Turnover improvement | The Boneyard

Turnover improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know stats can be deceiving but from comparing stats from last year to this year the biggest improvement from last year to this year appears to be turnovers. Fumbles lost last year 16 compared to 6 this year and 12 interceptions thrown last year to 9 this year. The defense intercepted 8 passes last year and intercepted 17 this year. Fumbles recovered was 7 for both years. All the other stats were slightly better this year but nothing eye popping.

Reaction Score
I know stats can be deceiving but from comparing stats from last year to this year the biggest improvement from last year to this year appears to be turnovers. Fumbles lost last year 16 compared to 6 this year and 12 interceptions thrown last year to 9 this year. The defense intercepted 8 passes last year and intercepted 17 this year. Fumbles recovered was 7 for both years. All the other stats were slightly better this year but nothing eye popping.

... and I don't believe Newsome had a single fumble this year.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Put another way : if we had the same turnovers as last year, we probably would have had a similar record. It's the biggest reason for our improved record this year though.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Put another way : if we had the same turnovers as last year, we probably would have had a similar record. It's the biggest reason for our improved record this year though.

Of all the stats in football that people measure, besides the final score of course, turnover margin is the most predictive of performance. And it's absolutely the reason we were in a bowl game. Using Devland's numbers, we went from -13 margin to +9. That's huge. That's also what our defense is designed to do; bend-don't-break, and wait for the other team to make the mistake.

I have to admit that there are times, like yesterday, where I wish we would get a little more aggressive with our corners and with bringing an extra backer for pressure. When you have an anemic offense, you can't give them 9 minutes less clock than the other team's offense, even if you keep their score to 16 points. IMO, we've got to think a little more about the "3-and-out turnovers" now that we've corrected the real turnovers...

Reaction Score
Of all the stats in football that people measure, besides the final score of course, turnover margin is the most predictive of performance. And it's absolutely the reason we were in a bowl game. Using Devland's numbers, we went from -13 margin to +9. That's huge. That's also what our defense is designed to do; bend-don't-break, and wait for the other team to make the mistake.

I have to admit that there are times, like yesterday, where I wish we would get a little more aggressive with our corners and with bringing an extra backer for pressure. When you have an anemic offense, you can't give them 9 minutes less clock than the other team's offense, even if you keep their score to 16 points. IMO, we've got to think a little more about the "3-and-out turnovers" now that we've corrected the real turnovers...

It's a good point, but did you see anyone on ur defense who could consistently make those runs?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's a good point, but did you see anyone on ur defense who could consistently make those runs?

???

If you are referring to the LB that we bring for pressure, then yes. We've used Stewart in that role before, and I think it has been effective. Even if it is just to move the QB around and get him off of his progression, that is good enough. Against a QB that doesn't scramble well, it ends up feeding guys like Carrezola, Stapleton, Adeyemi, and Fatukasi. Even without bringing that LB, Fatukasi was #45 in the nation with 7 solo sacks. Imagine what he would have had if we brought a 5th guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom