league and now they are toiling away on Fox while no one watches.

Who was that a big mistake for? Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, TCU, Rutgers, Louisville, Villanova, DePaul, Seton Hall, Marquette, Georgetown, St. Johns, Providence and Notre Dame all increased their revenue for the same product by at least 100% by turning down the ESPN Big East deal. That doesn't seem like a mistake to me. Is less money better than more money?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Honestly, I dont think the BE would have such terrible numbers if they had stayed w/ ESPN. Conversely, if the AAC championship game was on FS1 or NBCSN how would that have affected the ratings?

ESPN is essentially the mob. You accept what you are given and don't ask questions. Life isn't so bad if you do what you are told, but if you complain you can expect to get a couple fingers broken or worse. No sense looking to leave until there is another boss in town.
And who rejected that contract? Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and Georgetown. Notre Dame because they had a sweetheart deal with NBC and why not push for more. They could land anywhere if things went bad. Georgetown because they sincerely felt the conference was worth more and had no clue that there were Judas's in the fold. Funny that a Jesuit school missed the boat on this. And then the Judas - Pitt which chaired the BE when that contract was voted against. Why a Judas. Although I can't be absolutely certain, it is my belief based on the timing they had to have been in discussions with the ACC at the time the contract was voted against. I don't like Syracuse, but at least they voted for the contract.

When Cuse, Pitt, WV and ND left the Catholics were afraid that UConn, Ville and/or Cinci might be poached in the future so they voted to break away from the football schools. Georgetown was the only Catholic that wanted to keep the league together. It was the correct thing for the Catholics and for the remaining football schools to part ways. I have nothing against the NBE. The handwriting is on the wall. They would never accept UConn even if it dropped football, which, imo, would be foolish. We don't fit culturally with them.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Who was that a big mistake for? Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, TCU, Rutgers, Louisville, Villanova, DePaul, Seton Hall, Marquette, Georgetown, St. Johns, Providence and Notre Dame all increased their revenue for the same product by at least 100% by turning down the ESPN Big East deal. That doesn't seem like a mistake to me. Is less money better than more money?

Knowing what we know now, the big mistake was for the current Big East Catholic schools + UConn, USF, Cinci. If the BE never broke up Those 10 schools would all be making more money than they are currently, and would be getting better ratings on ESPN.

Wasn't the payout for BBall schools going to be about $7 mil? The Catholic schools would certainly be making more money and would have better TV deals if we took the initial offer. If we hadnt turned that down ESPN would have probably left the league as it were for another 10 years.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Knowing what we know now, the big mistake was for the current Big East Catholic schools + UConn, USF, Cinci. If the BE never broke up Those 10 schools would all be making more money than they are currently, and would be getting better ratings on ESPN.

Wasn't the payout for BBall schools going to be about $7 mil? The Catholic schools would certainly be making more money and would have better TV deals if we took the initial offer. If we hadnt turned that down ESPN would have probably left the league as it were for another 10 years.

No they wouldn't. The basketball payout was going to be flat to the prior contract at around $2MM per hoops school. They are making about $4.5MM a year now.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
@fleudslipcon I agree the Catholic schools ended up making the right decision by parting ways w/ the leftovers. I also believe they would be getting better ratings on ESPN. Only time will tell what affect signing on Fox will really have for them. The ratings are not good so far.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Can somebody break down the payment for rights to the Big East name that the C7 paid? Has that already been paid out by the C7, and has it already been distributed to the AAC schools that get it... and which members get it? Refresh my memory.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
No they wouldn't. The basketball payout was going to be flat to the prior contract at around $2MM per hoops school. They are making about $4.5MM a year now.

I thought the payout would have been higher for BBall based on my recollection - which is not always correct. Can't seem to find anything now besides the deal would have been about $130 mil a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom